which preparation did you most value postoperatively????????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

which preparation did you most value postoperatively????????? which preparation did you most value postoperatively?????????

Unread 05-08-2005, 03:16 PM
which preparation did you most value postoperatively????????????????????????????????

The best money I spent prior to my surgery was for a really soft squishy pillow from Target.
I had gone to treat myself to recovery pajamas,panties,socks,slippers.
Then I remembered reading on this website someone suggesting you get a stuffed animal or pillow to hold against the incision for coughing and sneezing.
I saw these little pillows that happened to match the jammies and picked it up.
Little did I know how much use that $6- purchase would get me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2005, 04:17 PM
which preparation did you most value postoperatively?????????

Hi,

I have to say the swelly belly band was a great investment!! It just helps hold things in and is wonderful while driving, as it sits under the lap seatbelt area.

I wear it every day while walking on the treadmill and it just gives you that extra support. I have never used the "chill" function, but I just love that feeling of nothing "falling out".

I am 8 weeks post op now and still use it almost every day that I am out doing things. It is like my security blanket.

BarbNJ

TAH BSO 3/10/05 Vivelle Dot .05 48 years old
Unread 05-08-2005, 04:20 PM

The picker-upper thing was my best investment. I almost didn't get it, figuring I wouldn't need it with a TVH. But I used it all the time the first week or so. I couldn't believe how much stuff I dropped or simply need to pick up. I used it to get stuff out of the dryer and back of the dishwasher. Used it to change the speeds on the ceiling fans. Pick up the dog's food and water dishes. Get rolls of TP out from the bottom cabinet. Washed it off between all these jobs, of course LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2005, 04:58 PM

Um..., gas-x and prune juice . Then the squishy pillow.
Unread 05-08-2005, 07:28 PM

that I'd visited this site *a lot* pre-op...

my comfy draw-string pj bottoms, and matching 3/4 length robes from the Gap - I almost look "dressed" wearing them...

having a freezer full of small containers of homemade chicken broth...

having lots of great books to read...

my assumption that I'd need my husband's help *a lot*, which I have!
Unread 05-08-2005, 07:39 PM
which preparation did you most value postoperatively?

Awful as it was...the dreaded presurgical bowel prep.
One less thing to worry about post surgery.
Unread 05-08-2005, 08:13 PM

A friend who had a TAH told me I needed to get a pair of bicycle shorts to wear post-op from Walmart. I didn't do it but wish I had. Two weeks out now and we picked up a pair Friday. They really do feel nice! I've only taken them off to wash them. LOL! Nice to walk around without holding my tummy.
I'm also glad I got my thank-you cards ahead of time. It gave me something to do in the early part of recovery when my attention span didn't last very long. I also have to say those were the most creatively written thank-you notes I have ever done!
Unread 05-08-2005, 08:48 PM

Hi Everybody.

I just love this site! A friend of mine turned me on to this about 3 weeks before my surgery and I have been addicted to it ever since!!

I had my partial hysterectomy just 6 days ago and thanks to all the pre op advice I received on this site I am doing very well. My uterus was the size of a pineapple according to my Dr. (funny how in Hawaii we relate uterus size to tropical fruit!!!) My uterus was filled with fibroids. I was going to the potty all the time prior to my surgery as my huge uterus was pushing on my bladder and now, I am happy to report that I can hold my pee for hours at a time!!! So you see..... Progress already.

The things that I'm glad I got prior to the surgery..... DEFINATELY the Body Hug size pillow that I got at Walmart!!! I brought it to the hospital with me and it helped me feel so comfy as I recuperated! The slinky nylon jammie I would never wear under normal circumstances but whoever suggested it was absolutely right. It makes it much easier to move your sore body around when you have that slinky material under your hiney. Otherwise you are going to have to lift your hinderparts up a little when you move and it's too painful. Get the slinky jammie. The Gas-X worked wonders and of course the Senokot pills are a must! I pop one of those a day and I am happy to report that I have not had one single painful bm.

Here's a delicious way to get out of painful bm's that I like, too! Buy a big Costco sized bag of mixed dried fruit and munch on them when ever your heart desires!!! No such thing as a painful bm will happen!! And this will be great to get some fiber in the diet as well.

For a swelly, painful belly I used a nice cool ice pack (the gel kind) and held it in place with one of those back support bands. Worked great for me!

Those are the suggestions that worked for me.

I have been out hiking in the cool of the evening the past two nights and a walking stick was great to hold onto for support.

Happy healing ladies!!! And those of you who are going in for surgery---Never Fear!!! I will keep you in my prayers!! The good results afterwards are so, so worth it!!

Love you!
Unread 05-08-2005, 09:29 PM

My bib overalls. Nothing to rub against my sore incision....I lived in them for several days after I was out of the Jammies stage.

isewquilts
Unread 05-08-2005, 11:25 PM

The best preparation I did prior to surgery was going to the grocery store and loading up on the things I like to eat. If I left it up to my husband, he'd order pizza every night. I got about 25 of the Weight Watchers, Heathy Choice & Smart Ones frozen dinners, sugar free jellos, healthy choice soups, Weight watchers, ice cream, low fat cookies, etc. etc. Because of that, I've not only eaten what I like, I've lost 10 pounds since my surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register