DVT, Obstruction and AVM's | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DVT, Obstruction and AVM's DVT, Obstruction and AVM's

Unread 05-08-2005, 09:21 PM
DVT, Obstruction and AVM's

Well the answers that we had prayed many months for are finally being given after a long journey.

I have seen the Vascular Surgeon and await Angiogram and a CT Angiogram. Diagnosed with a complete obstruction at the junction of the femoral and the iliac as it goes into the pelvis. The intersection between the artery and the vein is blocked as it moves from the thigh/groin and into my pelvis. The doctor does not know how this has happened or why, but suspects this is not the first time. It is believed to be a blood clot in the deep venous system. Unlike varicose veins there is little that can be done to repair the damaged valves because it is in the "deeper" part of my venous system as opposed to what is called the "superficial system." I shared my concerns regarding significant swelling in my legs and pain with my primary physician for over a year but no one ever took further steps to understand why. I am so thankful that I didn't give up trying to find the answers. This news was totally unexpected, and came as a result of a routine pre-consult exam with the Vascular Surgeon. Now we are hoping to learn more about the blockage and pray the Angio will be done soon. I have to wear compression garments (stockings) on both legs which makes for an interesting change in life at a young age. I am just 30 years old. But I am trying to look at it with a positive perspective as I feel it really makes a huge difference. No, it isn't the most fashionable but there is little I wouldn't do if it means perhaps saving me from an embolism. The risks for me are very serious if the the clot were to migrate to the brain, lungs or heart. We are told to be prepared, that there may be little time should I suffer an embolism. It is a deep personal challenge of faith for me not knowing that my life may be taken by something I can't see within. It has turned our lives upsidedown and yet put so many things right side up in our hearts. We have two little blessings (age 3 and 18 months) and it is so hard to discuss such things and face such fears. Yet, I know I am not going through this alone. In addition the Surgeon believes that the abnormal vasculature and complex masses that keep appearing are AVM's. AVM's are very rare congenital arterial venous malformations. They usually occur in the brain but in my case they are throughout my pelvis. It is validating, humbling and frightening all at the same time. The Angio will likely tell us more. We are facing this as a family with hope that I can get the care I need now, and holding on to faith.

Blessings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2005, 05:40 AM

(((blessings)))
Wow, you have some answers now, but boy are they scary answers. I hope the angio can be done soon as well. Those stockings----I know they are definately not fashionable..lol...and are difficult to put on at times, but they work miracles. Your docs are right about the change and how quickly it can take place...it can happen in a matter of seconds unfortunately. I am sure that you and your family will get through yet another hurdle with your faith as strong as ever. you are in my prayers
Unread 05-09-2005, 09:21 AM

Reading your posts has been so inspiring to me. I cannot imagine what you have gone through as you have had so many complications and no understood why. I am so thankful you are beginning to get answers, even though the prospects are frightening indeed.

I loved your comment about this turning your life upside down but your heart right side up. That is so beautiful and so profound.

I will be praying for you as you navigate this path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Praying For An Angio Date

Thank you for your thoughtful replies.

We are praying for our phone to ring with a date for the Angiogram. The doctor is trying to secure a booking in a very busy hospital system.

I have begun experiencing increasing dizzy spells and headaches from the pressure of the suspected AVM's and the venous obstruction. I can feel how weakened my body is from having to work so hard just to manage blood flow. We really need this test and the waiting is a certain challenge especially now that we know there is a blockage.

Our hearts are hopeful.

Blessings
Unread 05-11-2005, 01:25 PM

I am glad you got some answers.....I hope all goes well. I have suffered from blood clots. I had one in each lung. I'm amazed I'm still alive. No one would listen to me about my chest pain. All the doctors and nurses in the hospital kept telling me I was fine because all my vital signs looked fine. I was just having extreme chest pain and shortness of breath. It wasn't until 24 hours later that my BP dropped and the dcotor finally took me seriously. I was rushed to ICU and put on Heparin and Coumadin. I was scared out of my mind. I have 4 beautiful children that I did not want to leave! Thankfully, I am fine now, but the fear that this could happen again is always in the back of my mind. I was very persistent about my pain and didn't stop complaining and as you know, that persistence pays off. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. I can honestly say that I know how you are feeling
Unread 05-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks and Update!

Our prayers were answered when this morning I received a date for my Angiogram. It will be one week today, on May the 19th. We will be at the hospital about 8 o'clock and the procedure will begin at 10 o'clock that morning. It will take about 1.5 to 2 hours to complete the procedure and then I will be in recovery for about 4-6 hours or so. After I will rest at home, as I will not be able to move around a whole lot for a little while. I am understandably scared but very hopeful. I am so thankful that we have a date and continue to pray for comfort as we go through this and all that lies ahead.

Thank you so much for your care and kindness

Blessings
Unread 05-18-2005, 05:44 PM
DVT, Obstruction, & AVM's

Oh Blessings!
I have kept up with all of your posts, and my prayers have been with you these many months throughout your travails... I will be thinking about you and your wonderful and supportive family tomorrow as your procedure to determine the depth of your unusual medical problems progresses... You are an incredible young woman, and the strength I have gotten from reading your posts during my 6 months of a successful hysterectomy recovery and then a repeat breast cancer diagnosis has been indescribable... You can do this, and you will do it in amazing fashion! You are really something incredible!

s for tomorrow!

Mary
Unread 05-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Thank You...Ready for the day.

Special thanks Mary. What you have shared has really touched my heart, and to think that you have been impacted in a positive way really means a great deal. Thanks so much for your encouragement and prayers. I will be thinking about that tomorrow in times of apprehension.

Well things are all set for tomorrow's procedure. We are to be at the hospital early at 8AM and will be there for the duration of the day into the evening. I am hoping to come home to recover comfortably in my own bed. The Angio will explore the blockage and then move on to evaluate for AVM's the arterialvenous malformations. I have been having really severe nausea, headaches and dizziness the past few weeks. I am praying that it does not mean that there are AVM's beyond the pelvic cavity. Because they usually appear in the brain there is some cause for concern. Perhaps it is my increased blood pressure because of the arterial venous obstruction. I guess we will know soon.

I am hopeful and yet fearful. There is an increased risk of stroke during the procedure because I have a blockage right now. If it were to dislodge it could lead to a pulmonary embolism. So it is a hard test to face, and yet we know it is the only true way the doctors can get the imaging they need. A stroke is one of my deepest fears. I am a young Mom with two little blessings and the thought of that is terrifying. Nevertheless, I do know that I am in God's hands and trust that He will guide the doctor's hands. It truly is incredible that a procedure like this is even possible, so delicate and intricate. It is wonderous and scary all in the same.

Tomorrow I will take all the positive thoughts and prayers with me, and let that be my comfort. Thank you for your care and compassion. It is an honour to be able to share what is on my heart with you.

Blessings
Unread 05-23-2005, 06:14 PM

Blessings,

I pray that soon you will be well enough to post. Check every day to learn if you have checked in.

This is a very little bit and is intended to be helpful if you experience a clot. COUGH, and keep on coughing all the way to the ER. To trigger a deep cough stick something blunt in your ear.

Why do I remember these strange tidbits?

I will continue to pray for you and your family.

Susan
Unread 05-24-2005, 03:02 PM
DVT, Obstruction, & AVM's

Hi dear blessings;
Like Susan and many others, I check several times a day for your most recent post, and while I search, I add a prayer for your strength and improvement... You are such an inspiration - I believe you chose the name "blessings" because it really does fit you! I think it really is for your children, but you are truly a blessing to me and to others on this list... You are such a courageous young woman! WOW!!

Love and s!!!

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register