Can anyone tell me how hyst compares to c-section? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can anyone tell me how hyst compares to c-section? Can anyone tell me how hyst compares to c-section?

Unread 05-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Can anyone tell me how hyst compares to c-section?

Hi all, I'm new here and have been scheduled for a uterine only hysterectomy on 6/21 for DUB that has been going on for 2 years. I'm 37 and have had 2 c-sections and a Tubal Ligation and I'm wondering how my hysterectomy will compare. My recoveries from the c-sections were always really easy, up and around within hours and needing very little pain meds, but when I read the posts here I'm thinking that to feel it will be anything similar would be overly optimistic.

Thanks!

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2005, 01:23 PM

Hi and welcome!

I didn't have a C-section, but, as a medical professional and former nurse, I do know that the two surgeries, other than the incision placement, are very, very different. So you can't really compare the recovery of one to the other - it'd be like comparing apples to oranges - both a fruit, but very different.

With a hyst, you're having an organ removed instead of just cut and sewn back up. You have literally hundreds of internal stitches holding everything together, not just a few to sew up the incision in the uterus. Blood vessels are severed, nerves are severed, ligaments and tendons are severed and reattached. There is much, much more involved than with a C-section.

The anesthesia is very different too. Most women have epidurals and are awake during C-sections, but with a hyst, you are under general anesthesia for hours at a time. This can cause lingering effects and fatigue for many weeks and even months.

In addition, most women who have c-sections are released from the hospital the next day. Women who have a TAH usually spend two to three nights in the hospital. That says a lot right there!

On top of all of that, the majority of women who are having a TAH have had some medical problem going into the surgery which is the reason for the surgery. Whether it's chronic pain, anemia, excessive bleeding, etc, the very conditions which cause us to need the surgery in the first place can wear us down before surgery and extend our recovery times as well.

Some women do say they have an easier recovery from their hysterectomy than from their c-section. A plus is that at least you've had abdominal surgery before and know a bit of what to expect. Some ladies, however, do find it more difficult. Since we're all individuals, no one can say for sure what your experience will be.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 05-09-2005, 05:36 PM

I have had an easier time so far with my hysterectomy simply because I am in a different place than I was back then. Now I have an almost grown son who can help instead of an infant that I had to carry around while I was recovering. I also went back to work at 8 weeks then, now I stay at home so I have more of a chance to rest, nap and take care of myself instead of a newborn. I had complications with the csection (before and after) and none with the hysterectomy. Almost the same length of stay (five days with one, four with the other), general anesthesia for both, off pain meds quickly and the same incision site (it healed quickly it's just more noticeable this time around). I was lucky and have had a very easy time of it so far (knock on wood).

Good luck with your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2005, 09:16 PM

Thanks Ladies. I had general anesthesia with my first c-section, so I feel pretty well prepared for that, I also had severe hemoraging at that time so I know that at least will be better. I hadn't really considered all the internal stitches though! That will be more incentive for me to take it easy (I'm not very good at that )

Your posts were very helpful!

M
Unread 05-09-2005, 09:38 PM

Mary,
I also have had 2 c-sections. I had a TAH on April 26th and I had alot of scar tissue from my previous c-sections that she had to remove. I have to say, I myself, had a much easier time with my c-sections as far as the soreness and pain went. I'm not saying it has been bad this time, I'm just saying I have been alot more sore than I was with my c-sections. My DR says it is because of all the scar tissue she had to remove. I am 13 days post-op and still a little sore, I tend to get more sore the more active I am. Like tonight my DS had a band concert and setting for almost 2 hours in the same positon had made me more sore. Just remember everyone is different and you may have an easier time than you did with your c-sections.

'S Shan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register