Anyone had this happen--colon/rectal prolapse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone had this happen--colon/rectal prolapse Anyone had this happen--colon/rectal prolapse

Unread 05-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Anyone had this happen--colon/rectal prolapse

HI ladies,

I haven't posted in an while because I moved and we don't have internet access yet. I am only able to check in through the library computer, so if it takes me a few days to respond that is why.

First--I have had a hysterectomy back in Dec 02. It was a supracervical leaving one ovary. Then in Oct of 03 I had the cervix removed. Now I only have the one ovary remaining.

Last December I had a paravaginal repair with A&P repairs from below for a grade 3 cystocele and rectocele. ALmost immediately after the surgery I started feeling like something was "stuck" to my left side and bm's were so painful I would break out in a cold sweat and pray that I wouldn't pass out sitting on the throne! I asked my surgeon and he just said to take more stool softnener. Well finally about three weeks ago I went back because I can again see a buldge coming out of the vagina and I have to splint to have a bm. The surgeon said I had a new rectocele and an enterocele. But he said from my symptoms he thought there was something else happening.

So--I go in for a defecogram 1.5 weeks ago and the colon rectal surgeon says that it is not a rectocele but an intestinal/rectal prolapse. He said all of my insides have fallen down and are just folding in on themselves--he called it an intusseption. So now the colon/rectal doc says I need a suspention of my intestines including removing 1-2 foot of bowel.

My question is--has this happened to ANYONE out there? I feel so alone and I am scared to death of yet another surgery right on the heels of the last one. I am also worried that the first guy said i have a "new rectocele and enterocele" and the colon doc says it is this other problem.

ANY advice is much appreciated!!!! I will try to check back in a couple of days. If you would rather send a private message that is fine also.

Thanks for the help

Becky

PS..the colon doc says this happens to a lot of women who have undergone hysterectomy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2005, 06:10 PM

Sounds like the 2nd doc...the colon guy...came to his conclusion based on what was seen in the defecogram. He sees more because of that test. Of course, you can always get another opinion by taking your defecogram test results to another colon guy.

I am so very sorry to hear you are going through so much! I, too, have been through many tests lately........off work 3 weeks now...........to find out what is wrong in my abdomen. I'm sure such things have been seen by the colon guy before, but do not want to believe that it happens to "a lot" of women after hysterectomy.

My GI guy won't do a defecogram, which has me frustrated. He has done a CAT scan of my abdomen, a small bowel series, an UGI scope, and has scheduled me for a flexible sigmoid scope next week. Have been to a neurologist, internist, OB/GYN, and now the GI guy. My problem is different than yours......I have chronic pain they do not believe they can fix.

Even though you have had enough of surgeries, does your colon guy feel that 1 more shall resolve your problem?

I will pray that you shall find the strength to get through this ordeal, and that your resolution shall be your final step in these health problems.

I hope that someone else out there who's experienced your exact situation will find this thread and bring you some solace. s.................Deb
Unread 05-09-2005, 09:34 PM

Hi Becky,

I am so sorry that you are having so many problems.

I have not gone through exactly what you have, but some of my experiences and symptoms are similar to yours.

I would definitley get at least one more opinion, or as many as possible. The more these doctors work on our insides the worse it can get, so I would proceed with a great deal of caution.

I have not heard of an intestinal prolapse before, but I am sure it happens more than we know. Some of the hystersisters have had some of thier colon removed (surferbabe is one).

I will be interested to follow your story and see how you do, so please keep us posted on what happens.

Best wishes and may the doctors offer you lots of hope.

Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2005, 03:02 PM

I know you are dreading more surgery, but intesseption is something that must be surgically dealt with...it definately warrants surgery. Let me see if I can try to explain what it is....it is more than just the bowel twisting on itself....ugh this is hard to explain without a visual..lol...let's say you have 4 feet of colon...the left side slides into the right side kind of inside outwards...forget it this is too difficult to explain, I strongly suggest you doing some google searches on it...this is a very serious condition and needs to be addressed asap.
Unread 05-11-2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marianwrn
I know you are dreading more surgery, but intesseption is something that must be surgically dealt with...it definately warrants surgery. Let me see if I can try to explain what it is....it is more than just the bowel twisting on itself....ugh this is hard to explain without a visual..lol...let's say you have 4 feet of colon...the left side slides into the right side kind of inside outwards...forget it this is too difficult to explain, I strongly suggest you doing some google searches on it...this is a very serious condition and needs to be addressed asap.
I found this explanation....

intusseption, the small intestine telescoping into the larger and the larger trying to digest the smaller
Unread 05-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Colon/Rectal Prolapse

Unfortunately, pelvic prolapses and colon /rectal prolapses do happen much more often to women who have hysterectomies. I have a large rectocele and bladder prolapse after my LSH in October 2004. I had NO issues of this nature before my hysterectomy. My bowel is also prolapsing. I have not yet had the defcography (sp?) test, but I've had all lthe CTs, MRIs, and manual exams a person could ever have.

The colon rectal surgeon I saw was very blunt with me. He asked why I had the hysterectomy and when I told him it was for fibroids he said women should never have a hysterectomy just for fibroids. He talked to me about all the options to deal with fibroids and then said I had been done a great disservice by the surgeon who performed the LSH without letting me know of the very likely possibility of prolapses. I'm dreading having more surgery.

I wish I had known before the LSH what I know now. I would NEVER have had the procedure.
westcoast
Unread 05-11-2005, 07:04 PM

When my fibroids were found, they were all (8 of them....grapefruit-sized....one under my uterus.....a huge uterus, containing 1 canteloupe--sized) so huge, that there were no other alternatives but hysterectomy..................I was packed with the monsters!

Nobody told me of the risk of prolapse, especially in my case where there were rather large voids left behind to entice falling gizzards. Health problems were guaranteed if I didn't have the surgery. And, now that I know prolapse was a high risk, it was not as high as other serious health problems had I not had the TAH.

Seems ironic that the larger the fibroids, the higher the risk for prolapse. My only regret is that I didn't have the surgery when they were smaller, when my risk for prolapse was much lower. Nobody could have known they'd get that big. I gambled and lost. So, when my younger sister found out she had multiple fibroids, I told her that......if I were in her place......I'd do the hyster before they got any bigger. She'd already tried alternatives. Hopefully, she won't suffer my fate: weak pelvic floor from fibroid pressure and wide open spaces for things to prolapse into.
Unread 05-13-2005, 03:42 PM

Hi Becky, just had to jump in here. I had exactly what you have about one year after my hysterectomy in 2002. I also had to have a foot of my colon removed and prolapses repaired again because of this problem. I was also told that it is quite common to have this happen after a hysterectomy. The second time around they repaired the prolapses abdominaly and they seem to be holding up better this time. My hysterectomy was vaginal. I would trust your colon surgeon... they are the ones who really specialize in this and the defocography is the BEST test you can have to check for these types of things. MRI and flex sigmoidoscopy will not show the 'function" of the colon, only the "inside" of it. I hope this helps, jody
Unread 05-14-2005, 04:03 PM
thanks

Thanks everyone for the replies, advice, stories. It helps to know I am not alone in all this. I will keep you all posted on how things go. I am going for a second opinion with another colon/rectal doc on the 23rd and then I will decide for sure if I am going to go with the local Dr or a different one.

Thanks again

Becky
Unread 05-14-2005, 04:16 PM

OUTWTHEOLD---thank you for using the word that my mind was not ...LOL...telescoping!

Becky,
Like the others I too have a rectocele and was not told of this risk at time of hyst...but my rish increased with each additional surgery I have had since hyst per my latest doc. and physical therapist. I am glad you are getting a second opinion and that it is not too far away as this situation needs to be addressed...please keep us updated!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register