9mos PO with sudden wt gain, intestinal problems ... a bit "personal" ;) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9mos PO with sudden wt gain, intestinal problems ... a bit "personal" ;) 9mos PO with sudden wt gain, intestinal problems ... a bit "personal" ;)

Unread 05-10-2005, 06:58 PM
9mos PO with sudden wt gain, intestinal problems ... a bit "personal" ;)

Hi ladies! I've not posted in quite some time, since I finally "normalized" on 2mg oral estradiol and 20mg Lexapro. My LSH/BSO was on 9/3/04, so I'm about 8-9 mos post-op. Soon after, I found out I was pre-diabetic with metabolic syndrome, etc., so I have been trying to deal with that for about the last 7 mos as well. Other than having to add back in a few carbs, my lo-carb diet went well till fairly recently. In the last few months alone, I've had *very* big problems with digestive issues, and nothing I seem to do seems to help.

In the last few months all of a sudden, I've had some pretty moderate constipation, I guess, making BMs *extraordinarily* painful. I started taking Benefiber, but eventually needed laxatives to have my first BM in 4-5 days. I've had to do that twice now. I've increased my activity by a little bit, but by no means am I active -- I'm working on that, since I've had back issues requiring steroid injections a few months ago. I've really increased my water intake, but it doesn't seem to "flow through", if you get my drift ... it only makes me incredibly bloated and in pain.

I've gained about 20 pounds in the last 2-3 months, 8 or so of that over the last week or so. On top of that, the poop issues are really getting worse. If it's "soft", I don't seem to have the muscle tone to push it through. It actually seems to back up at the very end, then once it backs up enough, I actually get to poop. That leaves me bloody and in a lot of pain (even walking funny lately!) until the next 3 days have passed. Then it starts all over again. It actually seems to be taking a different route, so to speak, before I can finally go, and it just feels funny. On top of that, I don't know if externally it's just swollen from the trauma, or if something might actually be in the wrong place down there (I can't tell by looking at the mirror, anyway).

So, I guess, long story short ... I had a supposedly clear colonoscopy the year before my LSH/BSO, but something seems to be really changing all of a sudden. I've got an appointment with my gastro in a few weeks, but I'd kinda like a little insight if anyone's got it before I submit to another bunch of humiliating lower GI tests again. Anyone have any info?

TIA!

Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2005, 08:41 AM

Hi Mel,

sorry to hear about digestion problems. I suffer from similiar problems.. I found a good alternative nutritionist and she helped me with diet etc. I've eliminated wheat, gluten, dairy(except goat), sugar (very Hard), and limit meat. I try to eat alot of raw foods- veggies. She also put me on some supplements; like omega oils, enzymes, flax and psyllium fiber. Oh yeah and lots of water. When I follow the guidelines I do pretty good. However when I stray I realy suffer with yeast and food allergies. Hope thing s improve for you. These sort of problems can really be frusterating and stressful.. Good luck.

Erin
Unread 05-11-2005, 09:27 AM

Have they tested your thyroid .. T3, T4 and thyroid antibodies? Could be an important test that could either explain some stuff or rule it out. If you have not had it, ask your doctor about it.

I'm sorry you are dealing with all of this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2005, 02:29 PM

Michelle,

I had a complete bloodwork done in Feb. The only thing abnormal was low estrogen. She raised my estrogen and that is when the edginess and yeast became a problem. I'm waiting on saliva test results, and going to a new doctor tomorrow.
Hopefully this can get resolved.

Thanks Erin
Unread 05-11-2005, 03:44 PM

Erin:

I can name several women who have "normal range" of thyroid but the relationship of T3 and T4 were off and not all doctors test for thyroid antibodies. Might not hurt to ask specifically, especially if a new doc is reviewing your tests.

Best wishes to you.
Unread 05-11-2005, 04:57 PM

Michell,
Is this test something a GYn would know about?
Thanks
Erin
Unread 05-11-2005, 05:41 PM

Hi! Thanks for the replies!

I had a full endocrine panel done several months ago, when I was trying to determine what my hormones/levels were up to. Apparently my thyroid levels were fine, but that's when they discovered my glucose intolerance and metabolic syndrome. I'm due for another panel in July, but that's through my cardiologist.

I guess I was just wondering if I might be having symptoms of rectal prolapse or something that might be a known problem post-hyst. I've got a lot of room in there (splenectomy, gall bladder, and appendix are all out, too), and it just seems that everything is all out of place and uncomfortable all of a sudden.

Erin, I'm sorry that you're having issues as well. I hope you get your answers soon, too!
Unread 05-12-2005, 01:48 PM

Hi ladies,
Just got back from new gyn. She did a culture and found little signs of yeast. She mentioned that menopausal women's vaginal skin thickens over time causing irritation and itching. She gave me a steroid creme for that and diflucan for the yeast. She saw lots of friendly bacteria (threelac and goat yogurt). She is also going to help me balance my hormones with the bio-ident.'s. I think I may have finally found the right doctor. She doesn't think I'm crazy and that says something to me. I'm not feeling so discouraged. Yea!

Bye,
Erin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register