Is adenocarcinoma rare??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is adenocarcinoma rare??? Is adenocarcinoma rare???

Unread 05-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Is adenocarcinoma rare???

Dear ladies,

I have read different posts that mention how rare adenocarcinoma is. I know when I first googled it back in 2004, the first thing to come up was lung cancer. Because I was dx'd with endocervical adenocarcinoma, I haven't thought too much about if it is rare or not.

What makes it rare? Because it is rare, does that make it more likely to recur?

Celebrating my one year on MArch 2005.

Thanks to all who reply!!!!!

Hugs,

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2005, 05:28 PM

'adenocarcinoma' is a general term which refers to all cancers which originate in gland tissue. For example, the lung has glandular cells when you look at it under the microscope, as does the bowel, the prostate, the stomach, and the cervix. When you put the name of the organ in front of or behind the 'adenocarcinoma' then it describes what organ you are talking about.

For some cancers, like bowel, most of the tumours are adenocarcinomas, so calling it 'bowel adenocarcinoma' is not really necessary as 'bowel cancer' is generally taken to mean adenocarcinoma.

In the cervix, there are two main types of cancer - 'squamous cell carcinoma' and 'adenocarcinoma'. They are named based on the appearance under the microscope and the difference reflects the type of cell they arose from. Cancer is really your body's own cell gone haywire, so cancers arise from cells that are already in your body. IN the cervix it arises from either 'squamous cells' or 'glandular (adeno-) cells'.

Adenocarcinoma of the cervix is not rare, but is less common than squamous. Traditionally, about 15% of all cancers in the cervix were adenocarcinomas, but the proportion of adenocarcinomas in cervix cancer is increasing so that in some places adenocarcinomas are 30% of all cancers in the cervix. This may be due to lifestyle changes in the population.

Generally, the treatment and prognosis for adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma is about the same nowadays with one of two differences (eg the need to keep or remove ovaries - talk about this with your doctor).

Adenocarcinoma of the cervix is not rare (but certainly less common), but rare cancers are not more likely to recur than any other cancer.

Happy anniversary and congratulations for being a cancer survivor!
Unread 05-11-2005, 06:25 PM

I think that Nell's explanation was pretty good. I just wanted to add that with your stage of cancer my doctor said that most reoccurances happen during the first year. So--a big congratulations on your 1 year hysterversary!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2005, 07:11 AM

Dear Nell,

Thank you so much for the information and the reassurance. And Andydenise thank you too for the reassurance. I remember my gyn/onc telling me that during the first 2 years is when reoccurence usually happens....but I guess the cancerhead got hold of me recently and after reading several posts at various places talking about how adenocarcinoma is rare....I began to wonder.

Hugs,

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register