I'm In Sooooo Much Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm In Sooooo Much Pain I'm In Sooooo Much Pain

Unread 05-13-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm In Sooooo Much Pain

I FEEL LIKE I HAVE GAS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EAT? I HAD MY SURGERY 05-09-05 AND I'M AFARID TO TAKE MY PAIN PILLS BECAUSE OF THE CONSTIPATION. I CALLED MY DR AND SHE TOLD ME TO TAKE MILK OF MAG. I DID AND HAD A BM BUT NOW I AM BLOATED. I'VE TAKEN 2 GAS-X-DRANK WATER AND WALKED. NOW WHAT? TELL ME IT'S AN ENDURANCE THING. I'M A LITTLE AFRAID. I HAVE VERY NORMAL BOWELS AND NOW I'VE HAD THIS SURGERY. IT'S BEEN TERRIBLE. THREW UP ALL THE FIRST NIGHT. COULDN'T PEE AND GOT RE-CATHED THE SECOND DAY. DISCHARGED THE THIRD DAY AND IN HELL FORTH AND FIFTH DAY. HELP!! MY POOR HUSBAND. PLEASE POST SOMETHINF IT'S FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND MY DR. IS GONE ALL I HAVE IS HER CELL # AND I DON'T WANT TO CALL IF SOMEONE KNOWS WHAT I CAN DO.

HB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm In Sooooo Much Pain

Hi hurting0767,

to Hystersisters. I'm so sorrry you're having the intestinal distress. What worked for me was to add more fruits and vegetables to my diet. I had to resort to using the MofM too. It helped me get going. I also used stool softeners faithfully for a few months. They helped a lot, but wouldn't have been enough if I hadn't adjusted my diet. It's also really important for you to be drinking a lot of water. It will help everything, including clearing out the bloat.
I hope this will help. If you are very uncomfortabe, don't hesitate to call your dr's cell. That's what's she's there for and you don't need to feel apologetic for calling when you are in pain and don't know what to do.
Let us know how you do.

's, Rita
Unread 05-13-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm In Sooooo Much Pain

Don't drink any sodas and drink a lot of water. Take your pain medicine, but just take the stool softeners and milk of magnesia if necessary. You usually need the pain meds and if you keep the bowels moving with something you will feel better. I learned what caused gas and tried to be careful. Every once in a while I'd have a coke, but usually paid for it afterward. The 2nd night in the hospital I made a big mistake and ate a bowl of cream of brocoli soup. Boy was I sorry.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2005, 05:15 PM
I'm In Sooooo Much Pain

HB,

I'm soooo sorry your experiencing so much distress from the gas. I remember those feelings very well from the first 5 or 6 days post-op. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

Drinking lots and lots of water and walking helped me. I was terribly bloated, and it seemed counter intuitive to drink lots of water, but it actually helped. Gas-Ex was also helpful, and my doc gave me stool softeners to use too to keep things moving.

I hope it helps you to hear that it really will get better very soon. It will not last forever (at the time I thought it would!) The first 5-6 days were the worst.

Like you I never had trouble with my bowels before surgery, and I was worried in the beginning when I had so much trouble, but everything got back to normal before too long.

I hope you find some relief very soon.

Barbara
Unread 05-13-2005, 05:39 PM
I'm In Sooooo Much Pain

I'm 3 months out and last night I had to use a laxative.
Gas has been a big problem with me also.
I've been taking 2 anti-gas pills twice a day.
I hope this goes away real soon.
Some days are worse than others.
Unread 05-13-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm In Sooooo Much Pain

As well as you, I had my surgery on 5/9/05. I have yet to bm, but I have found that when I am having gas pains, the best relief is walking. As soon as I moving, I start passing (laughing).

As for the constipation factor, I got doctor's clearance today for dried apricots. eatting 4 or 5 a day nomally helps alot! If nothing else, it will at least combat the pain meds which you need to be taking!
Unread 05-13-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm In Sooooo Much Pain

I understand your feelings about the pain meds. I refused them after I left the hospital too. I did take Advil when I got home though....every 4 hours (800mg) too. I also took Collace (sp?) for the first week to get/keep things moving. There is some good advice here for you from the other posters. I didn't have bad gas pains with my hyster., but I did with my 2 c-sections. Avoid the carbonated stuff as long as possible; drink lots of water; walk as much as you can; avoid any foods that give you gas at other times (for me that would include apples). It should pass (no pun intended) soon. Every day is easier than the one before. Good luck.
Unread 05-13-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm In Sooooo Much Pain

The urologist that did my bladder suspension had me eating soups for almost the whole first three weeks. My gyno told me to follow the uro's orders on my diet, so I suppose they were in agreement. It got really old, but after my tummy settled down some, the soup diet really did seem to help with bloating and gas. I did eat some yogurt and some ice cream, too. And a neighbor brought me some banana bread and I would eat a slice for a snack. He did say no bean soup, though! LOL. He told me as I was easing back into a regular diet, to stay away from really greasy foods and no hamburgers or pizzas. He said "those will kill you". I told him how tired I was of soups and he said, "but are you bloating?" And I had to say no, I really wasn't. I've also lost about 12 lbs. Anyway, hope this helps.

Hoping
TAH/BSO and bladder suspension, 39 yrs old.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register