How long did you have to wait to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long did you have to wait to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs? How long did you have to wait to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs?

Unread 05-14-2005, 07:40 PM
How long did you have to wait to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs?

Here I go again with yet another post...hope you guys don't mind answering all of my ???.

My daughter weighs 30lbs. Do I have to wait the entire 6 weeks of recovery time to pick her up or is there anyway I can do it as early as 4 weeks?

I am having a LAVH/BSO. I am not sure if the type of surgery I am having matters. I think (may be wrong) that TAH surgeries have to wait longer to pick up heavy weights than LAVH surgeries do.

Any input to this question would be most appreciated. Thanks again in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2005, 08:35 PM

Hi again!
I think you MAY be right--that TAH may have to wait longer, but I'm not sure!! You really should ask your doctor. I just went for my 5 week check up and even though my doctor cleared me for just about everything (realizing that I would know my limits and not over-do it) she told me I still need to wait 4-6 weeks before I can lift heavy things. I never did ask her the actual pounds I could lift, but when I told her my job required lifting pet foods, dogs etc.. (I work at a Veterinary Clinic) she said, definitely none of that for 4-6 more weeks. ( I admit, I do lift my cats, but they only weigh about 12 lbs )
Sorry I couldn't be more encouraging, but I really do think you should ask your doctor and follow what he/she says. I know it will be difficult to not lift your daughter though! Lifting must really use some internal muscles, I guess! Good luck and take care, zanylynn (isn't this website the best??!!!)
Unread 05-14-2005, 09:25 PM

I think everyone is different and much will depend on how smooth your recovery is. I am almost 2 weeks post-op from a TAH and can't imagine lifting anything more than a couple pounds at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2005, 09:45 PM

I don't think it matters if you had a TVH as the lifting concern is due to what was done on the inside. I had a TLH/BSO and was told not to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs. for 6 weeks.
Unread 05-15-2005, 06:37 AM

I had TVH and was told nothing heavier than a gallon of milk for 6 weeks. Then nothing more than 10 pounds for the next 6 weeks. You really want to take it easy during recovery to heal properly. Children really are very resilient and can accomodate our surgery. Before you go in, practice sitting down and letting her crawl up onto your lap instead of you picking her up. That way she'll accept it more readily once you get home.
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:27 AM

my surgeon said I could lift all cooking utensils and household items including medium sized chairs (not quite sure what defined one of those - and why on earth i should suddenly want to lift one - but anyway...) for the first couple of weeks

I lifted my mountain bike at 10 days (I rode it too!) with no problems - it weighs about 24lbs.

- i was never given restrictions - just relied on common sense - and if it hurts - stop.
Unread 05-15-2005, 07:57 PM

The only good advice here is your doctor's. Your own situation is unique and we have no idea what repairs you will need to have done, how many stitches you will have, etc.

As for me, my doc said nothing heavier than 20 pounds for 6 weeks. But that's just what they told me.

I waited 4 months to lift my 40-pound ds.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 05-15-2005, 10:50 PM

Yep,ask your doctor.They are who answers to you if something is wrong,rightor whatever.Mine told me nothing over 30 pounds.Yeah right I thought,not even going to try.You will KNOW what you can and can't do.I tried getting laundry out of machine...was towels.New machine,so spun the heck out of them,one tug and knew I wasn't emptying it....but have swept and done dishes ,cooked,walked.....I would ,sitting down,lift a small child to my lap.Just ask doc,and go with your gut,hmmm,literally.6 days post op,everything went,40 and on climara patch.Doing great and loving this forum,from 2 weeks prior til now.........good luck and enjoy the peace in the hospital.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register