What is your opinion? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is your opinion? What is your opinion?

Unread 05-15-2005, 09:46 AM
What is your opinion?

I had a TAH On Oct. 19, 2004 because of reoccuring ovarian cyst. The day after I was sent home I was admitted back to the castle b/c of a hematoma. After getting over that long recovery, I was fine. I felt like a new woman and thought I would be pain free forever!!!

Much to my surprise about a month ago I started having this reoccuring pain, just like it felt when I had a cyst on my ovaries in the past. This pain continues to stay on my right lower abdomen side, again where my ovary WAS! Two weeks ago I made an appt. with my GYN and she did an U/S. Before we started, she started telling me how she wasn't going to find anything because all her parts have been taken out. So, of course, we did the U/S and NOTHING was found. She said it could be a few adhesions but nothing more. She shrugged me off like it was nothing. I felt as if, she has received all the money out of me she can and has wiped her hands of me. Of course, as I was walking out she didn't forget to mention to me to still come back and see her once a year for a pap even though I have had a TAH, which I already knew.

The pain I am having is in and out all the time and it really intense at times. I did quit hurting for about a week but has decided to come back these last few days. My whole thing is, I had this surgery to keep this pain from happening and now it is BACK, without my ovaries! What is up? I am so confused as to what this is and don't know where to turn. I guess I am afraid to go to another doctor because 1) they will keep passing me around to another doctor 2) I don't want to go through all these tests that I know they will (MRI, CT, Etc.) and 3) I am scared they will think it is in my head and nothing more....even though I know better.

Just a note: In November of 2004 I had a gallbladder surgery, because of gallstones after having a colonoscopy done and only finding a small benign pallop. So, I have proof that my GI issues are fine.

Please help me with any advice or prognosis you can give. As said, I don't know where to turn!

Thanks,
Keri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2005, 11:51 AM
What is your opinion?

Hi Keri,

Welcome to the club. If you have followed any of my posts you know that I am in the same boat. Before them telling me it was adhesions or nothing I went through all of those tests. What a surprise, they found nothing. I did (last year go through acupuncture and myofacial massage and that didn't help either. I ended up having diagnostic laproscopic surgery in July of o4 and she basically stated she probably woudn't find anything. To her amazement she did find quite a few adhesions that basically blanketed my pelvic area. She lasered them off and I was fine until about Oct. of 04.

I had my surgeries as preventative after I tested positive for BRCA 1 and 2. I was in perfect health prior to surgery. Not anymore. The plan for surgery was to be the first female to live past the age of 56. If you call living in constant pain living then I guess I succeeded. I didn't know it was going to be like this. If I had known, I SURE WOULD NEVER HAD DONE THE SURGERY!!! It is very difiicult to do the things I enjoy (swimming) and just hanging out at the gym for the most part. I don't even enjoy my job anymore becuse of the pain. When it is bad I usually take it out on my kids at school. They don't deserve my rotten attitude at times. I am in constant pain and some days I don't even get out of bed because it is so bad. I have heard that PM works for some or even most but pain meds are always involved. I just had an appointment with PM and now hurt worse. I can't do pain meds of any sort due to severe allergic reactions.

I will be talking to my gyn dr tomorrow and if I don't get any satisfaction, my primary dr will take over and have me go through the tests again and then send me to a general surgeon who is suppose to be pretty good at adhesion removal. I know it is not a guarentee but hopefully I will get some relief. I just love having to jump through hoops. The worst part of all of this is I have a pretty high tolerance to pain and the only time i complain is when it is debilitating. All my drs know this.

I wish you all the best. I know the pain you are in and can totally relate to the run around. Hopefully one day we will be pain free. Isn't that what most people have this done for??? Good luck and keep posting. Hopefully somebody out there will have some other advice that helps. Maybe someday our drs. will have some good insight on this whole mess.
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:10 PM
What is your opinion?

WOW! Why can't things be normal for us???

I just don't know who to call in the morning or should I just bear with the pain? Should I try my Gen. Doctor or what???

I have been searching all day on the net trying to figure out what this could be b/c the only symptom I am having is the right lower abdomen pain but I have came up with NOTHING! ARGH!

Keri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2005, 08:32 PM
What is your opinion?

Hey Keri,

Depending on WHO you trust the most is who I would call first. If you get the brush off from one call the other dr. I have found persistence pays off. I know my gyn thinks I am nuts but I am going to wait for her to call me tomorrow. Hopefully she will have some insight. If not I will call my internist. I will not stop calling until something is done. Pain is something we shouldn't have to live with. They all know I am a pain and in pain and I usually get my way. I get very annoying. We will see this time around.

Do call one of your drs. Don't let them brush you off. They get paid good bucks to help us. s and I hope you get some relief soon.
Unread 05-16-2005, 09:15 AM
What is your opinion?

(((Keri))):

I agree with (NMSalHus) in that you should go to the doctor that you trust the most first and continue from there until someone helps you.

As my wonderful gyn would say "you are not crazy, you are having pain"

Hang in there!
Unread 05-16-2005, 11:40 AM
What is your opinion?

Keri,
I am sorry that your pain has returned and that your gyn wasn't very helpful. I would seek a second opinion. If you have a family doctor you could start there.

As for the GI issues, it may be worth exploring as things can change over time. Just because everything was all clear six months ago doesn't mean that it is the same now.

Unread 05-16-2005, 08:46 PM
What is your opinion?

I have been thinking this over and think I have decided to call my Family Doctor. The reason I am hesitating is because the pain wasn't there today for most of the day but it is faintly there this evening. I just can't imagine what in the world it could be, since there is nothing down there to hurt! But again, it amazes me because it feels like I have another cyst on an ovary, that isn't even there!

Another thing I have noticed here the past few days is that I am more depressed and mopey!! Before I have been perfectly fine, never had a bad day really but even DH has asked me what is wrong several times and I don't have an answer for him! I mean this should be one of the happiest times in my life, considering we are getting a new house in 4 weeks but I can't get going and I am so depressed!!!! I HATE ALL OF THIS! I was so sure that my pain and suffering was going to over after Oct. 19th!!

Geez,
Keri

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?
Unread 05-17-2005, 05:16 AM
What is your opinion?

Hi Kerri!

Here's some for you sweetie. I can so relate to what you are feeling as I have been there a few times.

Your last post made a comment that hit me as I had the same exact thought just before my last surgery. ( see bottom signiture..lol)

Quote:
It feels like I have a cyst on an ovary that isn't even there!

This is not as crazy as it sounds. If you do a search on Ovarian Remmnant you will see this is very possible!!!! I have had it. I fought for over 6 months with my docs about there being pain and was constantly told " you can't be in pain there is nothing left".

Thanks to my PRIMARY doc listening and careing she had them do an INTERNAL ultra sound. The results cleary showed an ovary with numerous cysts on it!! When I had it very little was known about this condition but I have noticed lately a lot of women are coming out of surgery with this condition. It is caused by a microscopic piece of the ovary being left behind and it can and will regenerate sometimes. There are a few posts here on the subject and if you search for mine you will also find some links about this condition.

Please talk to your docs about doing an internal ultra...if nothing else it could at least rule out that this may be happening to you.

You just may not be crazy after all!! LOL I know I thought I was at first to. Don't give up...

Dawn
Unread 05-17-2005, 05:56 PM
What is your opinion?

WOW! Ok maybe...JUST MAYBE we aren't crazy! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! When I went back to my GYN a month ago when this started, when they did the vag. ultrasound they couldn't find anything. Could it still be possible that a remnant is still there, even though they found nothing? I have been thinking about this all day and have come to a conclusion. But don't know if I can do it or not, depending on how the doctors are.

My plan IS to call my GYN and the GI Doc (had a colonoscopy in Nov.) and get ALL my records, if they will let me. Surely they will! Anyway, once I get all those I am going to make an appt. with my regular doc. I am going to explain to her the my belly is still numb, I am constantly hurting/aching, a little depression and any other symptom I can think of. My normal doc is a great gal and I can only hope and pray that she will care enough to help me!

I wonder IF and how they will be when I call and ask for my records? Something has to be done.

I am off to research ORS now, thanks so much again!!

P.S. How did your ORS get?

HUGS!
Keri
Unread 05-18-2005, 04:43 AM
What is your opinion?

Hi Keri,

I need to say I hope I haven't given you false hope I did however just want to let you know a "what if".

You say you had a vag ultra sound? and they found nothing? How long ago? and yes it's possible that even tho they found nothing the first time it may have had time to grow.

There are many things that could be going on sweetie....adhesions could also be a biggie and these won't show up on any kind of test or ultra sound. In regard to your depression and moods...are you takeing HRT? Hormones could be a big factor there also.

Your also only 6 months post and a lot of us can take up to a full year to heal!! Tiredness, depression, internal healing ( maybe they did a lot of work on that side?) all can happen for many months after surgery.

Please take all of this into consideration....I did just want to give an option to talk to your doc about. Also it would be cheaper to call your docs office and have them request your records from your GYN etc. A lot of docs are charging due to the time it takes to copy all the paper in your folder.

Please keep us posted on what your able to find out!!

Dawn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register