Bowel Issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Bowel Issues

I just passed my 1 year mark last month and what a year it has been. I still have a golf ball sized hematoma that was found 3 weeks after I had my surgery. It has not been bothering me much anymore. Kinda painfully at times when I do to much. What bothers me the most is the fact that it is still there.
What has given me the most trouble since my surgery has been my bowels. I finally broke down and made a appt. with my DR. I am going on June 6. I was hoping for some advice or help so I can better prepare myself for my appt.
Some of this may be . I just want to know whats going on and what can be done to reslove it.
I have been dealing with severe constapation for the past 4 months. I have tired everything from drinking more water, eating more fiber and vegatables. I have been taking stool sofeners since the day I left the hospital. I have given myself enamas and suppositors. Nothing is working. I don't remember the last time I went and didn't have to strain and felt no pain. I get the feeling like I have to go but when I try nothing comes out unless I use my fingers to splint and help to push it out. I get alot of pain in my abdomen and lower back and even in my hips at times and have gurgling and gas quite often. I do feel at times bulging in my vagina while I am pushing. But not all the time. I work in a nursing home as a CNA and do lots of heavy lifting and bending. I went back to work on full duty with no limations at 10 weeks after my surgery. I just hope I didn't cause this by doing too much too soon. My hysterectomy was my 3rd surgery in 4 years. The other 2 were for many fibroids in my uterus and outside of my uterus. I was cut open and had all 3 done abdominally.I also had severe adhesions after both of my other surgeries. My DR said it looked like a bomb went off in my body. Could adhesions be causing all this ??? So as you can see I am just lost as to what can now be going on. Thanks for listening and for any help you may be able to give me. I just don't want to be dealing with this or feeling like this anymore.

's
Nicole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Bowel Issues

Oh ((((Nicole)))) I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time I used to work in a Nursing Home and know just how and physical of a job that is.

What you're describing sounds very similar to the symptoms I had before my hyst. Mine were caused by a rectocele: rectum prolapsing into the vagina. While, in my case, the bulge in the vagina was main concern, I did also have constipation, back pain and hip pain that I, falsely, attributed to the huge fibroid I was carrying around.

After a Total Hysterectomy, we're all at heightened risk for prolapses. This risk is further heightened if there was prior prolapse situation and/or by heavy straining and lifting.

When you see your doctor, if he/she can't diagnose a prolapse, be sure to insist on being examined while bearing down. Others had such conditions diagnosed by standing up and squatting during the examination.

Sending tons of s your way. Please be sure to keep us posted.
Unread 05-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Bowel Issues

Hi Nicole
I am sorry you are dealing with bm issues. I had my TAH May 2004. I dealt with constipation right after surgery and tried everything as you had to get it to clear up. Nothing helped. I had a bowel impaction at 4 weeks, then more ongoing problems. I also had adhesions when my dr. opened me up.
I felt the same things you are experiencing, I had to splint to have a bm too. I went back to my dr. in Oct. he said I had a small rectocele. I went to a colon rectal dr. she ordered a defecogram. It showed I had a large non emptying rectocele and enterocele. My gyn repaired it In Jan. I have also been experiencing trhe gurgling and kind of a thumping sensation in my abdoman. My gyn thought it was adhesions holding onto my colon, so he sent me to a adhesion surgeon in Sept. He did a lapro and found tons of scar tissue on my walls, but nothing was being held down.I am 1 year post op now and am still experiencing that gurgling, thumping sensation. I was diagnosed as IBS after a gastro saw nothing wrong after doing a colonoscopy. What a cop out. I still feel I have adhesions holding on to parts of my intestines. Afterall that surgeon completely missed my enterocele, which is a hernia of the small intestines. I think he missed seeing things being stuck down from underneath.
Please have your gyn check you while bearing down. Mine didn't and the prolapses barely showed up. I now have a small cystocele, which I will d*****ately keep a eye on.
Good luck. I am glad to know I am not the only one who gurgles and have been given no answers. I am sorry however that you have to be going through this.
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2005, 06:49 PM
rectocyle and colonoscopy

Peggy,

Can you tell me more about your rectocyle repair. How long did it take you to be back into the swing of things?

thanks. I have a rectocyle and won't be seeing the doc for another month.

Christy
Unread 05-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Bowel Issues

Boy, can I ever relate to this thread!

Last month (7 months post-op) it was discovered that I have a very large hematoma between my abdominal wall and muscle layer. It's something like 19 cm. long and 9 cm. deep, and I never did find out how "tall" it is.

There is also a second hematoma (or at least they suspect it is a hematoma) lurking further back in my abdominal cavity. And neither one has resolved one little bit. No change, nothing. They just took the 3rd CT scan two days ago.

I wish I had an answer for your bowel problems, except I can really relate. It almost feels to me like I'm developing IBS (which I never had before). I differ a little from you in that I get the whole gamut -- constipated, diarrhea, and everything in between.

What I do know is that taking laxatives, enemas, etc. for long periods of time can really cause your system to rebel. I hope your doc can help you work to get your system back to normal. In fact, I believe your body can actually get dependent on laxatives.

It is possible that adhesions or scar tissue is also contributing to your troubles. I sure hope you get some relief soon!
Unread 05-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Bowel Issues

Hi Christy
I had a great recovery. I didn't have any pain what so ever. I now believe it is because I have nerve damage in my vagina. I felt great when I came home after a one day stay. I never took a pain pill. My first day home I was sitting on the floor grooming my dog.I had a very hard time not lifting and doing the things my dr. said I wasn't allowed to do. I will say, I was very good and didn't hardly do a thing the entire 8 weeks off. I was determined to be a model patient this time around. I did everything I shouldn't had after my hyst. I had my post op appt. at 4 weeks. My gyn said I was healing great and everything looked really good. He had me off for 8 weeks, because I have a very physical job working in a mental institution. He wanted to make sure I healed up good before returning to work.
I hope you recovery goes as smoothly as mine did. It will be very important to not get constipated and strain, especially the first few weeks post op.At four weeks I once again started with the constipation issues and it is still going on. I am now almost four months post op.

Good luck and don't do much of anything until your dr. says you can
Peggy
Unread 06-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Just got back from DR...

First I want to thank you all for your replies .
My DR and I are both in agreement that I am loaded with adhesions again and that is where most of my pain is coming from. Given my history of what I looked like after my last 2 surgeries. My DR told me today that it took him an 1 1/2 just to clean up all my adhesions from my prior surgery before he could even start my hysterectomy. Everything was stuck together like someone had poured super glue in me. He wants me to go see a gastro DR and get a GI work up done to see what he feels is causing me all my bowel issues I am having. I also am going in to have a MRI done. I have had 3 CT scans done since my hematoma was found shortly after my surgery. My last scan which was done in Jan. came back that it may be my right ovary and not a hematoma. So he wants me to get a MRI so he can get a better look at that. I go Thur. to see the gastro DR and next Mon. for the MRI. Than I go back to my DR the following week. He also told me that I need to prepare myself for another surgery. He wants to go in and remove my adhesions and depending on what the MRI shows I may be losing my right ovary also. I am so scared. I just can't stop crying right now. I don't want to lose my one and only ovary I have left. It is the one thing that is keeping me from going into menopause at 31 years old. I just wish I could go one year and not have to worry about being sent back in for more surgery. This will be my 4th surgery in 4 years. I just want the pain to be gone. I have spent the last 4 years in pain. I am trying so hard to not let all this get me down. I am just so sick and tired of all this. Thanks for listening and for the hug's and caring. I will keep you all updated as I find more out.

Nicole
Unread 06-10-2005, 01:19 AM
Will this all ever be over....

Saw the Gastro Dr. today and I am set up for a colonoscopy on Wed. I really fought him on this and he told me he spoke to my Dr. and they both felt it would be a good idea to make sure nothing else was going on. I told him I felt it was not needed. Both him and my DR feel it is adhesions. But they both want to cover all the bases just to make sure before they go in for more surgery. So after much anger on my part I agreed to have it done. I am just so tired of all this. I am trying to stay strong and just think happy thoughts. I just want to feel normal again. I don't even remember how normal feels anymore. I have been fighting to feel good for the last 4 years. I am just getting so tired. I just don't know how much more of this I or my body can take. Next week is going to be a busy week for me. I have my MRI on Mon. and than on Wed. I go for this fun procedure. Than I go back on Fri. to the Gastro Dr. to go over the results. I had to laugh today though he tried to give me some free samples of Zelnorm and started to tell me the side effects and risks of taking it. On the list of risks it states that people with abdominal adhesions especially those that have pain with adhesions should not take zelnorm. He paused for a moment and than said I guess that wouldn't be a very good medication for you to try. The only thing I have been feeling happy about is that I have been able to get seen right away and not having to wait weeks before I can get in to the Dr. and get the tests I need done. I do feel blessed for that. I will let you all know what I find out as soon as I do. I just want it all to be over.

Nicole
Unread 06-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Bowel Issues

((((Nicole))))) I'm sorry this has all been so hard on you It does sound as though you have terrific doctor and that's always good news

I do hope that your tests go ok and that your doctor has some good news, with a good plan of action for you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register