Dictontinue HRT before surgery - and how long after before you can get back on??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dictontinue HRT before surgery - and how long after before you can get back on??? Dictontinue HRT before surgery - and how long after before you can get back on???

Unread 05-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Dictontinue HRT before surgery - and how long after before you can get back on???

Hi ladies...

I'm (tentatively) scheduled for removal of a cantelope size mucinous ovarian cyst - and the affected ovary - next month. Dr's don't believe it is malignant (appearance, tumor markers indicate not). I'm choosing to keep everything else - I think. First Doc wanted to do a TAH and I said NO.

I'm 48 and have been post-menopausal for four years. Went through seven years of pure he** with meno symptoms until I did salivary testing on my own and found I was estrogen dominant in spite of menopause...now we know why...it's likely the cyst producing the estrogen.

I've been on 200 mg Prometrium for eight months to combat the estrogen and it has literally given me my life back. Have energy, bones quit hurting, came out of that mental fog, losing weight...I feel FANTASTIC except for this huge thing in my belly. The idea of going back to 'square one' with this surgery and what will happen when my estrogen producing monster is gone...is worse than anticipating the surgery! I will NOT live like that again!

My 'first opinion' Dr. said he would wait 30 days post-op to test hormones again and decide on HRT (bio-identical). My 'second opinion' Dr. said he would wait 60 days to retest. One wants me to discontinue my Prometrium before surgery, the other does not. (I've heard you don't 'discontinue' any HRT cold turkey - you wean off it gradually).

Any thoughts for me??? I have an appt. on Wednesday with Dr. who will do surgery and I want to negotiate the post-op hormone thing then. There is a possibility I will have one Dr. do the surgery and go to the other for HRT post-op - this is okay with both of them. I am *so* serious about not going into that pre-HRT Black Hole again...I don't know how I would cope combining that with post-op recovery...I really think it will make me nuts.

I'm trying to have a positive attitude for surgery, but I know my little yellow pill has been a major part of that for eight months and I really don't want to give it up. I'm even thinking of continuing to take it post-op even if they tell me not to, I'm that dead-set on this.

What is your experience in how long post-op it takes for hormones to level out...and did any of you have a hormone imbalance caused by a cyst???

I've read so many post-op horror stories on this site about weight gain and depression and sexual dysfunction...I tend to think those stories are all because of post-op hormone imbalance and not related to the surgical procudure itself and thus I have hope...if any of you know differently, please let me know!

Tell me your stories...please...

Thanks,
Jordan L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2005, 05:57 AM
Dictontinue HRT before surgery - and how long after before you can get back on???

Hi Jordan

I'm so happy to hear that you have decided not to have a hysterectomy

You may find it helpful to visit www.dearest.com

The women there are in Natural Menopause and their hormone needs are greatly different than women in surgical menopause.

The decision about discontinuing prometrium before your surgery is something that you and your doctor will need to decide.

If you are having one ovary removed but keeping the other ovary you may find you do not to need any estrogen therapy. However if both ovaries are being removed and you do need to use estrogen therapy, then you will also need to use progesterone to help protect your uterus. It may be very helpful to choose one doctor that you trust for your hormone needs.

You may also find it helpful to visit the Ovaries only section of Hystersisters.

Best Wishes

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register