Finally, A Diagnosis!! Pelvic Wall Myofascial Tension | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Finally, A Diagnosis!!  Pelvic Wall Myofascial Tension Finally, A Diagnosis!! Pelvic Wall Myofascial Tension

Unread 05-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Finally, A Diagnosis!! Pelvic Wall Myofascial Tension

Hello Ladies!

I just wanted to share some fantastic news with you. Today for the first time in almost 4 years I actually received a diagnosis for my pain. She first called it a pelvic floor spasm, and later said it was officially pelvic wall (I think wall and not floor) myofascial tension. I am so grateful that finally someone knew what my pain was and how to treat it. A physical therapist did my exam and was able to go straight to my pain. I can do physical therapy and hopefully be done with the pain once and for all. I'm sure it will take awhile after having been in pain for so long, but I'm so grateful to have some hope again! I had lost all hope and thought a spinal cord stimulator was my last option. I only met this new doctor because my pain mgmt doc referred me to her. I feel my prayers have been answered. I never expected to get a diagnosis and course of treatment, I just thought I was a lost cause. Thank God, he does answer prayers! I hope this info is useful to someone. I'll keep you updated on my progress! If anyone has been thru this before and can tell me how it went, I'd be anxious to hear! I'll keep looking online to see what I can find. WebMD didn't have anything for myofascial pain specific to pelvic pain, but they did have something for just myofascial pain. I wonder how many of my sisters suffer from this and just don't know it yet. I hope this post finds its way to those who are suffering. I know I've suffered for too long and I just hope this is the final answer to resolving my pain. I hope my sisters can share in my joy! I've never been so happy after seeing a doctor! Guess my trip to the Mayo Clinic was either premature, or they didn't really know of this back then. If anyone wants to know more about my specific pain to determine if this might be their problem, let me know and I'd be happy to elaborate. Of course, I'm not a doctor and I can't diagnose.

Well, I think I've made my point, after going back and forth with my message being too long and then realizing I was reading the message length thing wrong...oh well. For some reason I kept seeing "too long" when it only said "long"...its late, I need to go to bed! You are in my prayers, my sisters, and I hope each of us finds the resolution to our pain. Keep fighting the good fight!

s and love,
Stacy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2005, 11:50 PM

Congratulations!

That is just *so* wonderful! You must be really excited.

I have chronic pain, but it's not in the pelvic region. It gives me hope to hear that someone has finally found an explanation and treatment for something that can be such a life wrecker.

Let us know how you progress.

Margot
Unread 05-17-2005, 08:18 AM

congratulations! you must be so relieved! i have chronic pelvic pain, but one dr i calle din my city said they had not been successful in treating pelvic pain, mostly back and nerve pain. i'm seeing one of my dr's again today to tell her how i feel. when i said adhesions...she immediately understood. my ob/gyn can't really do anything other than give me a limited supply (30) per month of pain meds. Its not enough! I'll go a day or two and then for a week, its 12 hrs of pain and i have to drive an hour to work and the usual 40 hr work week... not much quality of life here. Well, not to hijack or take away from your jGREAT news! I'm rejoicing with you1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2005, 09:29 AM

This is fabulous news indeed! We do rejoice with you! Thanks for sharing.

Unread 05-17-2005, 05:10 PM

Stacy,
That is wonderful news! With a diagnosis you can begin treating the pain. I am happy for you. Do keep us posted on how you're doing with the treatment plan.
Unread 05-17-2005, 10:36 PM

Praise the Lord! I am so happy for you. How many times in our lives we are learning patience by the trials and tribulations given to us.

I always feel anything worth while is worth waiting for.

Wonderful news for you! A hug to you!
Unread 05-17-2005, 11:21 PM

Hi Stacy! I'm so glad that a dr finally gave you validation and a treatment for your pain. I too have Pelvic Wall Myofascial Tension...due to a trapped nerve in the vaginal cuff. I have been seeing a pelvic physical therapist for about a month now and I do have to say that it does help. After your evaluation, with gloved hands she will insert her fingers into your vagina and start pressing on the pelvic muscles....they get knots, just like your shoulder muscles do...and she will try to release the tension in the muscles. She will also work on your abdominal muscles from the outside. She will also show you exercises and stretches that you can do at home to help strengthen and relax the muscles. At the end of the treatment my PT uses electro-stimulation....a machine that contracts and relaxes the muscles deep....feels really good and a big heating pad on my belly (love that part!). It has helped me so much...especially when I am really hurting I don't realize how tense my pelvic muscles are....I do a few exercises at work and really concentrate on my breathing and releasing the muscles. I go once a week. It sounds weird, but my PT makes me feel very comfortable and she knows what she's doing.

Hope this helps you and the treatments take care of all of your problems.
Unread 05-18-2005, 08:28 AM

That is great to know about the phys. therapy. i saw my dr and she's trying me on Mobic...an anti-inflammatory for pain relief, but i usually do not tolerate anti-inflm meds...they make my tummy hurt. we'll see! again, congrats on finding a solution to your problem! Thank Goodness...I enjoyed our "chat" off-line! Thanks for the encouraging words.
Unread 05-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks Ruby Star

I appreciate you being so open in explaining what happens in your physical therapy session. Are the machines she uses called an acuscope and myopulse do you know? I've had experience with those machines too and they did give me some relief, it just didn't last long enough. Its nice to meet another person with the same diagnosis who can share with me their experences. If you want, we can email and you can reach me at <oops, no email addresses in posts please> I sort of figured the PT would be internal so to speak. I know it sounds weird, but I really don't care, cuz I just want the pain to go away! She found my knots when she examined me, and I immediately compared it to my back getting knots. That's so weird that it happens in our pelvic muscles too. I'm usually so tense naturally, and am a worry wart, that it doesn't surprise me that this is my problem. It also explains why my pain seems to increase when I get stressed out. I had to quit my job because of too much stress. It was crazy!

Well, I need to scoot off to see my pain doctor. I can't wait to see him and find out if he can recommend some other treatement medicinally since we now know what we're dealing with. Seems like nothing has much touched the pain anymore. I've got a tolerance to everything, or they just don't get to the pain I guess.

Please write back if you want. It would be nice to compare notes when I finally start my therapy. I felt so glad that I finally got a diagnosis, and I wondered how many other women out there had the same thing and didn't even know it. I felt obligated to share the news just in case it can help just one other person, you know?

So, lets be pelvic floor myofascial pain buds? OK?!

Take care, and thanks for taking the time!
s to everyone, I appreciate all the responses to this thread. Its nice to know I'm not alone.

You all take it easy on yourselves, ok?
Stacy
Unread 05-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Oh man...

I just got back from seeing my PM doctor, and he wasn't nearly as excited as I am. He still seemed skeptical that this was the correct diagnosis. He told me I'd have to do PT for the rest of my life on my own, like I'd always have to fight to keep this at bay I guess. He encouraged me to do the kegal exercises I think is what its called. I don't even know what it is yet other than tensing and relaxing those muscles. I guess that's right. Overall he said he was hopeful, but he didn't seem to be nearly as excited as I am. I can't let him get me down. He gave me a hug and he's glad I got my hope back. He always tells me not to lose hope. I guess I just thought I'd get a better reaction from him. Oh well. I told him next month I'd come in and tell him how great I feel. Its like I'm determined to make this work. I sure hope I can keep my motivation after I start PT!

Well, get to go play the pill game...filling up my two week pill holder. Oh joy! I feel like I'm in my 70s with all these pills! Although they have gone down lately, which is good. I thought I was doing good off of the Lortab, which is like Vicodin, and I told doc I didn't notice a difference. He says its because of the fentanyl covering it up. I'm just hoping I'll eventually get out of this without being addicted to something. Ain't this fun?!

s to my friends!! Hope to hear from you soon!
Stacy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register