Keeping cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keeping cervix Keeping cervix

Unread 05-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Keeping cervix

Hello Ladies

I Just have a question to you ladies who have kept your cervix.
I have been reading alot on hear and am seeing that some of you have talked about mini periods , my question is ... Does everyone get the mini periods if they keep their cervix or is it just if your one of the lucky ones ? :.( My dr. said she wanted to leave mine if she could because of my age and something about eveything falling as you age ? She was not very clear and I didn't really think about it much till now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Keeping cervix

Hi, Blue...

My doc says that if you keep your cervix and at least one ovary, your chances of having mini periods is about 10-15%. So, no, not everyone gets them!

Whether to keep the cervix or not is a very hot topic. There are lots of studies about how keeping it can provide better support for the pelvic floor and make you less likely to experience sexual problems after the hyst. But, there are *many* docs who don't agree with either of those theories.

You'll find a huge range of experiences here. I was one of that 10-15% that got the mini period, and it was so heavy that I had to have my cervix removed 6 months later. But my case was pretty unusual.

Questions: Any history of bad Paps? Would it bother you a lot if you were to still bleed a little every month?

Margot
Unread 05-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Keeping cervix

I kept my cervix and am not post-op long enough to know if I'll have a mini period. When I asked my DR about it at my 1 week follow-up visit, he said I wouldn't have one. I believe if the DR scrapes the cervix of all the endometrium, then you won't have a mini period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Keeping cervix

My doc is not one that believes keeping a cervix is necessary. He's been doing hysterectomies for over 20 years and has done a lot of research so I trust him. I didn't want mine anyway, I don't want even the slightest chance of a period of any kind. I also don't want to end up having it removed later on. I don't need it to enjoy sex either. I can have an orgasm without it. I know this for a fact
Unread 05-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Keeping cervix

gsgal...

There really isn't anyway to know if all the endometrial cells have been removed. The tissue of the cervix does not look any different than the tissue of the uterus to the naked eye. To know for sure during surgery if the separation was made in the right place, the cells would need to be viewed under a microscope.

The surgeon makes his/her best guess and then sometimes core the cervix and cauterize it. This is how my surgery was done, and I still got the mini period.

When I told my doc that I thought I was having a mini period, he said "This is the first time that this has ever happened to me." He didn't warn me about the possibility of mini periods before surgery, because it had never happened to one of his patients. I learned about mini periods here!

Now, if your ovaries are gone, that's a different story.

Beware of arrogant docs! gsgal, I'm not implying that yours is, but there *are* a lot of them out there! I had one and ended up having to have another surgery because I trusted his judgment.

Margot
Unread 05-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Keeping cervix

Hi Blue,

I decided to keep my cervix since I was a candidate with my LSH.

I had my cervix cauterized during my surgery so I might suggest you ask your Dr. if she does cauterization. I am one year post op now and I have not had a mini-period.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 05-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Keeping cervix

Blue72,

I didn't realize I was having mini-periods until I read a few posts from women who have. Not realizing should tell you it's hardly noticeable. I can still tell when my ovaries think I'm menstruating, and have been having those feelings about every 28 days. I bloat, get gas, have breast tenderness and get hungrier. Then, for one, maybe two days -- a few times each day, I notice a slight brownish tint on the toilet paper when I wipe myself. It doesn't even make it to my underwear. This is what I call a true MINI period. No big deal.

You have a better than great chance of not having a mini period at all.

Best wishes to you.

Linda
Unread 05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Keeping cervix

swank & smargie,
My DR normally does not keep the cervix either and would have preferred that I didn't. I decided that I wanted to keep it - why cut out a part of my body that has not caused me any issues and which may help to support my pelvic floor post-op - and knew in advance that a mini period may be a possibility. My DR respected my wishes to keep my cervix. I have seen enough posts here where women are told by their DRs that this is the way I always do it so this is the way you will have it done. I am pleased that my DR and I discussed it and he was willing to oblige my wishes.
Unread 05-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Keeping cervix

My doctor would have kept mine if I wanted. We discussed everything and it was all left up to me. But I didn't want it, I just wanted to keep my ovaries. I had a fibroid on my cervix anyway so couldn't have kept it if I wanted to. I'm done with bleeding of any kind forever.
Unread 05-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Keeping cervix

To Swank,

I have to disagree with you about removing the cervix because of a fibroid.

In my case, I had my largest fibroid right on top of my cervix and I was able to retain my cervix in post-op. In my opinion, I think keeping the cervix or not keeping the cervix depends on the medical history of the Hyster Sister, what type of hyst is being performed and what medical training and background the Dr. has.

Best wishes,

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register