Lidoderm Patches -- Anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lidoderm Patches -- Anyone? Lidoderm Patches -- Anyone?

Unread 05-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Lidoderm Patches -- Anyone?

Just got back from my appointment with my PM doc. I will be having SI injections again on the 27th since they helped before, but seem to be wearing off now. She also gave me samples/Rx for Lidoderm Patches which she said I can use on my SI joints OR areas affected by adhesions. Have any of you tried these? Any luck with them?

I really like this doctor and just wanted to remind others in the chronic pain boat that there are good PM docs out there. Keep searching until you find one that meets your needs!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2005, 03:12 PM

I have never used them myself, my mom used them when she had the shingles...they are like novacain patches and really help with nerve pain...I don't know if they would help with adhesion pain though.
Unread 05-21-2005, 11:24 AM

Yes, she said they are a numbing patch and mentioned shingles as being one thing they are used for.....arthritis being another. She said that if my adhesions are close to the skin (which several were found there in my op in Oct.) the patch may help numb the area temporarily. Since all my pain relief seems to be temporary.....I'll give it a go. She said to use them for times when I knew I was going to "overdo" it....do something I knew would cause breakthrough pain. Like driving to IL to see my mom....grocery shopping....um...intercourse....LOL! Haven't tried them yet though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2005, 12:24 PM

Hi, BillsSweetie68...

I am new to the world of chronic pain. Actually I'm not really new--it's more that I'm accepting it for what it is finally.

I had an LSH 9/04 and then had a second surgery to remove my cervix 11 weeks ago. These surgeries seemed to have increased my pain hugely! My pain is not surgery-related, in that I didn't get nerve damage or adhesions from surgery in the pelvic area. But since that first surgery the pain in my knees, back, neck and shoulders has become constant and intense.

I went to a PM doc locally. He basically told me I was a vicodin addict and seemed to get mad when what he prescribed didn't work. I tried both morhpine and the phentanyl patch...neither helped my pain and both made me very sick. Hydrocodone it the only things so far that agrees with me and helps my pain.

My question is: What should you look for in a PM doc? What makes you decide whether one is good or bad? Are there really docs out there who give you the meds you need to treat your pain sufficiently so that you can function in your normal life? Even if they can't find the source of your pain? Are there docs who don't shame you? Well, I'm sure there are....I'm just wondering if you have any advice for finding a good doc.

Thanks!

Margot
Unread 05-23-2005, 11:20 AM

to s margie...looking too for one. hydrocodone (lortabs) are the only thing that helps mine, and getting off my feet. adhesions are my diagnosis. however, i have taken darvocet for years for tension and headaches. maxalt xlt is a migraine pill that is $20 a pop, so darvocet is cheaper for me. the maxalt makes my chest feel really tight, but not serious enough. sometimes it works on the headaches, but i can't afford it. i found out saturday that my gp will no longer fill my darvocet...ugh so, i'm getting the name of my mom's pain mgmt dr. she is happy with him. i have no problem signing contract(s) that agree to no other meds or treatment other than what they prescribe, I'm very tired of hurting. I too have experienced more body aches and pains since my surgery (total hyst) in aug.04. i'm also not happy with my hormones (estrotest), still having hot flashes and sort of mood swing that my gp put me on effexor last week. i had been taking lexapro. don't need any mORE weight gain...20 lbs since last fall. so sad about that but more concerned about living in pain 70% of the time. 25 of 30 days i have abdominal pain and i'm 47. no sex life to speak of...no one wants to address this issue (my doctors!) what is wrong...? why can't they "hear" us? I have two general practitioners, since i work in another state and an ob/gyn and i sought second opinions from another ob/gyn recommended by a friend who had severe adhesions/endo and also a urologist. they just shrug. that's not good enough for me. if you can't fix it, at least give me pain meds so i can "live" enjoy my new grandchild and my job which i love! what kind of quality of life is this now? anyhow, i was desperate enough to check out the internet on ordering meds (pain) on line and you can get them, they just won't ship into us. any ideas? i know we cannot suggest anything illegal on this site, but is anyone else out there as frustrated as i am? i should be thankful my ob/gyn rations out 30 lortab a month, i guess as long as i live? who knows. sorry for complaining, i just have a migraine today and it would be the day when my adhesions aren't bothering me... lol
Unread 05-24-2005, 11:09 AM

(((Margot))) and (((TWhite)))

I am so sorry that you are suffering and having problems getting a doctor to believe you and treat you sufficiently. Believe me, I had the same problem for a LONG time. This PM doc has been soooo good to me that I wish I could clone her and share her with my sisters that are in chronic pain too. My advice is to keep looking until you find one that believes in you and is willing to work with you (whatever it takes) to get your pain under control!!!! No doctor should ever leave you to suffer!!!! FYI: I am under a narcotic contract with this doc. I do take narcotics as well as NSAID's on a daily basis and have for 6+ months. I am NOT an addict! I am a 36 yr. old single mom to 4 (and soon to be grandma to 1) who is in chronic pain (real pain) and wants to have a life. I am sending many many and s to you!!!
Unread 05-24-2005, 04:50 PM

Margot,

I agree with (((billssweetie))) you need to keep looking until you find someone that believes in you and will work with you. I currently have a contract with a PM doc and I have been on Morhpine pills and high dose percocets since October---and i am NOT an addict...I have chronic debilitating pelvic pain so bad that even with these meds, I can no longer work or have sex with DH or go grocery shopping without coming home in tears. You have to be your own advocate and fight for your rights. If this doc decides she can no longer help me, I will start looking immediately for another one. Don't give up, you will find someone, you just might have to go to them all before you do, but you cant stop until it happens.
Unread 05-25-2005, 08:27 AM

Hey, (((Sweetie)))!

Did you try the patch yet and how did it work?

Unread 05-25-2005, 12:09 PM

Thank you for your responses. My mother just informed me last thursday that she sees a pain management dr., so at least i have name. i'll try calling and seeing him. i dont' mind taking narc...anything to relieve pain. at my age, i'm not too worried about med addictions. i've been taking darvocets for yrs and my gp just checked me out thoroughly and no liver deterioration. I would always be honest with my dr. about my meds. my pain is for real and hopefully i'll get some relief...thanks
Unread 05-26-2005, 03:21 PM

(((TWhite))) Good luck! I hope you do get some pain relief! You deserve it!! No-one deserves to live in pain!!

(((Michelle))) Yes, I have used the patch on my tummy (adhesion type pain) and it seemed to help out some. Whatever works I will try. I get my 3rd round of SI injections tomorrow morning and KNOW I will be using those patches on the injection sites this weekend.

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A HAPPY HOLIDAY WEEKEND! ENJOY!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register