ongoing constipation after posterior repairs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ongoing constipation after posterior repairs ongoing constipation after posterior repairs

Unread 05-19-2005, 01:21 PM
ongoing constipation after posterior repairs

Hello sisters
First of all I want to say I have missed all of you. I have been so stressed from work lately I come home and nap every evening again. I don't get on here as much as I used to.
I am almost four months post op from the rectocele/ enterocele surgery now. As most of you know I am still dealing with bm issues. I had the tests done at the colon dr's and they came out ok, except they couldn't locate one nerve they were looking for. I was supposed to go back in 6 weeks, but I haven't made a appt. yet.
I am still having such a hard time going. I went Monday morning and haven't been able to go since.(Thursday -3pm)I am taking my Miralax and stool softeners as directed. I am eating fiber every morning and eating plenty of green veggies and drinking fluids. I am even walking 3-5 miles a night for exercise. I can't figure out what is wrong.Right now my abdoman feels bloated, but I don't feel I need to go.My pants get tight around my waste by evening. I tried to move my bowels while sitting on the commode last night, but am not supposed to strain. I decided to check inside my vagina like I used to before my surgery. I pushed down and can feel the stool in there on the bottom, but couldn't pass any. I don't feel a big bulge like I had with my rectocele, but d*****ately feel the stole. When I do finally go it is not hard.
Any ideas on what may be going on would be appreciated. Should I be able to feel bm from inside my vagina still? I am worried something is not right.
I am picking up additional health insurance which goes into effect July 1st. I am thinking about seeing the urogyn my gyn referred me to. He specializes in pelvic floor problems. I would also like to ask him his opinion on if I need to have the tvt done.

Sorry for being so long. I do feel better in some ways, but am also still disgusted over these bm issues. I didn't have these problems before my hyst a year ago.
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2005, 02:16 PM

Peggy:

I am sorry you are having this issue.

I am thinking the space between the vagina and the rectum is very slim and the tissue is quite thin as well, so that you could feel something in your rectum. Good question for your GI doc when you go back.

I remember when my son was an infant, I was worried he was constipated when he had not had a BM in several days and his doc said if it was soft, he was not constipated and that not everyone goes every day. It can be normal for some people to have BMs once a week. To this day, I'll bet my son never goes more than twice a week.

This is going to sound nutty maybe, but I have a friend that uses reflexology (foot massage of certain points) to make her bowels move. She had a reflexologist show her the way to rub her feet to relieve her constipation. Her hubby does it for her now and she's much less bloated feeling and more "regular" than before.

Might be a low tech thing to try. Hey, I'm always up for a good foot rub ...doesn't sound half bad.
Unread 05-19-2005, 03:52 PM

I forgot to mention one more thing. If I splint by using my fingers like before my repairs I can go much easier. I still have to push alot, but it will come out that way. I don't have to splint everytime I go, but quite often. Before my hyst I went every other day like clockwork.
The office who did my testing was a colon rectal surgeon. I saw a gastroenterologist last Aug. because of constipation issues after my hyst. He did a colonoscopy, then labeled me IBS and put me on zelnorm. I had to quit taking the zelnorm within days because of terrible pain. It ended up I had gallbladder disease and never should have been on zelnorm. Now I wonder if maybe I do have IBS afterall or have adhesions holding on to my intestines. I continue to thump around in there quite often, especially after eating.
Either way, I am not miserable by any means and can deal with this for a while. There is no pain involved.I guess I should go to the follow up with the nurse practioner at the colon rectal office.I want them to take me seriously in case I need their help in the future.Right now I am to follow the bowel regeim (SPELL ?)and was supposed to be seen in six weeks. I guess I will make the appt. tomorrow.

Thanks again
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2005, 06:29 PM

I'm also having this problem at 12wks postop and while I agree that it might be normal not to go every day,that's not what was recommended by my MD and it's not comfortable. And because I had extensive bladder and paravaginal repairs,I don't want to strain or have to push down.
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism which can cause this as everything slows down.I also am in Physical therapy and have an appointment for Neurology next week--the doctor's idea--not mine--for possible nerve damage.
I suggest you keep make that appointment. I do think nerve damage can cause this. I guess we just have to keep going until we get answers. I'm sort of sick of seeing Doctors but I want to be healthy and have a good quality of life.I'm very motivated to do my part--I just wish they were a little more supportive.
Sharon
Unread 05-21-2005, 07:16 PM

Hi Sharon
I had a EMG and other anal testing done. It all came back ok, except they couldn't locate one of the nerves back there, which is weird because that is where I get shooting pain in my vagina at times. I think the lost of sensation is from nerve damage. I am also worried I may be getting a recurrence of my prolapse, because I can bm so much easier if I push inside of my vagina like old days.
I am going to make that appt Mon. with the colon dr. I am also going to make a appt with a urogyn who my gyn referred me to for pelvic support problems. He also deals with sexual issues.I just want to feel like a whole woman again. I don't think that is too much to ask. I am perfectably fine with having the hyst, I just want to feel sensation. I thought intimency would be wonderful with my DH after recovered from the hyst, boy was I disappointed. This lack of sensation is really wearing on me.It seems like something is always going wrong.
You are right, we have to hang in there
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register