just wanted to share & cervix ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just wanted to share & cervix ? just wanted to share & cervix ?

Unread 05-20-2005, 08:22 AM
just wanted to share & cervix ?

yippeee...yay..... today begins the third day of ZERO bleeding or spotting. I've had going on 15 days of ZERO blood in 73 days. Never two in a row! I'm thrilled! Let's hope I can make it to day three. New pains have started though. Which *****, but such is my life for now. Normally my pain is constant in left side and lower back (2herniated discs in lumbar region-which adds to my pain.) Now it seems I've developed the same 'burning, tearing...as if there's a hot branding iron trying to come out my side.." on the right side and the occasional "zaps" as I call them. Like you have a jolt of lightening blast thru your big ol' swelly belly. Anyone else do this?
I thought I was the only one in the world with this stuff. I"ve shared my issues with friends and family ==they try to be supportive..but it's like "uhhh. yeah, I certainly hope you feel better soon." They don't have an inkling. But you ladies do. At least to some degree. I appreciate this site more than anyone will ever know. Comfort in words...stories... and you can feel the hugs people send. Or maybe I just need it so much right now...I opened my heart to it.
I do have a question about the million dollar ..... eighth wonder of the world. ... heeheheheeee, the cervix!!! Long story short ..my mother has 8 sisters (yes 9 dd for grandma--9 ds too) 7 of 9 with TAH one with uterine cancer all with tumors, fibriods, endo etc. etc... does having an aunt with cancer increase my chances... ? Should that be more of a reason to consider taking the cervix? I don't need it really.. don't like the thought of bleeding from there after this is over even one iota. But unsure of what DR thinks. Any ideas... thanks for listening.. reading. You know what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2005, 11:47 AM

no bleeding. I hope it continues for you.

I didn't read what kind of surgery you're having. I'm assuming abdominal because if it was a TVH, they have to remove the cervix. Is there a reason your doctor NOT doing a TVH? Vaginal hysterectomy are less invasive, so they're a little easier to recover from.

I've heard reason for and against keeping the cervix. I have read that a cervix can help with future support pelvic support and I have read that it makes a difference in sex. Of course, if you keep your cervix you can have mini periods and cervical cancer. Ultimaltely it's up to you and your doctor. On a personal note here, removing my cervix has had no impact on my sex life. It is just as good, or maybe even better, than before my hysterectomy.

I think about having family member with cancer depends on which side. I was told the maternal side is a little more important in the gene pool. But I think even the paternal side would have some impact. I would suggest talking all this over with your doctor.

Yeah, hystersisters is a great place for women like us. I remember before my surgery how freaked out I was. And it always helped me to log on here and read some of the other sisters stories. Everyone on here is or has been where you are now. They truely understand.

Hey, we're both from West Virginia.

Donna
Unread 05-20-2005, 12:13 PM

Hi,
I'm afraid I don't know about the family history vs cancer question but I also wanted to state that having my cervix removed hasn't ruined my sex life either- everything has felt the same if not better.

I have heard that it's more difficult to remove the cervix later should it become necessary. I'd discuss it with your Doc for sure.
Hope all goes well for you and I absolutely agree that the women here are the most wonderful resource for information and support. I would have been lost without you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2005, 01:12 PM

Thanks to you both for your support. How nice to have people to share with ... and at least one from my home state.
Well ladies it's a little after 3 p.m. and still no blood! I can't believe it. I've truly been blessed these last couple of days.
I think I've decided removing the cervix. As I said, I don't want to see ANY more blood after I'm healed from surgery!! I almost think sex would be better...sex at all would be a plus.. with or without it. DH has been pleased about the last couple of days, imagine his surprise to have 3 days in a row!!. We've barely had relations 3 times in the last 6 months. But soon that should be over.
We have discussed briefly the surgery. He said "in all reality you may go in for vaginal and wake up with abdominal" he's the new DR working with my PCP (she's a wonderful wonderful woman-no one else would listen to me)and he had an emergency and couldn't examine me that day. So it's up in the air. He knows it needs out just haven't decided which way. I believe it should just be abdominal. Enlarged uterus (a year ago it was 12-14 wks, large fundal fibroid, complex cyst on left ovary. I have to follow up with him .. just waiting on the pre-op appt. to be scheduled.
Do they have to take the cervix vaginally if they leave the ovaries?
Unread 05-20-2005, 03:37 PM

They can take everything out vaginally. Ovaries and all. If they do a vaginal hysterectomy they have to remove the cervix. I highly recommend vagianal hysterectomies, if possible. They are a lot easier to recover from. The doctors do all the same stuff internally, but you don't have the cut to recover from. So, you have a shorter healing period.

I had a LAVH with A & P repairs and bladder work. The hysterectomy part was not a problem for me, the A& P repairs were the difficult part.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register