done with #2 chemo | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

done with #2 chemo done with #2 chemo

Unread 05-20-2005, 10:50 AM
done with #2 chemo

Just to keep all of you updated as you know I was apprehensive regarding the second treatment. It went just fine, no surprises. One of the side effects I have gotten on about day three is a jitteryness, kind of shaky. He gave me some ativan for that and it seems to have helped alot. Secondly he started me on antidepressant, Celexa. I am not proud to need this type of help, but if it takes the edge off of this detour in my life, I'm going to try it. Does anyone else have some of these symptoms. He keeps encouraging me that I am a stage 1C and that I will be fine, but my mind goes off on tangents. I am going to turn the page now and be more optomistic. I sure like the staff that administers the chemo, very nice people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2005, 11:17 AM
done with #2 chemo

s chrismb

I'm happy to hear that treatment #2 went so well. The jitteriness could be from the steroids. I know that I had alot of the same issues with that.

I think it's great that you are willing to try the Celexa. I was also put on an anti-depressent when I was diagnosed. I was on Lexapro. There is no shame in taking these.

You were staged very early, that is probably why your Dr. is so optimistic. You need to be the same way. Remember....think only positive thoughts...keep us posted on your progress.

Unread 05-20-2005, 11:42 AM
I take Ativan and Celexa

I also post on acor.org and have found that many of us have some carefully prescribed medications to help us. The ativan I use at night so I can relax (bad sleep problems all my life) and the Celexa helps with depression. With the Celexa, I feel very normal and even and can laugh loudly when appropriate and cry, as at funerals, as appropriate. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Cancer is a hard-impacting disease and you are joining a great many other sisters who have needed medication help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2005, 11:49 AM
done with #2 chemo

chrismb, I was diagnosed with stage 0 breast cancer (DCIS) -- the places my mind went . . . . Cancerhead for sure. But time seems to have cured it. I'm 2.5 years post diagnosis. Just get a little anxious come annual mammos in October.

An optimistic outlook helps immensely. Congratulations on getting through no. 2. You're almost half way through! (Total of six?) You'll do fine.

Mary D.
Unread 05-20-2005, 01:27 PM
done with #2 chemo

dear Chrismb,

I am so glad your 2nd treatment went off without a hitch.
As for the jitters...yep, I bet it's the steroids. I could'nt sleep when I was on Dexamethasone, so the doc changed my prescription to something else (sorry , can't remember what it was!!) but it DID make a difference in the jittery-ness.

I'm glad you like your chemo medics....I also loved mine, and they had such a wonderfully optomist and caring attitude that I"m sure made aall the difference in the world to me during treatment.

Keep up the good work!

XOXOX
K9
Unread 05-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi Chrismb,

Glad you had an eventless chemo #2. I'm still waiting for my platelets/bloodcounts to go back to normal to get chemo #3. It's been postponed two weeks now... they haven't prescribed any relaxants yet (although I've been quite emotinal lately).

My husband has noted that since treatment began I have been less patient and quite on edge, but it's to be expected with all we're dealing with and now the added stress of not getting a treatment on time. I'm also going nuts trying to get this hospital to give me an appt for my MRI - voice mails everywhere!

Take it easy. Relax and rest up for the next one. You're almost done!
Unread 05-20-2005, 02:53 PM
done with #2 chemo

Chris,
The jitteriness would be from the steroids. After the jitteriness wears off, I would want to sleep a long time.

I think when we are doing the chemo and dealing with everything that goes with it, we do wonder if we are doing enough to get rid of the cancer. We wonder if it is working. It does get easier following treatments, at least after that first postchemo checkup. After that, tends to be the few days or week before the checkup.

Remember that the chemo is your friend and is working for you to evict any possible remaining cells from your body.

How many more do you have?

s
Jane B
Unread 05-20-2005, 03:00 PM
done with #2 chemo

Hi
Hang in there. What medications you need to help you fight this cancer is private-up to you and your physicians to decide. Don't ever feel guilty about taking antidepressants. Also cancer is frightening no matter what stage you have.

You are doing well. And we are here to support you.

Cindy
Unread 05-20-2005, 08:59 PM
done with #2 chemo

s Chris

Yeap, those steroids tend to reve up our engines.
I recall the jitters along with insomnia.
I was one that had the taxol reaction with my first infusion.
So I got to be very pumped up with Decadron the day before chemo as well as the IV decadron the day of chemo.
Before you know it, this time will all be behind you.
Treat yourself gently right now.

oxoxoxo karenann
Unread 05-21-2005, 08:44 AM
done with #2 chemo

Hi ((Chris))
Thanks for your update; it looks like things are going very well. I am glad you are trying to follow you doc's advice and trying to look for/seek the positive because the more I read, the more I learn that this helps physically as well as mentally. Glad your doctor also reminds you that you are an early stage with good prognoses, etc. Sometimes it can help when a professional reminds us re this.
Also, pls never feel ashamed to take meds to help oneself, it is the smart thing to do when one needs them and I hope they will help quickly with the sleep and the jitters, etc.
Please keep us informed re how you are doing. I will keep you in as every little nasty is bombarded to outerspace and beyond.
s, peggiesue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register