Just had second nerve block... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just had second nerve block... Just had second nerve block...

Unread 05-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Just had second nerve block...

I just had the second nerve block & I am in more pain know then when I went in. They had a lot of problems with the left side. He said that my bone in the left side is longer & my hip bone was in the way as well. I did not have much pain when they did the right side, but the left side was awful.

When they had me get up out of the bed I could hardley move my left leg. It still hurts pretty bad & it was done at 10am this morning. And still only pain meds I am being told to take is tyonel and to ice the area.

When I left the nurse even comented on how I was limping & looked like I was in a lot of pain.

I am fearing this nerve block made it worce not better... I am so afraid to tell DH...

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2005, 02:16 PM

Kim,

You do need to let DH know when you are in pain. Otherwise, he might think you are mad at him or something else is wrong. We don't hide pain as well as we'd like to think.

I'm sorry the nerve block left you feeling worse. I hope that's temporary and you are painfree soon.

Unread 05-20-2005, 02:45 PM

Kim,
I'm sorry that you're in more pain now. You should tell your dh. If your dh is like mine, he will probably know it anyways. My dh now knows when I am hurting, I usually don't even have to say anything. After all these years, it's very hard to hide it.

I hope the pain eases up for you soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2005, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the support Kim & Michelle. Dh new as soon as he came home & looked at me. I feel like I let him down cause he was hoping that I would get pain releif for at least a few weeks with starting my new job on Monday. We are both hoping that when the steroid kicks in that maybe that will provide some relief, they said last time it takes 3-4 days for that to take effect once the local wears off.

I know he used a lot of local cause my toes where numb, but as soon as I tried to get out of the hospital bed I had instant pain in my left groin area. Last time I had pain but it was in my back where they did the injections, so fare I have no back pain.

I guess ideally they would like to have a special needle made & burn the nerve, they said it would provide pain releif for 6-12 months. I have to admit that them putting all these needles in my back does make me a bit conserned.... I mean what if they where to burn the wrong nerve.

I am hoping my new insurance will allow me to go to one of the better facilitys in the area, I guess I will find out more Monday when I get all the details about the insurance. If they cover acupunture I think I would like to give it a try.

I just hope & pray I can hold the pain in as my new place of employment I will have to deal with stairs, which still irratate my incision.

I was told to call the PM doctor in a week & give the nurse & update, and then 3 weeks latter to come in for a 5-10 min chat with the doctor. DH & I where talking & I am going to see if I can just speak with the doctor on the phone since they will be located about 125 miles from our new place. I just can't see driving that far for a 5-10 min chat. I guess at this point I don't really understand the plan of treatment...

At first they stated if the first nerve block provided relief they would do a second & burn the nerve... Well I had my second and the only one that is talking about burning the nerve my last three visits is the nurse. The PM just takes about doing another local w/steroids.

How are you other ladies treating your nerve pain? There has to be other ways to treat it then these blocks which are so short lasted with releif. I was so hopeful after this block when I did not feel any pain while I was laying there for the first 90 mins, but as soon as I tried to move my leg it was over.

Kim
Unread 05-21-2005, 01:33 PM

Hi Sweety!

I am sorry that you are in pain from your injection. The way that you describe it is that it was done through your back to the pudendal nerve...is this correct? I just had a nerve block done yesterday but we did it vaginally to the pudendal nerve. I have read of both ways being done....but I have never heard of a nerve burn. I don't understand how they would "burn" the nerve...esp. w/o doing surgery. I have read about a surgery called presacral neurectomy. I talked to my dr about it because from what I have read it has pretty good success rate...but it does scare me and I don't feel at that point yet. And I understand that it is a very specialized surgery that only a few perform.

From what I understand about the nerve block injection is that it will hurt the day of having it done...mine did and I took some Norco and Advil to try and calm everything down. When I went to the store last night....low and behold I could walk through the store with no pain (my brain kept expecting it to hurt, so I was still paranoid) But with the amount of pain and the placement of the pain...it makes me worry about you and concerns me that the placement of the injection was off.....now I am no expert by any means! But I would either call the dr back or since it is Sat. if you are experiencing major pain and concern go to the ER! At least they will be able to give you something for the pain.

There is a good website that I found...and I don't fit with their exact description of PNE...but check it out.
http://pn.jcon.org/faq/PudendalFAQ.htm#WhatIsPNE

It also gives a great look at the nerve and placement
http://pn.jcon.org/images/FemalePudendalNerve.jpg

Take care of yourself...I hope that you are doing ok.
Unread 05-21-2005, 11:04 PM

Hi Sweety,

Was looking for something else and ran across a burn procedure that sounds like what you were talking about. Goes to show you that I don't know what I was talking about as far as that procedure!

http://www.painmanagementdoctor.com/...Int-Teach.html

scroll down to Facet Nerve Joint Radiofrequency Rhizotomy.
Unread 05-24-2005, 04:34 PM

Kim,
I am so sorry this one was bad. I was so hoping that you would get results like last time. From what you described, I really couldn't understand the treatment plan either. Sounds like you are getting different information from diff people. I want so much for you to feel better once and for all. Just know that you are always on my mind and in my prayers

Ruby,
At one point a doc spoke with me about having a portion of the nerves that innervate the pelvic removed for pain relief, but he said the success rate is only 50% and then you have to worry if it will effect your bowel and bladder function which is a possibility. I told him that the odds weren't good enough for me and I didn't want to be incontinent of bowel and bladder either. Before you consider something like this, please get a second opinion.
Unread 05-24-2005, 04:52 PM

Hi Marian,

I'm with you about the surgery...it really does scare me and my dr is not too hyped about it either, so that would be a last ( and I do mean last ) resort. I just had the nerve block done last Friday and the pain has been almost gone. Going for another one this Friday. With the success of this last one, it does give me a ray of sunshine that this might work for me, and maybe I wouldn't be in pain and on meds for the rest of my life.

Do you know how many or how often you can have these nerve blocks?

Thank-you to all of you...your treatments and medications have really helped for me and my dr to plot the course that is right for me.
Unread 05-24-2005, 05:20 PM

I really dont know about how often or how many nerve blocks you can have. I don't have nerve pain, so I haven't had any experience with it. I am glad to hear the first one went well and I hope the second one does also. Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register