Pain on the left side | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain on the left side Pain on the left side

Unread 05-21-2005, 09:49 PM
Pain on the left side

I've been in constant pain since March 25. I woke up that morning with a horrific pain in my left side. I totally freaked out. I thought this was all over after the LAVH/BSO last August. I was hospitalized over Easter weekend. My CT scan showed an inflammation of my descending colon. The doctors assumed divierticulitis.

I finally had a colonoscopy on May 13 after numerous rounds of antibiotics. I had thrush for a month because of all of them. The scope was normal. Then I had a barium enema on Wednesday, May 18. Now I'm scheduled for a diagnostic laparoscopy next Friday, May 27. Two months of this is quite enough. I'm ready to find out what's going on. I asked if it could be that the endo spread, but my OB/GYN does not think so. I pray that whatever is causing the pain is found and can be taken care of during the lap. I don't want to have more surgery.

I come to you sisters for support and prayers. As anyone else experienced anything similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Pain on the left side

No...I've not experienced the same, although I am having other pains/problems that docs are finding hard to diagnose.

Am sorry to hear you are going through all this. You are definitely in my prayers......s.......Deb
Unread 05-22-2005, 05:21 AM
Pain on the left side

I too had a similar scenario post op about 12 weeks. I had pain on each side of my incision. Assumed it was due to unresolve seromas, so a CT was scheduled. Report said either divericulitis or post surgical changes. Was put on Flagly and a low residue diet. Still having problems so they added Cipro to Flagyl. Felt Ok for a couple of weeks, then lousy again. Gave me another round of both antibiotics. Finally got in to see GI and colonoscopy was scheduled. Said she couldn't see any visible pouches and felt I had a mild case of diverticulosis with removal of very small benign polyp. GI felt my problems were probably related to surgical changes and that I may have adhesive disease. GYN said it is all from diverticulosis which can be quite painful. Have been taking a drug called Bentyly which relaxes your colon and that helps. I will wait this all out as more surgery will mean more adhesions and I have had it with surgery and testing. So far so good. I have had IBS symptoms since my Csection in 98, and it did improve with surgery. They found extensive adhesions in my abdomen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2005, 06:17 AM
Pain on the left side

Sandwoman,

That's exactly what they did for me antibiotically. Since the colonoscopy and berium enema show that my GI tract is normal, that does not explain the pain. Since I'm only 29 the GI had a hard time believing diverticulitis. All I can do now is wait and see.

Thanks for your story.
Unread 05-22-2005, 06:34 AM
Pain on the left side

Heather...do you have IBS symptoms? I neglected to mention I was also on a low residue diet for 6 weeks during the course of antibiotics. Made me gain weight but I think it also helped my colon rest. Was also given Bentyl (antispasmodic) which seemed to help. That also relaxes your colon. The worse case scenario for me is that adhesions have regrown at the surgery sites and I will not pursue that course unless the pain becomes debilitating again. This stuff is just no fun. Hope things improve for you. Diet seems to really help me.
Unread 05-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Pain on the left side

I show no signs of IBS. My bowel habits are regular w/o constipation. I was on the low residue diet out of the hospital until 7 weeks later when the colonoscopy was normal. All I have is the pain and the CT scan that showed an inflammation of my descending colon. There's nothing wrong inside of my colon.

Thanks for all the help!
Unread 05-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Pain on the left side

Oh I know what you are going through...I'm had a pain/cramps in my left side since Feb 22. In the hospital, everything. I've been on numerous pills...Flagel seems to help but once I go off it a week or two later it all returns.....Flush/hot feeling/flu like feeling/cramps/pain....

I will pray for you, its no fun....I did see my gyno last week took 9 viles of blood for numerous test and next will be a lap which I really don't want, but I will...She also said she will most likely find nothing...

Many, Many Hugs
Julie
Unread 05-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Pain on the left side

I had a somewhat similar experience just under four weeks after my hyst. Horrendous left sided pain, cycling fevers. Turned out mine was diverticulitis. I was also treated with that lovely Cipro/Flagyl combo and it took a month of that, plus a low residue diet, to get it to go away... only to return a year later despite my trying to be careful about what I ate. At that point, I had over 3 feet of my colon removed because the gastro felt that I was young enough (46) that as the infection kept recurring I was setting myself up for a perforated colon.

When they went in to do the surgery, they found that it had in fact already perforated, but I'd been lucky because an abscess had formed around that part of the colon and contained the infected "stuff", so I'd had a local case of peritonitis as well. No wonder it hurt so bad! All's well that ends well, though... other than having to take tons of fiber and have fairly frequent bowel movements (2-3 a day), I can live pretty normally now and can eat anything I like

s,
-Linda
Unread 05-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Pain on the left side

Heather:

Sending your way for a speedy resolution of your pain. I also have had a difficult left side, but no where near constant pain although the pain level gets pretty horrendous when it hits.

Lots of s for you as well. Let us know how you are doing ... keep us posted!
Unread 05-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Pain on the left side

Hi Heather! I too will pray for healing for you. I had a TAH along with ovaries taken out 3 years ago. This week, I had horrible left side pain and spotting. They did a CT scan yesterday and told me I have diverticulitis and have me on a liquid diet, and then to move onto a soft diet for a few days to rest my colon. The pain is still there, especially when I move, walk, etc.

I was scared too that the endo was back and my GP did not think it was endo growing back. He said it could possibly be adhesions though since I've had 3 laproscopies, plus the TAH. I'm on 2 antibiotics right now, but still have the pain.

Be sure to update us on how you are doing. Blessings to you and hope you get to feeling better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register