Just found out I have ovarian cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just found out I have ovarian cancer Just found out I have ovarian cancer

Unread 05-27-2005, 08:52 AM
Just found out I have ovarian cancer

I had an abdominal hysterectomy April 18th, and found out I have stage 2c ovarian cancer. I am terrified. I am 56 and have 3 grown daughters. I just got married to the most wonderful man on May 7th. I can't believe he still wanted to go though with it. He is my protector.
I have an appointment later today with my oncologist to find out the results of blood work and cat scan. Then next week I start my cemo. I hope I make it though this. I have constant tightness in my chest from the stress, and I need to take xanax a few times a week, especially on the days that I have doctor appointments.
Is there any advice out there, I do need some kind of support to get through this.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2005, 09:21 AM
You will get through this!

Yes, you will make it through this! It's sort of like having a child - you know there will be pain and once the contractions begin, you just have to stay with them until they're gone. But you get through it because there's really no other choice.

Maybe it's a bad analogy because there's usually a wonderful child there waiting after the contractions, but maybe it's a good analogy, too, because I know of soooo many women (including myself) who have had wonderful experiences and insights after finding out they have cancer.

I can only tell you that after I found out I had cancer, I did not concentrate on the diagnosis; instead, I found myself looking around me and saying "Thank you" for all that I had - a great family, wonderful friends, four exceptional dogs, a great home, and when I would take walks (many of them) between the diagnosis and the surgery and then again between the surgery and the radiation, I would say thanks for the trees, birds, snow, and I'm still saying thanks. Most of us have just so goll-darn much for which to be thankful!

Keep busy and try to focus on your blessings! Research so you're as informed as you can be. Cry. Laugh. Ask for hugs.

I wish you the very best!
Unread 05-27-2005, 09:21 AM

I really dont know what to say, but I do know you are in the right place for support. I am glad that you are not alone in this. How long will you have to do chemo? I will keep you in my prayers and ask God to give you peace. You need to focus on your recovery and take care of yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi

Im so sorry that you have recently been diagnosed with ovca. You will get lots of support from this Board especially from those with the same diagnosis as yourself and who have had/or going through chemo at the moment. I was diagnosed with stage1a grade 1 ovca so didnt have chemo but somebody will be along soon who can give you advice.

many to you
sheila
Unread 05-27-2005, 09:54 AM

Just wanted to send big

I'm glad you have a protector to help. You can get through this. It's a scary word, but they know so much more about cancer than they used to. It's tough, but there IS life after treatment.

Unread 05-27-2005, 10:03 AM

Dear Sad

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It really is quite a shock, isn't it?

The first thing you need to do is keep a positive attitude and ignore all the statistics and well meaning friends who all seem to know someone with a horror story. This website is a great place to share, learn, and vent.

I am going for my 3rd round of chemo on Tuesday, and it really isn't all that bad. There have been a few minor side effects, but it really is doable.

Here are some of the things I have learned in the past 3 months:

- Surround yourself with positive people you love and whose company you enjoy.
- Accept help from anyone who wants to give it. You will be surprised at some of the people who will step up to the plate to support you. Don't be surprised if they are not the people you are expecting.
- Don't sweat the small stuff.
- Look after you. If there ever was a time when you can be a bit selfish and look after you, this is it!
- If there is a Look Good, Feel Good program in your area, attend it
- Deal with an oncologist who will give you straight answers, and ask lots of questions, regardless how trivial you think they might be
- If they tell you to take medication with food, do it (I learned this one the hard way)!
- Immerse yourself in a hobby or anything that will excercise your mind, and occupy your time.

We are here for you.

Blessings.
Unread 05-27-2005, 10:23 AM

Oh yes! You WILL get through this. I am about the same age as you, (1 year older). I was diagnosed last year, had my hyst in july, and I finished my 6th chemo in november. It was certainly doable. I am so glad you have a protector, my DH was my rock through it all. Anyway, just think it as a bump in the road, and enjoy your new life with your new husband. I think it will make you closer, we have been married 29 years, and have always been very happily married and had a very close relationship. But this made us appreciate each other more than ever. A word about chemo, remember, any side effects that bother you, tell them about, because usually there is something to help it. I think my worst problem was constipation, so prepare in advance for that and start taking something the day before. (that's what worked for me).
take care, I will be thinking about you.
Unread 05-27-2005, 10:51 AM

Dear Sad,

I started chemo nearly a year ago for what is either 1C or 2C ovarian. Obviously, there's no good time to get cancer, but you're so lucky to have a new husband to help you through. I was 44 when I was diagnosed last year and have a young daughter, who had really been my guiding light through all this. And many women are diagnosed at 3C, so your stage is a bit earlier, which hopefully means less chance of recurrence.

Chemo's no fun, but it is doable. Yes, you'll lose your hair and feel kind of yucky most likely for a week out of every three week cycle. The other two weeks I felt pretty much normal and worked. The newer anti-nausea drugs really do seem to work wonders. For me, it took a few tries to find the one that worked best for me. The best advice I got was that you don't have to feel nauseous all the time, just ask for a new prescription if what you're taking isn't doing the job. I took Emend.

You'll find lots of support here. Please let us know how you're doing.
Unread 05-27-2005, 10:54 AM

Dear Sad,

I am so sorry. And, I totally understand your fears. You are certainly not alone in your anxiety and stress. The diagnosis of cancer feels almost surreal.

I did not have ovarian cancer....I had Uterine cancer.

What I can relate to however, ..... is the fact that you got married and found out you had cancer all in the same year. The very same thing happened to me. ( although I found out after I was already married) In July of 2003, at 56...I married a wonderful guy. In November of 2003 I ended up having surgery for Uterine Cancer (TAH adenocarcinoma grade 1 stage 1b) What a shocker!!! For those first few months the pit of my stomach was always aching with anxiety. My husband also lost his job and we had to sell my house.

I am still dealing with some health issues. But, I am so glad I had a great partner to help me through. He has steadfastly been there for me, even the grumpy, distraught me.

So, in this way, I can empathize with you in terms of having a new marriage on top of a very scary diagnosis.

Since my diagnosis, I have been doing a lot of research. Please continue to educate yourself, both here, using search engines, your Dr.'s, wherever you can find good information. You will begin to feel empowered and more in control. Being proactive helps abate some of the anxiety. But, there is no way around it, these will be trying times. Somehow, each of us finds a 'courage' we never thought we had. I think this will be true for you!!!

On a postive note...there are many success stories out there. The road is often bumpy and extremely difficult, but there is another side. I am a different person since my diagnosis. A better wiser human being. ( But pulllleease, I would rather this cancer be my last learning curve.)

My heart goes out to you. Jeeeeez, I hope I haven't babbled on too much....

Please keep us informed of your progress. You will find here, a group of caring and concerned/supportive woman. It will be a source of comfort for you. Not to mention, the on-going support of your new loving husband.

Take Care,

baylee6 ( Diane)

PS Please continue to use this site for information. ie a lot of sisters here will also be able to help you with chemo quesions/concerns. etc etc
Unread 05-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Ovarian

It sounds like you caught a wonderful man there! He'll be a good companion as you go through chemo.

Chemo is do-able. I know that seems hard to believe, but it is. All of us react differently to the chemo and from chemo to chemo. Fatigue and losing hair are the two biggies. You'll have times when you don't want to move. Otherwise, you may or may not have nausea/vomiting, you may or may not have constipation/diarrhea, they may come once or twice. Each chemo I just took as it came.

Look Good Feel Better is fantastic! It's fun and very high quality things.

I loved my wig(s). I found that a wig cap under them made them more comfortable. Around home, a scarf or cap or nothing--up to you. Out--wig, scarf, hat or nothing--up to you.

Keep posting--we can take you through the stages and chemo.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register