Should I get a THIRD opinion?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I get a THIRD opinion?? Should I get a THIRD opinion??

Unread 02-21-2001, 10:01 AM
Should I get a THIRD opinion??

The pathology report from my D&C last month showed complex hyperplasia with atypia -- definitely precancerous. My doc recommended a hyster and I was scheduled for this Friday, 2/23. Then I sent the slides to another pathologist who came back with simple hyperplasia with NO atypia. At that point, I chose to try progestin therapy for 3 months, repeat the D&C and go from there. But now I am starting to worry incessantly about endometrial cancer. I'm only 40 and my kids are just 8 and 5. I want to be here for them and my DH so am I taking an unnecessary risk? My doc is still recommending the hyster, although he's agreed to try the hormones. Should I get a third opinion on the slides? What if that one comes back normal or cancer? I never realized reading biopsy slides could be so subjective! I always thought it was either one or the other. I'm just worrying myself sick over this.

Laura in Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2001, 12:06 PM

I'm so sorry this waiting has to be driving you crazy!But my opinion is yes a third opinion sounds good.You didn't say how you feel about your original Dr.I mean have you had them along time,do you trust them,And mostly do you want more kid's.If your not sure and can't decide definatly go for a third.I have a good friend waiting just like you are and she decided to get the third opinion.I didn't know they could read them so differently either!But since it's pre cancerous it sounds like you have the time to be careful!Don't rush into a decision take your time and do whatever makes you feel more comfortable.Listen to your heart and follow it.Don't let anyone rush your decision.Good luck and let us know!You'll be in my prayers.
Unread 02-21-2001, 12:58 PM

Hi Laura,
Wow...that is just amazing....I am very surprized that they would come up with different theories.

I agree with notexcited....I would go for a 3rd opinion for sure, just to ease your mind. God forbid it there were something there now, that was jus missed the first time.
I am curious what your doctor had to say about the 2nd test coming back differently.

I would almost thing he/she would automatically want to do another test....just to prove one way or the other which one is correct.

You said you are worried sick about this...and if getting the 3rd opinion will help ease your mind, then you should go for it. Especially Laura, where if there is something....it sounds like it would be easily caught at this stage.
Good luck with whatever decision you decide.
Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well!
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2001, 02:33 PM

Thanks, ladies, for your input. I have been going to my GYN for 10 years and he delivered both my babies. He's usually very conservative in his approach to anything, so I'm sure he thinks this is serious. He has spent hours (yes, hours) talking face-to-face with me and my husband, answering our questions, drawing diagrams, etc. He understands my hesitation to take such a drastic step but he also doesn't want me to risk cancer.

We didn't plan to have more kids so that isn't a concern. I just don't want to lose my organs if I don't absolutely HAVE to! And, to be honest, I'm scared to death of the surgery and after-effects. It seems everyone has a different experience -- good and bad -- so there are no guarantees.

I had the D&C to remove a polyp that was causing some bleeding -- I had no other symptoms. My doctor was shocked to get the results of the pathology report. He said he thinks the 3 months of Megace might reverse the hyperplasia, but it could come back at any time. He will do endometrial biopsies every 6 months for the rest of my life, but the last one I had in December (right before the D&C) came back normal. So THAT'S not very encouraging.

Thanks for listening. I haven't decided yet whether or not I will go for another opinion. But I might take your advice and do it.

Laura in Georgia
Unread 02-21-2001, 02:44 PM
I would go for the third opinion

Hi,

Yeah, I would go for the third opinion. Probably. At the same time, or maybe before doing that, I would really take a hard look at this. I would think about the accuracy of endometrial biopsies (sort of by guess and by golly) and the obvious possibility of differences in opinions on reading of the same slides. I would ask myself if I would trust a biopsy result ever again. I would really try to search my soul here and wonder if I would worry about this, if it would always be in the back of my mind, and if it would interfere with my life in any way.

Then I'd examine the fear of surgery. You're right, there are people who have problems with the surgery. But from what I've seen on here, they really do seem to be few and far between. The vast majority of us have this surgery, recover well, and are grateful for having had it done. So what your particular fears are I don't know, but I think I'd try to address them before making any decision about this matter.

It obviously doesn't matter to me what path you choose. I only encourage you to educate yourself, search your own feelings and fears, and make the wisest decision for yourself.

Good luck.
Unread 02-21-2001, 03:34 PM

I would certainly go for a third opinion . Cancer is not to mess with, so a third opinion should give you a clear result, (hopefully). If you don't have a third opinion and decide to go with the hormones, will you be worrrying all the time that the cancer is still there? I had pre cancerous cells and I just wanted them out, because research shows that it does eventually progress to cancer, usually 3 to 5 years. Best of luck with your decision and we are always here to support you
Unread 02-21-2001, 03:57 PM

I would also have to vote for a third opinion. Considering how worried you are, I can't believe that you would be able to make a confident decision with two doctors who don't agree. YOU need to make the decision that you feel is best for you. If you go to a third doctor, then you will have more info to go on. Don't be afraid to ask them questions either. That is what they are there for!
Unread 02-21-2001, 04:10 PM

I'm curious if you've had other tests such as CT Scan, Vaginal Ultra-sound, CA125. These are just some of the other tests that are done that can help indicate what your condition is. Did your 2nd opinion look at all the slides? Some portions of a biopsy can show up clear and some can show up with atypia. Why? because they are from different sections of your uterine lining. A biopsy can be sort of like pot luck in terms of the cells that are captured for examination. Personally I would request that a Endometrial Biopsy be done then see where you go.
hang in there.
Unread 02-21-2001, 06:53 PM

{{Laura}}

I'm so sorry your having such a difficult time with this. I'm sure conflicting reports do make a hard decision that much more difficult. I think I would tend to agree with the rest of the ladies and check into a third opinion. If only to make your decision easier and give you peace of mind.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope you'll be able to get some definitive information.

Take care,
Vicki
Unread 02-21-2001, 09:51 PM

Yes 3rd 4th or 5th opinion as many as it takes to make you feel comfortable with your treatment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register