Positive Experiences Please :) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Positive Experiences Please :) Positive Experiences Please :)

Unread 05-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Positive Experiences Please :)

Hi I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I had a total abdominal
hysterectomy. I am doing well at this point. I have experienced some sleepless nights, a couple of emotional moments, and bowel problems. I am taking Estrasorb (samples given by doctor). I have been reading Susan Somers book The Sexy Years (all about hrt). I find the information I get off the Internet, the info. from the book, and posts by others who have had a hysterectomy very overwhelming and confusing at times.........not to mention worrisome. Will I eventually need a cocktail of HRT to get by, is the swelly belly here to stay plus a few pounds ........and how to decide what is best re: hrt and weight control (mind boggling). I know we are all different in our needs and desires. But at times when I read
the posts I feel doomed to a life of unstable emotions and weight
issues. Sometimes I think I read too much (my family and friends
definitely do)....lol....however, I do like to be informed. Looking
for positive experiences with all this Robin

P.S. This is my first post, I have been reading the posts by others for a couple of weeks now and do want to add that they have been very helpful. Without this site I would have no way of knowing that some of what I was experiencing others were also experiencing. So thank you ALL for being open and sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2005, 01:51 AM

((Robin))

I can understand how you can find all the different opinions and experiences to be overwhelming and you're left wondering where you fit it with it all. At least you're getting a broad knowledge base of what can actually happen, but you've also got to realise that usually it's only the ladies with problems that post here.....most of the ladies who breeze through the surgery and it's aftermath don't post. I think we must always keep that at the back of our minds. You can also scare yourself spitless reading too much as well. Maybe you should back off just a little and have a breather for a few days and see how you feel.

You're still very early postop and your body is still coming to terms with the surgery. As time goes by I'm sure things will gradually start to settle down. It can take many many months for your body to return to normal....patience and time are your very best friends! Be kind to yourself.

Unread 05-29-2005, 02:18 AM

I can honestly say I have nothing but good experiences to tell. Yeah my pants didn't fit till about 5 weeks and I spotted as long as that also, but I am now at 6 weeks and life is wonderful. I agree that reading too much of these posts tended to get me all worked up and looking for symptoms like others. Yes it's good to be aware of what is happening to you but I found that my recovery was very normal if not uneventful. I have kept one ovary so hrt is not an issue with me right now, but weight gain is always an issue since I am getting close to 40. Mind you I am not heavy but not thin. After the surgery I just came to terms with it being possible I would gain weight and if I did then so be it. I like me just the way I am and an extra 10 pounds isn't going to change anything. Enjoy your recovery, relax, and don't worry too much. It's not worth the extra time, espcially when you could be enjoying other fun things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2005, 06:31 AM
Cheer up, it does get beter

Robin, I'm almost 1yr post well July I will be and its been great all the way.I read all the post and books and listened toothers before and it scared me to death.. However when I went in I decided I wouldn't be scared any more (and I wasn't) I chose my hyster due to terrible migraines that would have me throwing up and physically draw my face to one side they came right along with my cycle none of the doctors put the two togther (DUH) anyway when I heard that there was a chance they might get better I went for it I figure at worst no more periods.....
anyway I went in 18 hours later I was home feeling a little tired but doing great, three days later I climbed on back of our harley and went for a short 1 hour ride..It was great..4 more days I was back at work (I do have a desk job) at three weeks was cleared by my doctor to return to regular activiies.....I left the hospital with a hormone patch but shortly after discarded it as well....I do not take anything now and haven't for about 9 months....within 3 months I was rodeoing, motorcycle riding and scuba diving have since also took up kickboxing.......I do it all to treat my mind the fact that it helps my body is just a plus.......So there is positive experiences out there, But I'm a very firm believer you have to set your mind to it........Listen to your own body and you'll be fine.....Don't automatically take everything you read as law use it more like guide lines and see how it all applies to you, Use what you can of it and just let the rest go.......If you convince your self your doomed you will more than likely have a rough time...
I have never regretted one minute of it..

Take care and best wishes, my membership here expires in a few days and I hardly ever get on any more so I won't be renewing......I wish you all the best in your recovery and life

Many many hugs to you
Unread 05-29-2005, 06:57 AM

Robin -

I am also at 3 and so weeks out.
Before AND after I felt like you i rgds to being thankful for info here, and sometimes overwhelmed by all the info - here and everywhere. I usually stopped 'informing' myself for a few days and then would return to this site and reading info etc. Sometimes to look for info in rgds to something I was experiencing or just becuz there are other ladies who knew what i was feeling.
Unread 05-29-2005, 08:20 AM

I am 5 weeks out from TAH/BSO and feeling better than I have in years! My hormones are leveling out and doing well. I'm sleeping better. Emotions are sometimes a little down but nothing that I can't handle. I have a few hot flashes throughout the day. Energy is coming back better than it ever was before.

It's a slow process - our bodies have been through a lot in the last couple months - first whatever lead up to the reason for having the hyst and then the surgery itself.

I'm not going to say that I feel like running a marathon because I don't; I'm still sore and I have a lot of tenderness around my belly (the nerves are starting to wake up again and so now it feels like little pin pricks over the skin when anything touches it). Swelly belly still shows up a little at the end of the day if I've been up. I still get tired after I go shopping, but it's getting better everyday. With my Dr's ok I've started working out again this week and started having sex again - everything is going great. I will be going back to work next week and while I'm worried about my energy levels and back pain, I am looking forward to going back.

I have found that this is not an easy process. Sometimes it's 3 steps forward and 2 steps back and others it's 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. I've found that I'm finally moving forward more often than back now. Just give it time and be patient. If the HRT you are using now isn't working well then see your Dr and try something else until you find something that does work for you. There are lots of different kinds out there you just have to find the one that's right for you. Try not to get overwhelmed.
Wishing you the best.
Tammy
Unread 05-29-2005, 08:52 AM

Hi Robinsview,

We're glad to have you join us. It sounds like you are doing pretty well. The ups and downs are pretty normal as others have shared here. I think you are very wise to be reading and informing yourself. Don't let yourself be overwhelmed, but get the information so you can work with your dr to make informed decisions.
Hystersisters has so much good information. I hope you are checking out some of the articles. There is good information on recovery questions and tips for where you are right now and what to expect in the Checkpoints and the Post-Op Articles.

You can also find a lot of really good information on hormones in the Hormone Article List

I wish you well in your research. Try not to stress, like the others have said this is a process and takes time. You will figure out what your body needs as you go. Take care of yourself and let us know if we can help.

's, Rita
Unread 05-29-2005, 10:13 AM
a good result

Hi Robinsview,

This is a great site-I am 11 months post-op, and I have been on HRT (the Vivelle patch) since the day after surgery. I had to add testosterone cream to the mix for my sensations and libido, and then just added oral testosterone to the mix to improve my libido to what it was before surgery.

I have not gained any weight, I have lots of energy, I am exercising, lifting weights at the Y on the circuit machines, swimming a mile a few times a week, etc.

I am also in my mid-fifties. I do have a lot more aches and pains, but maybe I had them before too. I was in such agony from and enlarged and prolasped everything, and growing fibroids, ovarian cysts that were causing a lot of pain.

I did my research, talked to 4 ob/gun's and made my decision about HRT. I tried a few weeks without it, and I was NOT a happy person. I couldn't sleep, had horrible headaches, had a sense of impending doom and anxiety, and started to ache all over really badly. My skin got so dry I thought it was going to all flake off. I opted to take the HRT since with surgical menopause all bets are off. The information is different for women going through natural menopausse vs surgical menopause.

At least you have this great site to come and hash things out and get support in whatever decisions you make
Unread 05-29-2005, 11:38 AM

Robinsview,
Just take it one day at a time.

I had a very normal recovery. Felt all the normal pains but I also felt very good. And I LOVED the time off to relax. The pain was temporary. The renewed health is permanent.

If you are searching the Internet and reading lots of books about HRT and weight control no wonder you are going into information overload.

There is a forum here for people going through hormone issues that might help.

As for weight issues, if you had them before you'll still have them.

There's too much questionable information out there on weight control. Use good judgement and remember there is no magic bullet.

Diane
Unread 05-30-2005, 12:37 AM

Hi !
I just want to say " Thank You" to ALL of you for responding to my post It is awesome to have the support and I really appreciate it . It is easy (at times) to feel all alone in your recovery........family and friends are supportive as they can be...... but they are still out moving forward with their daily routines and we are home and the clock goes tick, tick, tick !! It is nice to have you ALL to vent too Thank You!

I am moving right along, I have my 4 week check up on Tuesday. I have my list of questions for the Dr. I seem to be doing okay with the Estrasorb so I think I would like to stick with it......but the Dr. said he would switch me to a pill at my 4 week check-up. Has anyone else done this and were you happy with it ? I am wondering if staying on the cream is better since the pill has to go through your whole system. My Dr. said pills are less expensive, if not that much difference I think I would like to stick with what is working.
Once again thank you for the support..........I wish you all a speedy recovery. For those of you who have recovered and are happy and healthy, Thank You for your continued support and hope you give to us newbies ........ Robin

P.S. Not sure how to post date of surgery, type etc..... I had surgery on 5-3-05 Thanks once again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register