Ovarian cysts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian cysts Ovarian cysts

Unread 05-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Ovarian cysts

I'm scheduled to see the gyn oncologist next week that will assist my gyn/ob in what will probably be a complete hysterectomy with an open incision due to complex ovarian cysts. It was supposed to be a d/c, ablation and a lap biopsy of the ovaries, but due to the increased size and additional cysts, the gyn has recommended a hysterectomy. I'm scared spitless now that it might be ovarian cancer. The surgery has been tentatively scheduled for June 9, but I won't know for sure until my appointment with the oncologist on Tuesday. Is it normal to have an oncologist assist or is it true indication that she thinks it could be cancerous? Due to a staph infection I had after a previous surgery in the same area, there is the possibility of the new wound not healing properly also. I'm 42 and I'm premenopausal, so HRT will be needed. Is that started immediately after surgery? I have tons of questions and everything I read just scares me more. Has anybody here had some of the same experiences? I also have a lot of scar tissue involved and I've never had natural childbirth. HELP?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Ovarian cysts

s Greeneyz1963

I'm so sorry to hear you have to have a hyst, but am very happy to see you are having a gyn/onc stand by. This does not mean your Dr. thinks you have cancer for sure. The best Dr. is the one that takes a proactive stance. In the event, cancer is even a remote possibility, a gyn/onc should always be present.

Did you have a CA125 done? By open incision, did they mean a vertical incision?

You need to discuss HRT with your Dr prior to surgery. I failed to do that because I was in such a tizzy, and next thing I know, I'm getting an injection of Provera in the recovery room. I stayed on it for 9 months, and am now weanng myself off of it. The studies are just too scary for HRT and a cancer diagnosis. My gyn/onc feels that it is a quality of life issue and that the studies aren't as valid as most think they are. So, very important to discuss HRT prior to surgery. I was 40 when I had my hyst, and 43 when I had my debulking/BSO surgery.

I know how scary this can all be. That's why this message board is so great. Someone here has been thru the same thing. Please ask all of the questions you want. We are here for you and will always leave the on.

Unread 05-29-2005, 09:55 PM
Ovarian cysts

I won't know about the incision until later. I've had 4 bikini line incisions so there is some scar tissue to deal with there. I also developed a staph infection from a previous surgery and had to be re-opened. There is concern that the incision this time might not heal properly. I don't want to spend the next 6 months packing a wound, but I would prefer an open incision if it is indeed cancer.

They have not done a CA125 and I'm not sure if they plan on it. From what I've read it might produce a false positive since I'm premenopausal?

I really just want them to get everything out as soon as possible. I don't want to spend any more time worrying about what it might be, I would rather know what it is, good or bad. If it's bad, then let the treatment begin.

I work for a wonderful company, and my boss is incredible and very understanding. I can take as much time off as I need to, or work when I feel like it. There will be a lot of phone calls and emails, but between my boss and my assistant, both men, work will carry on. I'll be the one that's freaking about it.

I have complex cysts on both ovaries, and from what I can figure out, I don't have much of a choice but to have a hyst. One has doubled in size in the past 14 weeks and another one has popped up on the opposite ovary the same size.

I'm rambling, so I'll stop now. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Ovarian cysts

I sure can understand your sense of urgency. I was so desperate to get my ovarian mass removed, I would have allowed our vet to do it (kidding!).

I had one bikini line incision to deal with, so no problems. Most gyn/onc's do a vertical incision. In the event it is ca, they want the entire abdomen to be open for visual inspection. I hope this incision heals well for you. I'm sure wound packing is not fun.

My CA125 was over 2000 before surgery (normal is less than 35). I was also perimenopausal. However, you are right, the C125 is not a very good marker for everyone. I am very sensitive to it, so it has been good for me.

I am an HR Mgr. at a large mfg. company. My boss and the company were also wonderful to me. It means so much not to have to worry about work during your recovery time.

Again, I will be thinking of ya...hang in there.

Unread 05-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Ovarian cysts

Hi Greeneyz1963

Awww, you poor thing. I can certainly see how plans changing from D&C, ablation and laparoscopic ovarian biopsies to now a possible abdominal hyst with an oncologist assisting would be scary changes.

My “larger than what we usually see” complex ovarian cyst was made known to me by the tech doing my u/s. I can’t tell you how many times I Googled for info, often rereading the same literature again and again, worrying more each time. When I finally saw my doc he reassured me the odds were in my favor. The vast majority of ovarian cysts are not cancerous. Cysts are much less likely to be malignant than solid tumors, but it can happen.

Mine turned out to be a large endometrioma. I was discovered to have severe endometriosis, so both ovaries were taken ~ an event I hadn’t planned on, but I know it was necessary.

I hope you get some reassuring news at your appt. Tuesday. Let us know what you find out and how they decide to proceed. Hang in there, dear.
I’ll keep you in my prayers.

s,
Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register