Exercise, Returning to "Life", and Pain Mgmt after LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercise, Returning to "Life", and Pain Mgmt after LAVH Exercise, Returning to "Life", and Pain Mgmt after LAVH

Unread 05-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Exercise, Returning to "Life", and Pain Mgmt after LAVH

Hi all,

New to the site-which I think is awesome! Thanks for the wisdom and advice!

I am to have an LAVH in July and have a couple of questions. Every where I find articles on line, the post-op seems the same for ab and vag surgery. For those who've had the LAVH, how long before you could drive? What about housework and the like? How long before exercising?

Also, how was pain management? How did you best get along after surgery? Iboprofen or the heavy guns ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2005, 08:25 PM
LAVH/bladder repairs

I had a LAVH with bladder repairs/sling on February 7th. Ended up with a 4 day hospital stay due to blood loss during surgery causing complications. I didn't drive until a little after 4 weeks post-op. Also started taking short walks around that time. As far as housekeeping, I put away dishes after light meals (while hubby was at work) but didn't start doing any other housework until the 6 week mark. Vacuuming wasn't until about 8-9 weeks. I experienced a lot of pain, so I was taking Vicodin (2) with Ibuprofen pretty routinely until 4 weeks post op. Then slowly started decreasing and only taking if I did a bit much. My recovery was a bit complicated, so if you are looking for comparisons hopefully this will be worst case scenario for you. Some of the complications were because I came home with a catheter for almost 4 weeks post-op and couldn't void, had multiple urinary tract infections, and ended up back at hospital at 3 1/2 weeks post op because I split a stitch and ended up hemmoraging. I'm now 15 weeks post-op and have been walking everyday and starting to feel stronger. It's been a slow recovery for me, but most of my complications were related to the bladder repairs. Hopefully some will come along that had uncomplicated recovery and give you some ideas about their experiences.

Best wishes with your surgery. Will see you on the other side!

jmw
Unread 05-29-2005, 08:37 PM

WOW JMW you had it rough. I just got home from the hosp this am.. I was in two days with a LAVH.. took the cervix left the ovaries and he said I had way more tumors than he thought.. in fact he said my uterus looked like Micky Mouse when he pulled it out! It had two Huge ears on top along with the lemon sized ones and others in the inside.. but he got it all out vaginally and I feel very good. I asked them to disconnect the Morphine pump at about 10pm the first night cause I didnt have any pain and I was Very nautious. Since then I have been taking a Darvocet every once in a while just in case.. and they were giving me Toridol (sp) in the Hosp which from what they say is a very strong IV anti-inflammatory. I dont hurt at all from the surgery.. I'm uncomfortable from the bloating and such and VERY tired and out of it.. but I am alone and taking care of all my animals and myself and just resting. Pain wise this is much easier than any shoulder surgery or knee surgery I have ever had.. I have a slight bleeding discharge that the Doc says will go away in a few days.. but besides the bloating and rumbling tummy I am good. Gotta go back and lie down but thought you might like another case. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2005, 09:23 PM

I had my LAVH on 4-13 but no repairs. I was home in 24 hours. I had a few returns to the castle but not related to the surgery . Be pateint and let your body rest , i went back to work at weeks 5 my job is very demanding lots of lifting so i waited . I am almost 7 weeks and i feel great . Its like i never had surgery . I have so much more energy than i did before but i do still tire from time to time . i was off my meds 2 days home . Its just depends on you . I will say sleep was the worst for me due to the fact tham im a tummy sleeper. If you have any more questions you can email me and i will let ya know more . Good luck to you and dont let the anticipation ge the best of ya . That was the worst part for me but now i look back and laugh ..... silly me !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register