"Piece of Cake" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"Piece of Cake" "Piece of Cake"

Unread 05-30-2005, 07:15 PM
"Piece of Cake"

Okay, we went to BBQ gathering today. Almost everybody there seemed to know somebody that has been through this surgery. I had two different women tell me, "Oh, piece of cake". One women even went on and made the comment how because of further advances in the Medical field, this surgery is so much easier than years ago. She was also surprised when I told her that my DR, said eight weeks to recover. She then stated that some DR's drag this out! And I quote, " You won't need that much time, 2-3 weeks that's it. I did'nt even argue with her, I knew it was pointless. Later I heard my husband discussing with her about all the preperation that we have made in the last few days for this surgery. She made the same type of comments to him about, it just not that big of a deal. I was so proud of my husband when he stated to her, that it really is major surgery and will greatly impact me and my family for awhile. He also told her that I will be having a great deal on internal stitches because they are removing at least 1 organ, maybe more, and this would require rest to heal correctly. I was just surprised how some other women just took this like no big deal, and could not imagine it taking so long to heal. Maybe I am just being over sensitive, because my date is so close. But I really rather not have some one who has not been through this, so causualy say, "Piece of Cake". Am I wrong?? Okay I guess I am venting. Well at least after this surgery my monthly visit from "Aunt Flo" Will be a, "Piece of Cake", since I won't be having it anymore!!*punch*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2005, 07:19 PM
"Piece of Cake"

Depending on what type of surgery you have, it can be anywheres from a few weeks to several. I will be six weeks tomorrow and still have pain, tenderness, fatigue like you wouldn't beleive and other stuff going on.

You are not being over sensitive--she is being INSENSITIVE!! Go ahead and pop her one!! Best of luck with your surgery and keep us posted.
Unread 05-30-2005, 07:57 PM
"Piece of Cake"

I'm hearing the same thing from my mother and sister, my major support system. Mom had the surgery 30-plus years ago, my sister has never had these problems. Time is a wonderful thing because of according to Mom she had NO PAIN whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2005, 09:11 PM
"Piece of Cake"

I think a lot of times people say stuff like that because a) they want to put you at ease, and b) they just don't know what else to say.

Extra s to your dh for supporting you.

I could supply you with a snappy comeback, I suppose... but I don't really think that's what you're looking for, and I always feel worse, not better, when I give someone a zinger after they have hurt me. I guess if you're wondering what I would do in your situation, I'd probably deadpan back something like, "Well, I'm going to follow my doctor's instructions to the letter, and my doctor is telling me it'll be 8 weeks before I'll be back into the swing of things. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess."

You did the right thing by not arguing with that lady, too. Here's some extra : for you, too. Take care.
Unread 05-30-2005, 09:27 PM
"Piece of Cake"

I am nearly 4 weeks out from a LSH and I had a huge fibroid uterus with another grapefruit sized fibroid growing on the top, and my surgeon feels (and I agree) that I should become his "poster child" . That said, although I have had what I feel has been a really great recovery,but any way you do this. This is not a " piece of cake" I'm glad your DH is supportive and understanding of what is gong on. Mine is usually great but sort of spooked on me this time, but I'm very independant and surgery as an outpatient, and I think he would have been much more helpful the first 3 or 4 days when I actually needed him to be, but I think I really didn't do a good job of explaining my needs to him. It sounds like you have DH on board, As for the rest, let them go fly a kite! I can honestly say that the waiting was the worst part. DH claimed I looked better 1 hr post op , he claims the "stressed look" I had had for months was gone.Have a safe and uneventful surgery and recovery.
Unread 05-30-2005, 09:43 PM
"Piece of Cake"

A piece of cake is enjoyable, an TAH is not!!! I am 8 weeks out and doing pretty good, but today after gardening I hurt bad. I am happy your dh realizes that this is a serious surgery, that will make recovery easier on you. Good luck!!
Unread 05-31-2005, 07:18 AM
"Piece of Cake"

I don't think people realize the extra amount of recovery you will need from the a&p support in addition to the hyst. - that will make walking and sitting uncomfortable for a while - just remember don't lift anything and take it easy. I will be thinking about you and wishing you Good Luck in your surgery.
Unread 05-31-2005, 07:32 AM
"Piece of Cake"

Oh, and speaking of a & p repairs, when you have this done along with the sling and hysterectomy, is your recovery really that much harder? My dr. told me that my hysterectomy will only take an hour and the a & p repairs will take about another 4. Seems like an awful long time just to hoist things back into place. I have a friend who had a hysterectomy years ago, and the day after she came out of the hospital, she walked her usual 2 miles. (Course, she's skin & bone and in great shape). Another friend had all the same repairs done that I'm going to have - years ago- and the mesh all let loose and she had to have surgery all over again and has had trouble ever since. I'm starting to wonder what I'm getting myself into!!! Thanks for letting me vent. Always feels good to talk with you gals.
Unread 05-31-2005, 07:56 AM
"Piece of Cake"

It's interesting how many people who haven't had the surgery think it's a piece of cake...those who have had it, don't think it is. I was met with the same sort of comments from women who didn't know what the hyster entailed. Honestly, I didn't know what it entailed either until I actually did research on it before my surgery...I was surprised how major it really is.

What I have told people since my surgery is I had a MAJOR organ removed from my body and that's a big deal! And...if anyone has any doubts to how major it was, I just show them my 7 inch vertical scar. That usually makes them pause and say "Wow."

It's a big deal...don't let anyone tell you otherwise! I have had a relatively uneventful recovery, but my body has been through something major and it needs to recover. I'm glad your DH is very supportive and on your side. I'm sure that helps!

Best wishes with your surgery! Think positive thoughts and it will be okay!!!
Unread 05-31-2005, 08:21 AM
"Piece of Cake"

Hi Happy,

I had TAH/BSO six weeks ago. I was in excellent fitness dispite having bad uterine disease. It wasn't exactly a piece of cake, but it was as you'd expect surgery to be, with post op soreness worst on the second day. I used a subliminal recording for surgical healing pre and post op and liked that alot. In hindsight I feel so darn much better now, it was well worth the few weeks of pain/discomfort. Actually I'm shocked now to realize how bad I was feeling for so long with uterine disease slowly stealing my quality of life. Bravery is worth it! Psychological preparedness is too, as is trying to build up your muscle strength as upper body strength comes in mighty handy when you will be working your way in and out of bed. All in all, I wouldn't say it was a cake walk, but my life now charged with health is a cake walk. I also went on HRT at the time of surgery and think that worked well for me, not having to do healing and surgical menopause at the same time was good for me, but I didn't have endometriosis-yet. Love Noom

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register