New Pain - Docs Aren't Helping!!! GRRR | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Pain - Docs Aren't Helping!!! GRRR New Pain - Docs Aren't Helping!!! GRRR

Unread 05-31-2005, 11:54 AM
New Pain - Docs Aren't Helping!!! GRRR

:hair: I am sooo frustrated. I have been seeing my PM doctor for about 5 months now. Things have been going really well until about 3-4 weeks ago, I started to notice that I was having a lot more pain in my LLQuad. (About where my ovary would be - if I still had one.) It started out as mild discomfort - and is now extreemly painful. To the point that I walk differently to "baby" it. I had an appointment with my PM doc last week, which was an already scheduled follow up, and I told her about it. She up'd my dose of Topamax from 100 mg a day to 150 mg a day. It isn't even phasing me. The pain is just intensifying. I called my primary (which is my Gyn - and the surgeon that has done ALL of my surgeries) this morning to tell her what was going on and tell her that something was going on, and that I needed her to please do something. They finally called me back and told me that they couldn't do anything because I was seeing the PM doctor, and that I had to go through them. I told her that I had already talked to the PM doctor last week, and that she just changed my dosage of meds and that it hadn't helped. She just advised me to call her back. I'm confused. I know what my CPP feels like. And I know what my pain from my adhesions feels like. This isn't it. And I told my PCP's nurse that too. She said she understood, but that there really wasn't anything more she could do. So now what? I call my PM doc...she keeps changing the dosage of my pain medicine - and MAYBE the pain will go away and mask whatever is hurting so bad. But I can FEEL something. I know that something is wrong. I don't know what it is, but I know it's something different. I think it's another big cyst. But I've already been told that I can't have any more surgery unless my bladder is involved. (I don't think it is) But if by being in PM means I can't be treated by my PCP - I'm not so sure that I'm happy about being in PM. How is that fixing my problem???? I'm so angry! And sooo frustrated. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions??? Words of advice???

Thanks,
Cortney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2005, 07:28 PM

Oh ((((Cortney)))) I'm so sorry you're in so much pain And it's frustrating when we can't get doctors we trust to help us.

I'm not under the care of a PM doctor, but it is my understanding that, once you're in pain management, you normally have to work through your pain management doctor: something to do with the pain meds and ensuring that you are not taking too many meds or something that could adversely interact.

Why not give your pain management doctor a call and try to work something out, possibly with both your gyn and your pain doctor?

Lots of s are going your way. Please do keep us posted.
Unread 06-01-2005, 10:52 AM

Cortney,
I'm so sorry to hear that your pain has worsened. I am in pain management, and also have a family doc and a gyn doc. No one has ever refused me treatment or examination because I am in pain mgmt. Now, I wouldn't expect them to prescribe me any pain meds, but I would certainly expect an exam and/or tests should my pain change or a new problem pop up.

I don't understand why your family doc won't at least see you to examine you and perhaps order some tests. Things can change over time and the pain you're having now may not be related to your previous pain. It may be, but it may not be. The only way to know for sure is for the doctor to see you.

Is there a chance that maybe the person who you talked to at your family doc's office misunderstood what you were asking for? Maybe calling the pain doctor back and asking for them to call your family doctor?

I hope that you can get someone to listen. If all else fails and the pain continues to worsen, maybe you should go to the ER.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2005, 01:12 PM

Cortney:

I am not in PM.

When I saw your post I thought ... what? This seems odd to me.

IMHO, a caring doctor would see you, find out what your concerns are and then make a decision about the next step. Obviously, you would not have called for help unless you felt strongly that you needed it. Good doctors see their patients, evaluate them and then make decisions. That's pretty basic stuff, again in my opinion.

Do you have any other doctor to call to be evaluated? I fully understand no other doc can give you pain meds as I am sure you do. I would not think your PM would want to be responsible for all of your care.

I agree that you should call the PMs office, let them know what's going on and have THEM call the GP and schedule an appointment for you. Yes, they should do that for you.

Keep us posted. We do care.

s sweetie!
Unread 06-01-2005, 01:50 PM

Courtney,
I hate to hear that you are in such pain. I had a similar situation a couple years ago. After I finally got a MD's full attention, he found that I had a stapled remnant of my ovary (in the same place as it was before the TAH) that became cystic. It was so painful he had to surgery to remove it. It was just like have ovaries again; it cycled, grew cysts, etc. Just something to consider......Good Luck!
Unread 06-01-2005, 03:33 PM

Ladies,

Thank you all for your kind words and responses. I talked to the nurse in my PM office three times yesterday. They called in a Rx for Ultracet which is really helping with the pain. (THANK GOODNESS!!!!) They were really kind and helpful. I was not so kind. At least not at first. I know I shouldn't be like that, but I get so irritated. It's so easy for them - they aren't the ones that feel like they have a hot knife ran through their abdomen! (the nurse made the mistake of telling me that I'd have to wait another day before I would be able to get any sort of meds - I told her I had already waited a week for the others to work, and then I had waited all day for them to call me back, and I was tired of waiting. I needed someone to help me NOW.) I'm not usually unkind to people. But I was to the point yesterday that I needed someone to help me. I'm feeling much better today. A little drugged, but better. And I like that the medication is not a narcotic. I also talked to my PCP's office. I told them that I did not want Pain meds from them...that was not my intention for calling them. I understood that I could not get that from them when I signed my contract with my PM doc. I just wanted someone to do something. They told me that I could come in for a visit, and/or they would order an Ultrasound to see what was going on. Now that I'm feeling better, I may take them up on the Ultrasound - yesterday the thought of them pushing the transducer against my abdomen probably would have landed someone in a hospital bed!!! :confuse:

I really like my doctor - and her staff. We've been through a lot together. But I think they just feel like we are at a stand still. And I'm frustrated by that. They are willing to see me - and to treat me - but have already told me - no more surgery. Unless it's an emergency. (Hence the Pain Mgmt.) So even if I do have cysts, there is really nothing that I can do about it. And that is exactly what my PM doc told me yesterday. That there is a very good possibility that I am having a "flare up" of cysts, but that I will just have to ride it out, and she will just help me control the pain. The prospect of that scares the hell out of me.

I'm so very tired of all of this. I know you all go through this too. (the exasperation and the weariness) I'm thankful that nobody else in my family/friends has to go through all of this, because nobody should have to live like this - but until I found you guys, I was doing it alone. I'm very thankful for your love and support. You're all the best.

s
Cortney
Unread 06-01-2005, 04:09 PM

Cortney
I am glad that the doc's pulled through for you and are trying to help now. I do know how frustrating it can be trying to find answers, wanting to know the cause and just wanting the pain to stop.

IMHO I would take the doc up on the Ultrasound. I think it is best to err on the side of caution. Even if it is a cyst, at least you will know for sure. If it's not, than you will know that too. Guessing what it might be can drive you crazy.

Unread 06-21-2005, 10:13 AM

I finally had the ultrasound last Thursday (the 16th) - a nurse from my doctors office just called me back. She said (in a very chipper sunshiney voice) that "the US was clear so everything is OK " AAAGGGHHH :hair: I told her that no, everything really wasn't ok, because I was still in a lot of pain....and I still had no answers. She said, (still in her chipper voice) well, the doctor didn't say that she wanted to do anything else, so I don't know what to tell you. Mind you, this is not one of her regular nurses, but I still wanted to jump through the phone and choke this woman. I am normally a very kind, reserved person.......but I am so tired of this!!! I WANT ANSWERS! I hate having to drug myself everyday just to be able to sit at my desk. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have a sit down job.

Ok, I'm done venting. Thanks ladies.

s
Cortney
Unread 06-21-2005, 08:10 PM

((((Cortney)))) I think that your doctor is related to mine: just because the tests are clear, she thinks that there is no need to keep looking for the source of the pain

Have you booked an appointment with her? That's what I do and then I force her schedule other tests. So far, none of them have showed anything (I have all kinds of pains in my muscles and bones), but I'm not ready to just give up and live with

Hopefully, you'll be able to convince your doctor to keep looking for answers. Even better: now may be the right time to change doctor (that's not an option for me, as we have a dire situation of lack of doctors).

I send lots of s your way and hope that you get answers soon.
Unread 06-22-2005, 08:17 AM

Cortney:

This would aggravate a saint! Its not unkind to demand quality care, BTW.

I agree with ((((Dany)))), there's got to be a kind, compassionate, brilliant doctor somewhere in Indiana that can help you! I have a fabulous doctor, that while he is not afraid to say he doesn't know, he never stops trying to find a way to help. If I could replicate him, I would (cloning would take WAY too long). My point is, there are some really fab doctors out there, you just have to find them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register