any body had a rectocele? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

any body had a rectocele? any body had a rectocele?

Unread 06-09-2005, 01:55 PM
any body had a rectocele?

I too have been "living with" a rectocele and am ready for a fix. I'm really scared too becaused I've heard it is really painful. I just hope it's not as bad as the hysterectomy. If it's not as bad as that I'll be o.k. with it. I don't think I could bare to be in as much pain as I was with my hysterectomy!!! :hair:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2005, 08:22 PM

I probably had one of the more painful experiences with my rectocele repair, and I have to say it was still worth getting it fixed. Not everyone experiences a lot of pain, and there are ways to reduce the pain if you're careful. For me, the worst of it was over within a week, and since I was on drugs most of that time it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I only had two times during recovery when the pain got the better of me, and both could have been avoided if I'd stayed off my feet, used ice and taken my pain medication on time.
Unread 06-10-2005, 05:27 AM

So explain to me by what you mean about "being careful"? What is the recovery actually like. I really need to know the details.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2005, 08:14 AM

Hi
it's me again having another bad day the rectocele is huge and constantly trying to escape .
Tried ringing hospital today as this is getting really uncomfortable, am supposed to be on urgent list imagine my horror when told they hadn't recieved new referral letter from gp I don't know whether to laugh or cry i just wish someone could get there facts straight and sort this mess out its alright for them there not the one walking arround with there innards in side out.
Any body had any brain waves about making rectoceles stay in ?
how long did you go from diagnosis to surgery? I'm currently about 20 weeks and counting .sorry to moan don't know who else to ask!
Unread 06-10-2005, 09:28 AM

"Being careful" meant following the doctors orders. Bed rest really meant bed rest! Typically with abdominal surgery (I had my TVH at the same time) they recommend you get up and walk around. For me, and especially for the first five days, walking made the swelling and pain much worse. Ice helped a lot, and it was very important to take my pain meds on time.

After that first week I was feeling pretty good except that I couldn't sit, bend or lift anything. I wasn't supposed to do any housework, but I cleaned the kitchen counters every single day several TIMES a day just because they were the perfect height and I was bored. I folded laundry that someone else washed for me. I pruned my kiwis back a foot at a time (no bending or stretching) and just left all the prunings laying for someone else to pick up.

It's been seven months now and I can do just about everything I was able to do before I had the rectocele. I feel great! I was nervous about surgery too, but I really didn't want to have that rectocele any more either. Plus, not everyone has the same experience after this surgery. You may be one of the lucky ones who has very little discomfort.

For lindamarion, I started having trouble with the rectocele probably a year and a half before I had surgery. However, I didn't know that's what I had, and just thought it was part of getting older. I was actually kind of glad there was something wrong and that it was repairable!
Unread 06-10-2005, 06:51 PM

Aww, I wish you weren't so scared. I'm so happy with my results to date, in that the pain, while there, is minimal compared to what I'd been expecting. My op was 2 weeks and 3 days ago and my stitches site (kind of at the bottom of the vagina) are still tender but I find that each day that passes, I can sleep in the position I prefer most ... on my side, almost on my front and with the top leg bent up towards my chest. At first, I wasn't able to do that very comfortable because of pulling on the stitches. I'm also able to sit more comfortably due to lessening of the stitches pain. I haven't used ice at all, mostly because it's been impractical ... I've been staying with in-law's, and now that I'm back home, in a much colder environment, it wouldn't feel too good.

As mentioned by someone previously, I thought alot of MY symptoms were as a result of something other than the rectocele. I knew I HAD the prolapse, but discounted alot of my symptoms, thinking they were my own fault, due to weight gain and lack of exercise. Less than a week post-op, I was thrilled to realise that the lower back discomfort and dragging sensation were not there anymore!

Please! Just keep looking forward to your surgery. Don't dread it! You already have complaints about the way you feel, and your quality of life, a few weeks of post-op recovery will be NOTHING in comparison to the long-term symptomatic misery you are experiencing. And the outlook will be far brighter than you can even imagine now.

I have no solutions to your questions about how to deal with the rectocele right now as mine probably wasn't as bad as yours. But "keep the faith", and remind yourself that all this will be a distant memory soon enough .

Gina.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register