It has been a long time!! I am BACK more problems.. Adhesions and bowel probs..HELP. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It has been a long time!! I am BACK more problems.. Adhesions and bowel probs..HELP. It has been a long time!! I am BACK more problems.. Adhesions and bowel probs..HELP.

Unread 06-05-2005, 01:59 PM
It has been a long time!! I am BACK more problems.. Adhesions and bowel probs..HELP.

Hi Ladies,

Sorry you all have to be spending your time posting such stories.

I have similar problems from an overagressive surgeon who decided to
"reconstruct" my pelvic region into something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. My lower back hurts and I have to do kegels all morning to get my bowels moving, and if that doesn't work, I am miserable all day. The motility is gone.

Lucille's comments about nerve damage is something to consider. The pelvic nerves help to control everything from our bowels to how tight the vagina is.
I am on a waiting list to see someone about checking into that possibility.

Thanks for sharing, it is nice to not go through this alone.

Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2005, 11:34 PM
It has been a long time!! I am BACK more problems.. Adhesions and bowel probs..HELP.

This is all so overwhelming and comforting at the same time. It's nice to know I am not the only one dealing with the bowel problems. I am experienced the lower back pain and the pulling sensations when I sneeze. The only time I feel I completely empty my bowels is if I run regularly, otherwise it just builds up. I don't ever have feelings of constipation, but I would use laxitives every 4-6 weeks as maintanence. I have been hospitalized several times for small bowel obstruction, the first time I vomited for 4 days as I refused the NG tube (is that thing not the worst?!)until they could tell me exactly what was happening with me. Ironically, the NG tube is the only thing so far that works to relieve the pressure and let my bowel correct itself, but I have refused additional operations as I would rather deal with the original problems than create new ones.
But now I have been experiencing constant pelvic pressure, like there are ropes pulling my hip bones and my pelvis is about to implode. Anything I eat, I am immediatly distended and it will take days for it to pass through. I read a medical report published by Boston Childrens Hospital that they accidentally discovered using Celebrex or Vioxx on a post op patient immediatly following surgery for 10 days nearly eliminated adhesions forming at all. After reading that, I am almost ready to climb on the table again.
As a massage therapist I am always searching out alternative therapies, ie colonics, deep tissue, wheat grass juice, acupuncture, etc. I think that is why I have been able to keep the additional operations at bay for the past 10 years. But there are no absolutes and I believe there are correct tools to be used at correct times.
Have you looked into any alternative therapies in addition to the traditional Dr.s?
Unread 06-10-2005, 08:08 AM

((((Pam05))))) were you ((((Pam01)))) before? If so, I had been wondering for the longest what became of you.

In any case, I am truly sorry you are not getting support from your DH. It might not seem like it now, but sometimes we are better off alone than with a person who is unsupportive. Just know that its not your fault you are sick and if DH can't handle it, I am sorry for him, too. All relationships have their bumps and he is likely to have problems no matter who he is with if he can't work out issues.

Well, a big for you, darlin!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2005, 08:41 AM
bowel problems

Yes, I have read everything I can get my hands on. I am very
careful about what I eat, if I eat one thing during the day that
may not be compatible with my bowel situation I'm doomed, even
though I've eaten really well the rest of the day. My husband was
on a 2 week trip recently and had to eat out a lot, and became
constipated, ate an apple it straightened out the whole thing with
1 apple. Can't relate! But I am sure that my colon is piled up at the bottom and it just takes forever to go on thru, and it is better
when everything just goes thru without slowing down at all. There are just times you can't eat what you need to, like special
occasions, when you want to eat out, and sometimes you are
just starving! Sometimes you just crave a hamburger, I don't
think that would ever go thru. Even if things are moving I have
pain about 15 minutes later and it last all day,sometimes it gets
better after dinner when things change in there. I am sure there is an adhesion
on the vaginal cuff to to the bowel. The only time I don't have pain
is if I don't have a BM at all, but then you know there will be
hell-to-pay when I do. Anyway I am going to schedule an apptm.
with another bowel DR. soon. This DR. thing gets so old, and you
know there will be more disgusting tests, with know real hope.
I am like you I don't want any more surgery's unless someone
can really give me some assurance of resolution. I guess if we
live long enough there will be help. I am very health oriented and
do seek out natural ways to improve things, but I think things
are all out of alignment in there, and until that can be fixed there is going to be a problem. By-the-way I am a dental assistant in a pediatric clinic at the Health Department, it takes
a lot to stay on top of things working with children in a dental
setting. And I have drove all the nurses there crazy asking questons about this condition. Please stay in touch, and let me
know if you discover anything, and I'll do the same.
Unread 06-10-2005, 09:29 AM
bowel problems

Thanks for the posts michelle. I just don't think the DR.s know
what to do, they have so many patients, and so little time, and
they get so burned out, and of course they are unsure if we know
what we are talking about. I feel like I am very articulate about
my symptoms and discriptions, but they don't know that, they see
so many nuts out there, I just happened not to be one of those,
ha ha. Well I do still have a little sense of humor left. I meant to
say something about the anti-inflammatory's, Celebrix and Vioxx.
I have volumes of pages on adhesions and many other related
conditions, and in my research, there was some talk about using
those types of those drugs. Some people have a hyper immune system, and just over does the healing process.
People prone to allergies are probably more suseptible to adhesions. When I mentioned it to the Dr. he blewed it off, but
it does make a lot of sense to me.
And, no, I am not pam05, but I was registered as SLT on my
computer at work, and I've just come back on my home computer.
I just keep hoping someone out there will have an answer, maybe
with all our heads put together we can find some answers. Thanks for all your posts, I know it takes time to answer, but it
really helps to have the info, and comarada. Thanks
Unread 06-10-2005, 09:48 AM
bowels

Update on my last post. Sorry Michelle, I just realized you were
replying to the other post, I had not noticed the other name.
Unread 06-10-2005, 10:39 AM
BM problems w/adhesions

HI Pam, I had suffered with adhesions before my hyst and suffered w/ the pain for quite a while my doc was trying to figure out what was wrong w/ me.and I had bm problems as well. and like you I did not feel constipated just was'nt going regularly for me twice a week was good. well I had a lap done in Dec so my doc could see what the problem was and when he did the lap he found many adhesions from 4 previous surgerys and he also found that I had some adhesions pulling my bowels down. and that was the reason that I was not having regular bm's. and I am not a doc or anything just speaking from my own experience but the reason you could be having such a problem w/ bm's is that some of your adhesions could be pulling on the bowels just like in my case.and now I am a little over 6wks post TAH/LSO due to recuring cysts on my left ovary and adeno that was not found until the path report came back after surgery.felling pretty good right now and not sure if I will get more adhesions in the future . I am sure that I will since my hyst was my 6th surgery. and I know that each time you have surgery you run the risk of more adhesions. but I can say that if the pain gets as bad as it was before I would have another lap to get rid of the pain for even a little while. I hope this helps you. and I hope you get to feeling better soon. Take Care, Cathy
Unread 06-10-2005, 01:39 PM

It seems to me that sometimes the doctors are too quick to blame adhesions without more thorough testing. When the uterus is removed, the bowels fall down into the cavity and sometimes this makes it harder for the BM to move through. Also, I believe, the loss of hormones that aid in digestion and bowel and bladder function are not taken into consideration as much as they should be.

I am soooo grateful to the doctor who advised me AGAINST more surgery and talked me into trying the natural, bio-identical hormones first. All the ones who wanted to operate just rolled their eyes at him, but as it turned out, he was right and I got MUCH relief from these symptoms. I'm certainly not as good as I was before the TAH/BSO but it has made a world of difference for me.

Good luck to all of you.
Unread 06-10-2005, 02:53 PM
bowel problems

Lucille, I have come to those exact conclusions! As a matter of
fact I have an apptm. with a nurse practioner in July to help do
the bio-identicals. I've talked to a pharmacist who has been
compounding hormones for a while now, and I am sure he has
gotten a lot of feed back from the professionals who are working
with hormones. I am also sure my bowels are down in that little
culdesac where the uterus used be, and the bowels are bent like
a hose. My vagina right now is killing me, it feels like there is a
yeast infection in there but the wet mount showed only a little
yeast and the culture showed nothing. I think the nerves in there
are being aggravated from the inside at the cuff. Anyway I have
been in agony the last 2 days, and I was in tears while folding
clothes, which is close to my computer and I decided to check my
e-mail. Thank you so much for posting. I feel some hope now,
and looking forwarding to my apptm. in July. How long did it take the hormones to help you? Are they in a creme, or pill?
Please be in touch if you learn anything else. Thanks again Susan
Unread 06-11-2005, 11:04 AM
WOW. You all are amazing!!!!!

First... HI MICHELLE!!!!!! YES I am PAM01 and I will pm you when I get a chance to catch up.. I sure have missed ya sweetie!

I just got the CT scan results back from the General Surgeon and they showed "Unremarkable" results. DUH!!!!! Like adhesions would even show up anyway as a few of you said in earlier replies... I have been having alot of BM's since it takes 3 days to have the same ONE. I go in the back yard and do what my son now calls my poopy dance. I have to lean over my lawn chair and move around until I feel it in my rectum and the pain in the back of my legs gets so bad I know I have to go. I am so sorry that so many of you are going through such similar things. My heart goes out to you and I will be praying that you all can find some sort of resolution to your problems. Heck, I have been dealing with medical problems for so long I dont think I would know how to go a day in a normal healthy body. Maybe one day I will have the chance to experience what it is like!!

I will be going back to my GYN to have him do the lap since I dont trust this general surgeon as far as I can throw him!!!
The only reason the Gyn sent me to him in the first place was that he was afraid my bowels were wrapped in adhesions and he would have to call the GS in anyway.

I also had my appt with a Rehabilitation Therapist for my low back and FINALLY have some hope besides living life on pain meds until I die!! I am having 2 more epidural steriod injections and going to go through a month, 3 times a week of physical therapy. (WHICH, by the way, is another reason I need the adhesions removed or loosened) Then I will have 1 more injection and HOPEFULLY, by the good grace of God the therapy will work and I can continue with it. If not I will have to have a very painful proceedure called a discogram(I think) to make sure the 2 discs are the bad ones and be sent for a spinal fusion surgery.

I pray it does not go that far, but at least I have a plan and not just a big brick wall!

I love you all !!!Pam

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register