It has been a long time!! I am BACK more problems.. Adhesions and bowel probs..HELP. - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It has been a long time!! I am BACK more problems.. Adhesions and bowel probs..HELP. It has been a long time!! I am BACK more problems.. Adhesions and bowel probs..HELP.

Unread 06-11-2005, 11:20 AM
It has been a long time!! I am BACK more problems.. Adhesions and bowel probs..HELP.

HI Pam, I am glad that you are going to go back to the GYN. because like I said in my earlier post I ahd the ultrsounds, CT Scan, and MRI and none of those tests showed my adhesions. after a while of the pain meds not working and the pain getting worse then my doc suspected adhesions but did not know the extent of the problem until he did the lap. and eventhough I know that having the adhesions removed can cause more to form but if I have to go through it again in the future I will do it again . cause for me living a life in pain and on pain meds is really not living. I wish you luck and hope you can start living a pain free life. Take care and keep us posted please, Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2005, 08:54 PM
It has been a long time!! I am BACK more problems.. Adhesions and bowel probs..HELP.

slt, the burning vaginal pain is most likely from vaginal atrophy and should improve within a few weeks. They started me off with Vagifem in a tablet that you insert in the vagina with an applicator that resembles a tiny tampon inserter. I was so atrophied that I had to use these daily for a few weeks until the bio-identical cremes (biestrogens) had time to get absorbed and work their magic.

Mentally, I felt better within 24 hours (as our cognitive abilities are also effected by our ovarian hormones) but the bowel improvement, bladder and digestive benefits took a few months to really improve. This was gradual, but the final results have been amazing!

For a year and half, all I got from doctors was "no, your hormones can't be the cause," it's probably "adhesions" or "depression" (nevermind that was never a problem for me before surgery) but as I now know, they were wrong! I knew I had finally found the doctor for me when I asked him if he thought hormones (lack of) could be my problem and his answer was "ABSOLUTELY YES!"

All I can say is while it may not be the solution for you or even the cause of your problems, I certainly wouldn't rule out giving hormones a chance before you go in for any more surgery. I'm so grateful I did!

I rue the day I allowed the TAH/BSO without doing my homework or getting another opinion and that is a mistake I will never repeat! From now on, any surgery on me will definitely be a last resort!

Oh, one more thing... IF the hormones don't help your vaginal burning (but they probably will) you may want to look into pudendal nerve damage. It mimicks vulvodenia, yeast infections and other "common" gyn problems yet it is often overlooked or misunderstood in women who have had hysterectomies. It's hard to diagnose and only doctors who are willing to admit that this surgery can cause nerve damage will be looking for it. (Not very common.)

Best wishes,
Unread 06-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Thank God

It is so awesome to have a forum to talk about these things with other people. I actually thought I was the only person in the world to have bowel problems. Its not like you discuss it with others, not me anyway. I have a very deep close realationship with my husband and I know I have never fully discussed what I go through with him. Im afraid it will disgust him. I have actually have a hard time even seeking treatment for it because...its just too personal. Hearing all of you talk about your problems just has helped me so very, very much. It has given me courage to tell others, that need to understand. I dont think that I have had the experiences that you all have, but I have had several. I have had three back surgeries. One left me nearly disabled, and it has caused numerous problems with bladder and bowel and chronic pain, fibromialgia....so many different kinds of medications. I had come to the conclusion that I would just have to "live" this way for the rest of my life. I am so thankful to Hyster Sisters....they gave me the courgage to go to the doctor and get treatment for what has turned out to be a severe rectocele and bladder prolapse problems. I have found great information on the surgery and outcome. I am looking forward to leading a normal life..."semi"-normal anyway. 6 children and 4 grandchildren...I dont forsee my life ever really being "normal". I go back to my Gyn next week to talk about and schedule the surgeries. Thanks to everyone again for sharing. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2005, 07:13 PM
pelvic pain bowel problems

Lucille, I have read about the pudental nerve damage, I read a
very good article about it. It seems that when the nerve is damaged it tends to 'sprout' more tiny nerves, which in turn
causes you to be ultra sensitive to anything, yeast or any type
of irratiton. Lord knows I feel everything! It sounds as if you
know exactly what I've experienced. I've been looking for several
years now, for just 1 person to know what I am talking about.
I didn't do my homework either, before my surgery, and I am so
sorry, because I only had a prolapsed uterus with low back pain,
and that heavy feeling all the time, I just thought if I had that
thing out that heaviness would be gone, but it is just worse, much
worse, how it has changed my life! But anyway I'm going for the
bio-identical hormone therapy. I have an apptm. July 7th, I'll
keep ya posted. Mucho Thanks for the feedback!
Unread 06-15-2005, 07:17 PM
vaginal pain

Lucille, Just one more thing. I think that the vagina hysts are more
likely to cause the nerve damage. I read that the are more likely
to cause support problems also.
Unread 06-16-2005, 09:20 PM

slt, and ALL,

Like slt said, isn't it good to find others who understand what we are going through!?! Not that we wish this on others, but these problems are devastating enough, without the added emotional pain and isolation that they bring with them.

The amazing part is that the more you talk about it, the more women you know (all around us) will come forward with similar stories. When you are brave, it gives them courage too, and the serendipitous benefit is that by helping them, you will one day realize you have helped yourself!

I know several doctors who have told me they never hear any complaints from their patients yet, I know some of their patients with these problems. These women just assumed other women were voicing their problems when in reality, everyone was suffering in silence. The point being, if we don't talk, this will remain in the dark, even to the physicians.

This is a great thread- I've been on here for a few years now and haven't seen this much talk about the bowel problems before, but I'm sure there are other sisters on here who just haven't talked about it before.

Hugs to all,
Unread 06-17-2005, 07:49 PM
pelvic pain /bowel problems

I personally have no trouble talking about my bodily functions,
and pelvic problems, to me it is just another body part, but there
are a lot of people who are very shy, or embarrassed to talk about it,
even with their doctor, especially their bowels. After my hyst and
was having so much trouble, I ask if there were others with these
problems. "Not in this office" they said, and I heard that more
than once. I just can't believe it. I don't know what is going on,
but there are plenty on this site. I can't say how much this site
has helped me. Every tid-bit helps to put the puzzle together.
Why the Dr's don't know about any of this, is beyond me. I told my
husband yesterday, if the medical profession would log on to the
hystersisters they might finally get their education.
I haven't sent any money for membership, or a gift yet, but the
first of the month I intend to. Thanks for all of your support.
Unread 06-19-2005, 03:12 PM

hi....i read through all the posts here.....my hysterectomy ( for uterine prolapse) two and a half years ago relieved years of bladder pain, only to replace it with pain in my butt/vagina/something that runs down my leg. i know i have a rectocele (MILD says the doc, doesnt need correcting....yeah right!..if this is mild i'd hate to see bad!)......i can have bm's with no problem , just the big bulge in my vagina when i need to go...i've been doing some research and i see my symptoms also go along with pudendal nerve issues. so who would like to guess if its the rectocele or pudendal nerves causing my problem? thats what the docs do. they guess. forgive my venting. my mom is seriously ill and i cant even consider more surgery now. would a rectocele cause pain to run down the leg? i just started a new job a month ago, and the pain of sitting at a desk all day has caused this to become much worse. i desperately need this job. but i do NOT see how i can sit there one more day. its awful. any suggestions/idea/input would be appreciated and my prayers to all of you. thank you.
Unread 06-19-2005, 06:03 PM

My money is on the pudendal nerve, but good luck finding a doctor who understands how that works. I had to go pretty far up the doctor chain before I got a correct diagnosis.

However, take heart, there is a chance that if you get your rectocele under control, you might relieve the pressure on your pudendal nerve... it worked for me, so maybe yours will too.

Are you on any kind of hormone therapy? They wanted to operate on me for the rectocele but then I got to an expert who said no, wait and give the HRT a chance to work it's magic on the vagina and he was right. Thank God! (I use naturally compounded, bio-identical hormones.)

My heart goes out to you. I couldn't sit or lie down comfortably for about two years and I swear it was driving me towards suicide.

My suggestion is to arm yourself with as much information about the pudendal nerve damage as possible and take it with you to your next Dr. appointment.

Good luck.

Big Hugs,
Unread 06-19-2005, 06:34 PM
bowels/nerve damage

You may also have an enterocele,which makes sitting down
miserable. I had that and it took 3 years for someone to find it.
I was also suicidal. I am sure that I had the nerve damage too.
I don't know how they do any surgery in there without nerve
damage. I had the enterocele repaired (bowel goes down in
the vagina from the top) No one could seem to find what it was.
(11 medical professionals) And when they did find it they couldn't
understand why I had pain. Go figure, it felt like a knife was drove
up into me. When I would eat dinner, it would get worse. But
anyway, after the repair that feeling of a baby's head in my
vagina is gone, but I am still in alot of pain. I am going to someone
next month to start the bio-identicals. I don't know what advice
to give you. You'll probably have to keep looking for a good
doctor who understands. They have no idea what this kind of
pain is like. All you can think about everyday. Worry about the pain,
and what it is you are going to do, or who in the world can help.
It is hard to engage anyone. Good luck and keep in touch. Slt

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register