Bored Already | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bored Already Bored Already

Unread 06-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Bored Already

Oh dear, I've only been home from hospital two weeks tomorrow and I am so very very bored.

Hubby has just gone back to work today - he works 2pm til 9pm. I'm OK making myself a cup of tea or coffee and maybe some soup or something simple for my tea. I'm coping OK with being on my own.

My main problem is that I am so very bored! All of my friends are at work so they can't visit me during the day. My parents don't live locally and my mum is in a nursing home anyway. My mother-in-law is on holiday in Egypt. I have such a small attention span at the moment that I can't even pick up something to read without getting bored of it after 5 minutes.

I've got computer games galore - PC, PS2 and X-Box but again, no attention span at all.

Is this normal? What's wrong with me?

I'm going to be climbing the walls having to go through this for at least the next 4 weeks. Aaaaaaagggghhhhhhh!!!

Rowdy.

Unread 06-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Bored Already

Rowdy,

I felt very bored and lonely after my second post op week. I still couldn't concentrate on reading and paperwork either. My husband jokingly told me that it might have been better for him to take time off towards the end of my second week and third week so he could stay home to 'sit on' me to keep me from doing too much.

I visited these message boards frequently. I played my blues CDs really loud as I walked around the house, and since I was alone I belted out the lyrics. I fixed myself lovely soups or salads or left overs, with silverware and candles for lunch. I watched old movies and dvds. I sat on my front porch, wearing a nightgown and a robe. I wrote e-mails to my daughter who is deployed to Afghanistan. I web surfed incessantly.

I'm feeling much better this week (my surgery was 4 weeks ago today.)

Hang in there!
Unread 06-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Bored Already

HI Rowdy, I think the boredom is normal. and I read somewhere on this site that a bored princess is a good princess.and I guess that is true because if we have the time to get bored then it meens that we are doing what we are supposed to. I am 5wks post op and I can tell you that I have very suprised at how bored I have been. my DH remarked one day a few weeks ago about him being so busy at his new job that the time just flys by. and I told him that I am so glad that your day goes so fast since mine just seems to drag on and on. I do find that the sis ters here have made it a little easier though. but know I think I have a comuter addiction. I told a friens of mine that I will probbably go through withdrawls when I have to go back to work. so I just wanted you to know that you are not alone here. Take Care, Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Bored Already

I used the down time to watch movies, read lots of books (I am on number 53 now!), go out to lunch with friends (they drove, I paid) and rest/walk. This kept me occupied and not bored. Make sure that you don't overdo it in your boredom. Especially as time goes by and you get more energy back.
Unread 06-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Bored Already

Must say I'm glad to hear its not just me!! I too am crazy bored. I think the poor contractors workign on my house must think I'm nuts!!

I have also found I have a zero attention span....don't really want to watch TV, movies or dvds, read or even scrapbook!!

I find myself pacing the stupid house - looking at all the dust and stuff I can't reach on the floor!

My friends who work are probably already tired of me calling and I think I have viewed every website on the internet!

So - I guess we just have to suck it up! I have also found I retreat here when I need to chat or vent and that seems to help. OMG I was in the recovery room 14 days ago today and I'm already complaining!!

Cristine
Unread 06-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Bored Already

Bored doesn't begin to describe how I am feeling as well. I can totally relate. Just 2 weeks ago I would have given my right hand to call myself bored because my life was so busy with kids and family. Now I am crabby, restless and bored. Hard to entertain those who always do the entertaining isn't it ?? !! I am thinking of getting out some needlework or crochet projects that are covered in dust, and have read every magazine that has entered the house. I don't have the concentration to read books, it could be the painkillers I'm thinking. Hang in there, this too shall pass.
One thing I am doing to pass the time is make lists of things I would like others to do. Things I would do if I could. Like household stuff, yard stuff, projects etc. It remains to be seen if anyone will do these projects or not. I have them in a spiral notebook and anytime someone asks if they can get anything for me I intend to refer them to this book. I'll let you know if this is working for me. I just can't stand the 1,000 times a day my brain goes "hop up and take care of....." it is just a reflex for us I am sure. Hang in there.
Unread 06-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Bored Already

Oh YES! Which is probably why I started doing paperwork at 2 weeks out --- I felt 'unchallenged'. I didn't have massive brain fog at that point and the attention span was bearable (not great yet).

I started craft projects which I could put down if I got ansy or tired (flower arrangements, wreaths etc) and I painted some ceramics.

I have a GF who broke her foot the day before my surgery - and we spent a lot of time on the phone - swapping 'stories' of recovery, laughable DHs, etc..
Unread 06-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Bored Already

I was so bored at first, but I hit my 5 week mark yesterday, and I have NO idea where the time went!!! I haven't done much at all, either...couldn't really watch TV or read at first. But, I am now reading my first book since surgery. I've done LOTS of word puzzles, napped on and off, walked a lot (as able), and lunched with friends and chatted on the phone.

The time will go by...TRUST me on that one! I thought I would never get to this point...and voila!

Best wishes for a smooth recovery.
Unread 06-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Bored Already

Hello, its 6 weeks tomorow for me, and i must say now its here i do wonder where all the time went, one thing that did keep me occupied was my x-stitch which i love to do and also knitting, im not a keen knitter but my friend suggested i knit some scarves has i only know the basis, she went and got me this real nice wool which when knitted up it looks like fur and is realy soft, my daughter said oh wow i want one, then her 2 friends wanted one, my mum said i want one, i had to send DH out to get more wool for me(bless him), im still at it and got a few more orders but it does really pass the time away for me, i have even thought of getting some odd balls of wool from the charity shops etc and knitting some scarves up for the boxes we put together at school for the needy, i tell you im hooked.

Take care
Unread 06-01-2005, 01:27 PM
bored

I am planning to listen to audio books during my recovery . . . I have several, but I plan to get some new ones. I find that they keep me occupied, but don't require the concentration that reading takes. I also have a long-term crochet project I hope to make at least some progress on . . . and I can do both at the same time, listen to the books and crochet . . . and just lay there and listen if I get sleepy. Also with the audio books you can rewind if you fall asleep during part of the story.
You can usually get audio books from the library (free), but there are other sources as well, such as book stores, movie rental places and online . . . amazon, half.com, audio.com, etc.
Just a thought . . . I hope it is a good one, as I am not looking forward to being bored.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register