The Caffeine Conflict | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Caffeine Conflict The Caffeine Conflict

Unread 06-02-2005, 03:38 PM
The Caffeine Conflict

I am the daughter of a Hyster Sister and she has been asking me to research a few items. I have not found anything related to the issue she is currently having.

She used to drink 2 cups of coffee a day. At this time she has tried a few sips. She has noticed since she has tried coffee being 9 days post op she seems to get sharp stabbing pains in her abdomen. Is it possible this is simply healing or does caffeine actually have an impact on her body following a hysterectomy. Any information would be helpful.

She will be following up with her doctor as well on her next appointment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2005, 03:42 PM
The Caffeine Conflict

you didnt mention the date of her surgery, but I am 9 weeks post and used to drink caffine all day! Coffee in the morning and coke all day. I can now drink a cup of coffee in the morning but NO coke at all during the day. I have had stomache pains too. I am going to the Dr. tomarrow for them. I think.... maybe I have a few soft spots in my stomache from all the IB?!?! just a guess though. I will see what the Dr. says. So tell your mom, she is not alone!
Unread 06-02-2005, 05:19 PM
The Caffeine Conflict

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2005, 05:43 PM
The Caffeine Conflict

I couldn't drink coffee for 6 weeks after surgery. I drank only hot tea, water and apple juice. I found out from the nurse that during the surgery the doctors use retractors and that causes soreness for a while. She'll be able to enjoy her coffee soon enough! Just give herself some healing time!
Unread 06-02-2005, 06:04 PM
The Caffeine Conflict

Hi Ciella,
I'm sorry your mom is having problems. She's lucky to have you there taking care of her.

Most of us find that drinking something hot tends to help move things along through the bowels. That movement creates gas pains, which feel like sharp stabbing pains. My guess is that it isn't really the caffeine bothering her so much as the bowels. Drinking soda will cause the same issues. Getting up and walking is the best cure I know for this. Try having her drink a cup of hot water with lemon to see if the same thing happens.

Ashley
Unread 06-02-2005, 08:23 PM
The Caffeine Conflict

before my surgery on May 9th, I drank 2 pots of coffee per day and starbucks whenever I could manage it.

Since surgery I only drink about 1/2 to 1 cup of coffee a day, and have not even wanted starbucks. I get the nasty pains in my tummy after drinking it too. I have to say though that after 4 weeks, it doesn't hurt like it did right after surgery, and I am up to a full cup a day. Maybe there will be starbucks in my future! I know I am addicted.

It is true that the warm liquid will kind of make things ie gas and bodily fluids move, and this can cause pain.
Unread 06-02-2005, 09:04 PM
The Caffeine Conflict

Because she's only 9 days post op, and because as I understand it this is "new pain", it might be a good idea if she called her doctor about it and not wait for her next appointment. I hope she feels better soon.
Unread 06-03-2005, 09:10 AM
off coffee

this is an interesting thread, as I actually stopped drinking coffee shortly before my surgery (I never could drink it when I was feeling sick), and afterwards, I had absolutely NO desire for it. I started drinking tea in the castle, and really started enjoying the different flavors, am now drinking 2+ cups of tea a day, ahd just yesterday had my first coffee in three months (iced)...
Unread 06-03-2005, 09:39 AM
The Caffeine Conflict

When I was in the hospital my murse told me that I could have a cup of coffee. I have not had any problems with drinking it. I did cut back from 4 cups in the morning to 2. No pains for me. My doctor suggested warm drinks like teas or juices rather than iced down drinks. I am 8 days post op and did try a diet drink yesterday. Took a drink and it has a different taste so I gave it to my son and got a glass of cranberry juice. I can drink tea with no problem either.

I also have a box of gas-ex near by and when I feel the gas pressure I eat one. It has really helped me.
Unread 06-03-2005, 01:26 PM
The Caffeine Conflict

For the first week or so every time I drunk coffee it gave me extremely bad gas and stabbing pains. (Plus it tasted terrible!) I'm back up to 1 cup in the morning and it now tastes good too.

11 weeks Monday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register