to remove or not to remove cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

to remove or not to remove cervix? to remove or not to remove cervix?

Unread 06-04-2005, 10:13 AM
to remove or not to remove cervix?

I've officially "signed up" to have my cervix removed along with the uterus, but now I'm having second thoughts. A few weeks ago when I talked with my Dr. it all made sense, but now I'm not so sure. I'd just like to get others' opinions and experiences. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2005, 11:25 AM

It depends on the type of surgery that you are having whether you even have the option to do so. With an abdominal hyst you have the option. If you are having a vaginal hyst, the cervix comes out.

I chose to keep mine after reading that it may help in supporting the pelvic floor. I also had no history of bad pap tests or cerivical cancer in my family and wanted to keep whatever was still healthy. My DR usually removes the cervix, but he was willing to honor my request to keep mine if he didn't see any problems with it. You need to be aware that if your DR keeps the cervix that there is a very small chance that you will have mini periods every month. That was a possibility that I was willing to live with.

If you search on keeping cervix you will see a lot of posts on this topic.
Unread 06-04-2005, 06:28 PM

Hi Bonzai!,

I was of the school that if it "is not broke, why fix it??" I kept my cervix. I had normal pap smears for years and my cervix was sturdy.

My Dr. felt that the cervix can help with future pelvic support and with sex. Being one year post-op, I agree with both in my case. I had really bad bladder incontinence in pre-op due to my fibroids and I know, now in post-op, my cervix is helping in the support dept. I have not had bladder incontinence in post-op.

The cervix is a very personal decision. I think the most important thing is to be a ~good~ candidate if you want to keep it.

My Dr. cauterized my cervix suring surgery and I have not had a mini-period in post-op. Something you might have read about.

Best wishes. You will make the right choice for yoruself.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2005, 07:23 PM

Thank you ladies for sharing your own experiences and for letting me know that I'll make the right decision for myself. It really helps just to hear that. And... I really liked the quote historylady posted:
"The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B"

What a great attitude! I'm going to repeat it several times between now and my surgery date (June 22) to help remind myself it's all about the attitude, baby!
Unread 06-04-2005, 08:33 PM

I agree with the other responses to your post. The cervix question has been discussed here on many threads.

I was able to keep mine, and I am happy with my decision. All of my yearly pap tests have been normal, and continuing with annual pap tests is not an issue for me. I wanted to keep all of my healthy body parts, and didn't want to remove anything that helps support the pelvic floor. My GYN also cauterized the cervix and I have not had mini periods.

This is a very personal decision and you WILL make the right decision for yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register