thinking of going off hrt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

thinking of going off hrt thinking of going off hrt

Unread 06-05-2005, 01:36 PM
thinking of going off hrt

Hi everyone I have had a tah/bso on 3/31/05 so I am about 10 wks out. The Dr. put me on hrt the next day after sugery. I am now taking estratest. My problem is I am putting on to much wt I have went up 2 sizes in pants already!!! That I just can not handle. from a 16 to a 20. other wise I feel great. I have been thinking of stoping the Hrt to see if I can get my weight back down. Has anyone just stoped their hrt and if so how long does it take to get out of your system. Thank you for your help Leann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2005, 01:43 PM

Shoefly-
I have done just that-went off my Hrt because it was making me feel like crap. However, I was off for 3 months and the muscle aches got so bad, that I had to go back on. Its tough wandering around in this jungle. I wish you good luck if you decide to go off. And I wish you luck if you decide once your off, you cant handle that either. Work closely with you doc, or a compounding pharmacy to get a Hrt that works for you.......... Good luck and many hugs
snickers
Unread 06-05-2005, 05:04 PM

Leann,
Weight issues seem to be a common complaint for the first few months post op. It's not necessarily from the hrt itself, but from your body adjusting to life without your uterus and ovaries. While I didn't gain, I could not lose. After a few months I would drop about 5 pounds and than it would come right back. After about a year, things finally settled down for me and I was able to shed the extra pounds I had put on before the hyst. It does take more effort now, but I've managed to keep it off.

Here's some interesting articles about the issue of weight after a hyst:
Weight and Hrt
Weight and Menopause

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2005, 05:22 PM

shoefly, I agree, at 10 wks out it may be a bit early to figure this out. I too started to gain weight after initially losing weight. I put it back on so fast and went beyond what is acceptable to me. I was very very hungry all the time and the food just tasted too darn good. Well it is under control now. I think the hormones are involved. My estrogen is the vivelle dot, I wasn't about to fiddle with that one. My testosterone is a sublingual troche. I started to drop the dose (they are easy to cut in half) and see how I felt. The swelling in my fingers improved and my appetite got under control and I still felt good. I am dieting now and losing 1 pound a week. This is acceptable to me! I am not starving!

While my experience is not a controlled study.. It might be worth trying. See if your doctor is willing to have the testosterone compounded. Most of the ladies here seem to be using the creams. I really like the troche. I started on the 2mg. Slowly cut back to 1mg. Had my prescription rewritten when I still felt great on the 1mg. Now I take 1/2 mg. I have cut the troche into 1/4s and tried the 1/4mg. The point is--it is easy to play with the dose.
Unread 06-05-2005, 06:06 PM

thank you to each of you for replying. I do start back to work on the 13th and I cant wait going nuts at home. I will also be starting back to weight watchers also. That may help I will make an appt. with Dr. to see about the hrt I feel great its just the extra weight. thanks again and God bless.
Unread 06-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Pearle & Shoefly

Excuse me... Hi Pearle

what made the swelling in your fingers go down?

Hi Shoefly,
Oh & my opinion Estratest could be your problem I gained a TON on that..its Synthetic.Try Compounded HRT....MORE NATURAL TO YOUR BODY.

Deedee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register