18 months post op - pain from adhesions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

18 months post op - pain from adhesions 18 months post op - pain from adhesions

Unread 06-05-2005, 04:18 PM
18 months post op - pain from adhesions

Hi everybody

I'm hoping that somebody out there can share a positive experience about adhesions after hysterectomy! I've been getting quite severe pain for over 6 months now after been pain free for a good while after TAH. My gynaecologist says that the pain is most likely due to adhesions and it may resolve itself over time. He says that if he operates and cuts them out, they will most likely grow back again. Has anyone else had this problem?

thanks all
Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2005, 05:22 PM

I had my hysterectomy 3 years ago - I had additional surgery 1 year ago to remove my right ovary and adhesions. I had yet another surgery 4 months ago to remove a pelvic mass and adhesions.

The only way to positively diagnosis adhesions is by having lapraoscopic surgery.

The pain they may cause can be quite severe as can the possible complications they can cause. They are an almost inevitable outcome of surgery - a high percentage of women undergoing a hysterectomy will develop adhesions. Not all adhesions will cause pain or problems. Some people go through life never even knowing they have them. Then there are those that can have a small amount of them but suffer a great deal of pain & sometimes ongoing health issues because of them. Their location and what they are adhered to can make a big difference in the issues they may create.

Adhesions form as a result of surgery so unfortunately each surgery can create new adhesions. My doctor has put in some mesh barriers to reduce the risk of additional adhesions forming.

Here are a few sites and information that better describe adhesions; why they develop, treatment options & possible prevention:

What Causes Adhesions?

How Are Adhesions Treated?

You might also want to check out the HysterSister Resources section on Adhesions
Unread 06-08-2005, 10:37 AM

I had surgery to deal with adhesions and a bso .. some months after the hyst

Its a dual edged sword . sometimes the adhesiosn get sobad that the Drs have njo choice but to go in and free them or food may keep coming up for eg
because the gut has 'strnagled' itself

yet going in makes for more scarring .

its been some months since my bso and adhesion surgery .. so far so good . recovery hasnt been easy but its better thanhwat I had before the OP

mei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2005, 07:09 AM

Linda,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing new problems after your hyster. And I wish I had something positive to say about your adhesions. Let me think........nope, can't think of anything! (You know what they say - if you can't say anything nice...) I hope that your pain does subside. But if it doesn't, don't hesitate to point that out to your doctor. You have a right to be pain free. (Remember, you are a princess now!!! )

I live with these pesky things. I've had several surgeries to try and clear them out. (Each time they come back faster!) So, no more surgery for me. But as LynnMaryVL said, many people have them and never even know they are there. ( not sure how I got lumped in with the other group!!!)

You've gotta laugh or you'll go crazy......

Take care

s
Cortney
Unread 06-09-2005, 08:06 AM

Oh, gosh - - I wish there WERE something positive to say about those monsterous adhesions. I had them develop early on after a very complicated hysterectomy (internal bleeding, ileus, bladder infection, etc.). Six months after that my gyn went in laparoscopically to take them down but had to convert to open incision because they were so dense. It is true that some people never know they're there, though for the life of me, I can't even fathom that! I'm like Cortney . . . I will NOT have any more surgery until some more sure fire way of preventing them is developed OR unless something happens that I have to have them taken down. Someone said that the pain depends on where they are and what they are attached to but another factor is what kind of adhesions you have. There are filmy, stringy adhesions and there a dense, vascular adhesions. Mine happened to be the dense, vascular kind (Oh, joy! ) so they have a more "corded" type sensation. I do a lot of stretches, drink a lot of water, and have deep connective tissue massages on my pelvic area every two to three weeks. It helps me but I still have bad days. I hope you find the help you need. Hugs . . .
Unread 06-11-2005, 06:00 PM

thanks...Lynmary, Mei, Courtney & Anita!

Suddenly I now know so much more! My doctor has said that if the pain is totally unbearable that he will operate - but I'm a bit tired of ops and would like to wait a while longer perhaps (till I've gone totally crazy!)

Lynnmary, one of those links that you suggested talked about using a product called 'seprafilm' to stop adhesions growing back onto organs. Has anyone had this stuff put inside them? Has it worked? I'm going to mention it to my dr next time I speak with him and ask what he thinks. He's usually well up on 'cutting edge' treatments - excuse pun...

It's really lovely to hear from America and Singapore - thanks girls, it's great to get your support!

regards
Linda
Unread 06-12-2005, 11:48 AM

Linda,
It's been my understanding that Seprafilm is one of the older adhesion barriers available. When I was talking to my general surgeon about adhesions, he said he had more success with the Seprafilm than with some of the newer products on the market. Of course, there are no guarantees. Even if the doc uses a barrier, it's not a 100% that the adhesions won't come back.

Unread 06-13-2005, 06:53 AM

I've never had one of the "Barrier's" placed - but have read posts from other ladies here at HS that have - and many have still had the dreaded monster return. I think it's just a luck of the draw.

I'm glad that your doctor is willing to talk to you about different treatment options!! That means SOOO much when you are in situations like ours.

Hope all is well on your side of the world!

s

Cortney
Unread 06-13-2005, 07:28 AM

Yes, I had Seprafilm placed on my adhesion surgery and had them return. It's not a surefire thing and the bad part about Seprafilm is that it's best placed during open incision, which is a double edged sword (pardon the pun) because open surgeries tend to create more adhesions than laparoscopic. Some surgeons are trying methods where they crumble the Seprafilm up and mix it with water to get it through the laparoscope but, from what I understand and have read, it's very difficult to get it placed in the right areas when doing this. It's a very brittle subtance. Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register