3 Doctors - 3 Opinions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 Doctors - 3 Opinions 3 Doctors - 3 Opinions

Unread 06-07-2005, 09:08 AM
3 Doctors - 3 Opinions

Just came back from gyn/onc #3. Gyn/Onc #1 says TAH/BSO, so I schedule it and meantime go for second gyn/onc opinion which is laproscopic RSO. After much agonizing, I decided to to with #1. One week before surgery I found out he was not a participant in my insurance plan, so I cancelled surgery. Had to start over and find gyn/onc #3.

Gyn/onc #3 looks at TVUS from Feb (5 cm septated cyst right ovary and fibroid) and looks at report from second TVUS in May (5 cm septated cyst left ovary and fibroid) and says, "Well it looks like in Feb you had a cyst on your right ovary and in May you had a cyst on your left ovary. I suggest you return to your gyn and see whether or not they mislabled the second US. If you had a right cyst and then a left cyst, then that is fairly normal and is not indicative of cancer."

So much fun I can hardly stand it. I have had myself stressed out over possible surgery and possible cancer. I am supposed to move into a new house this summer and my only child is getting married in August. Not a good time for a TAH. So, great news if I don't need surgery. But do I? I think I'll be calling the gyn for another TVUS. Stay tuned.

MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2005, 09:19 AM
3 Doctors - 3 Opinions

MB

Oh how frustrating for you. Another TVUS sounds like a good idea. If it were me, I would also be asking the technician to make sure she was labeling everything correctly.

s
Jane
Unread 06-07-2005, 10:49 AM
3 Doctors - 3 Opinions

MB -

How frustrating. Too bad #3's office just didn't do an utrasound right then and there.

#3 is right that cancer doesn't shift around, but it does seem to me that mislabeling is a possibility (both septated and 5 cm?)

Dorrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2005, 10:51 AM
3 Doctors - 3 Opinions

s MB

I"m with Dorrie. Too bad they didn't have you get another US right then and there.
Waiting, waiting, waiting is the pits.
Let us know how it goes.

oxoxo karenann
Unread 06-08-2005, 01:45 PM
3 Doctors - 3 Opinions

Well, I talked to my original gyn today on the phone and he had me come in for another transvaginal. I didn't see him, but I'm guessing they will call me soon with the results.

I'm starting to see the benefit of taking life one day at a time. Enjoy today. Don't worry about tomorrow, next week, next month. Maybe I'll have a TAH/BSO, maybe I have cancer, maybe I won't have a hyst, maybe I don't have cancer. Since I don't really have any answers today and I can't control whether I have cancerous cysts or not, why worry away the day about it? When they call me, I'll have more information and take the next step, whatever it is. I need to get busy and enjoy today while I have it. It's a beautiful summer day out there.

Thanks for listening, as always.

MB
Unread 06-08-2005, 07:53 PM
3 Doctors - 3 Opinions

MB - you must feel like a bouncing ball going back and forth. I can certainly relate. I had a female gyn dx me with complex hyperplasia and stessed a TAH/BOS but sent me to an oncol/gyn. He wanted to do the same. I didn't really care for him and I asked my GP to recommend another gyn. Second gyn also said TAH/BOS and had me convinced that was what I needed. Then he called me the next day and said he didn't feel he could take my case (had "presented" me to come colleagues and the head of gyn at his hospital) and felt I was too great a cancer risk. Referred me to a seond oncol/gyn at a big medical center near me. I had all my records sent and as soon as I saw him he said "what do you want me to tell you - that you don't need a hyst?" He said "I don't think you do. I think you need another D & C and an increase in your med" so he sent me back to gyn #2. I stayed with him and had the second D & C in March 05. Path came back fine. Now he doesn't want me on meds so we're doing the "wait and see" approach.

BTW I'm 56 and I feel great. I have a TVUS scheduled for next week and then it will be "wait for the results". I had a "regular period" in May so I'm optimistic that everything is fine but I am also proactive so I insisted on the TVUS.

Good luck and I'm sure everything will work out for you. Remember God doesn't give you more than you can handle.

Mary in NY
Unread 06-14-2005, 11:54 AM
3 Doctors - 3 Opinions

Good news, I think. Results from ultrasound #3 show NO suspicious ovarian cysts. Weird, but apparently true. So, no surgery needed. Gyn wants me to repeat CA125 in 90 days.

The first ultrasound was done at a lab with a tech and a radiologist. The second and third ultrasounds were done at the gyn's office with just a tech. I should probably have another independent ultrasound done sometime in the not too distant future. For now, I'm happy to have a surgery-free and cancer-free summer ahead of me. Hopefully, menopause will come along soon and Mr. Fibroid will shrink away.

Thanks to all of you for listening and helping with suggestions, advice, and replies. You've really helped me get through these last couple of months. It's been quite a roller coaster ride.

MB

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register