UPDATE RE: MY SISTER'S SECOND SURGERY FOR OvCa... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

UPDATE RE: MY SISTER'S SECOND SURGERY FOR OvCa... UPDATE RE: MY SISTER'S SECOND SURGERY FOR OvCa...

Unread 06-08-2005, 04:16 PM
UPDATE RE: MY SISTER'S SECOND SURGERY FOR OvCa...

Hi all~

I promised to update all of you regarding my sister's second surgery for recurrent OvCa.

Please forgive me if I don't make a lot of sense or for any errors...I am exhausted from traveling back and forth from Hopkins the last few days and from being there since 5:00 AM this morning for my sister's surgery.

As only the doctor at Hopkins found (even Andersom missed this one), not to mention the only doctor willing to perform this surgery, he found 5 lesions and was able to remove them all. Four were removed with no difficulty, the fifth that was twisted around her ureter and attaching itself to her colon, which was more difficult. Her surgery lasted a little over 6 hours. He did, however, accomplish removing it by having to remove a small portion of her colon and ureter and resectioning both. He said the surgery was the best he could have hoped for. There was a chance that he would have opened her up only to find far too many more lesions just to close her up with no success. Thank God, that wasn't the case.

He is now sending the tissue samples to run an assay to determine what chemo she would be resistant to. This SHOULD HAVE been done at the time of her initial surgery, but she didn't have that done at a major cancer center where she lives in Sedona, AZ.

Our hope now is that a successful assay will come back and at that time she will begin chemo, knowing ahead of time, which drugs won't help. This was her best shot at an attempt to go into remission.

Again, please forgive me for being somewhat brief in my explanation. I just wanted to touch base quickly and will post again when I can.

My heartfelt thanks go out to everyone who sent prayers for my sister and I continue to pray that this will turn out to be of great benefit to her.

's to all!!!!!!!
Heni
PS...this doctor from Hopkins is a true Godsend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Great news!

I think I want to see that doctor foe my second opinion.I don't feel comfortable with my doctors plan after repeat sonogram.
Unread 06-08-2005, 05:39 PM

Dear Heni,

Wow! sounds like they have done everything possible.

Thank goodness!!!! you went to Johns Hopkins and found this Dr. willing to do the surgery. You could have quit when Anderson refused to do it. I am so glad that you were tenacious/unyielding/uncompromising in your seach to find a way to help your sister.

You were a woman on a mission.......mission accomplished!

I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your sister ( even though exhausted). There are many who are following your posts with interest/deep concern and caring. Continue to let us know how your sister is doing.

You must be relieved.

Hugs, Diane (baylee6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2005, 05:45 PM

Thanks for letting us know how your sister is doing. This just shows us that when one doctor gives no hope to keep on looking as there may be one out there that can help us.

s
Jane
Unread 06-08-2005, 06:48 PM

Hi Heni,

Please tell your sister that we are all there for her and am glad that the surgery went well.
Now she needs to rest and heal.
Rosalie
Unread 06-08-2005, 07:39 PM

Dear Heni,

I was so relieved to read your post. I'm so glad things have gone well for your sister.
Now, remember to take care of yourself. You've got to keep up your strength, and your help, so you can help take care of your sister.

Hugs to all,
K9
Unread 06-08-2005, 08:19 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your sister's progress with us. We are so happy for you both. I will be interested to hear the results of the assay tests...

Please pass along our best wishes to your sister for a very speedy recovery and a full remission.
Unread 06-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks so much to all you have responded so far...

I want to express my thanks to all of you who have read my post and have responded.

I want all of you to know that I am printing out all of the well wishes to my sister to take to the hospital to illustrate all of your support for her.

She has never been a "puter" person, however, I always share everyone's stories with her and pass along your well wishes and prayers sent to her...it has always meant so much to her and we both thank all of you again!

Personally, I would have been a real lost soul without the support of each and every one of you and HysterSisters.

Rest arrured, I will keep you posted on her recovery and where she goes from here.

God Bless All Of You!
Heni
Unread 06-08-2005, 08:36 PM

s Heni

It certainly sounds as though everything went as well as you and your sister could have hoped for today.
Gotta love Hopkins. If I ever want another opinion, that will be my first stop.
Regarding the tumor assay at the time of the first surgery, I believe because about 70 to 80% of ovca women have a good clinical response to taxol and carboplatin, it is probably not considered cost effective.
Unfortunately.........
And then some gyn oncs just don't put too much faith in those assays.
Wishing you and sister the very best!!

oxoxox karenann
Unread 06-09-2005, 04:39 AM

Heni
Your sister certainly seems to be in good hands. She is blessed to have a sister like you to advocate for her. I also have sisters who have helped me on my cancer journey (actually, I have 5 sisters).

Remember to pamper yourself as well as your sister. You both deserve the best of treatment.

Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register