Hereditary colon cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hereditary colon cancer Hereditary colon cancer

Unread 06-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Hereditary colon cancer

Has anybody had experience with genetic testing for familial colon cancer? I had a hyster for endometrial cancer in November and my father's family has many members with colon cancer. The two types of cancer may be related, and I've been encouraged to have the testing done by my GI Dr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Hereditary colon cancer

I share the endo ca dx....I was stage 1a.....my regular gyn also suggested genetic testing as my dad had colon ca twice, both times cured.....the ca resulted from un checked polyps....My older brother has had precancer polyps removed and my older sis has had benign polyps removed.....to me that is a pretty clear genetic link.... They are both much older than I am....I had a colonoscopy at age 43 when my endo ca was discovered.....the test was clean and will have another in two years (every 5 years if no disease is found)....
I asked my gyn/onc if I needed testing and he said he didnt see where it would make much difference.....His feelings were that I had a colonoscopy that was normal and would continue to have them every five years....as should all members of my family, starting at an earlier age than the recommended age 50 for the general public...
My gyn did say that the only danger is that there are no laws protecting an individual when genetic testing proves a family connection to a disease...which could possibliby impact insurance, job and other coverages. I am opting at this time to forgo genetic testing....but may change my mind at some point.
Unread 06-10-2005, 04:34 AM
Hereditary colon cancer

The geneticist told me that if the gene is found, younger relatives need screening colonoscopies starting at 25! And that most insurance pays because it saves them money later. My Gyn was not aware of this connection, but my GI says colos every 2 years even though no polyps were found. I am worried for my children ( 27 and 22). The testing is expensive to send the tumor out to look for the gene, but I plan to do it. The kids could have an 80% chance of colon cancer, and I think it was over 30% for endometrial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Hereditary colon cancer

Chris5 brings up some good points.

Genetic testing does not guarantee you will or will not get this cancer, regardless of the outcome. It is merely one indicator. There are also environmental factors involved, e.g. you may be genetically predisposed, but only if exposed to certain things.

Genetic testing generally should not influence the way a good gastroenterologist will treat you given a family or personal history.

If there is a family history, it is a very good idea to be tested. Most doctors and insurance are very accommodating in this case.
Unread 06-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Cancer Concerns

I also had endo cancer, and the gyn/onc told me that in that I need to have a colonoscopy. He said that for women like me with no aparent risk factors for endo cancer, there could be a genetic link to other cancers. There is genetic syndrome called Lynch Syndrome that links gyn, colon and blatter cancers in families. I'm waiting to feel a bit better from my hyst, still having a lot of pain, to schedule my colonoscopy.

Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register