And the new Chemo is ******* | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

And the new Chemo is ******* And the new Chemo is *******

Unread 06-09-2005, 08:44 PM
And the new Chemo is *******

Hi Everyone

Well my repeat CA-125 has jumped to 343.
The doc changed my Chemo to Doxil beginning today.
I was alittle nervous the way they talked about it. Finding a big vein, and the side effects.
Has anyone had this "hand and foot syndrome"? It sure sound scary to me. Something about blisters and then peeling of the palms of the hands and the souls of the feet.
Let me tell you what happened. (I know Donna Fay will appreciate this one)
I finally got up enough nerve to have my first haircut after growth from my first round of chemo last year. I got it cut in the cutest short style just this past Tuesday. Now I have always been a long hair kind of gal. So for me to go short is very out of charcter. Then to find out today that it will all be gone in about 2 weeks. I almost had to laugh, it took me this long to get up my nerve, and then to fine out it was for nothing. (Iguess I'm feeling alittle sorry for myself, sorry) I promised myself I would not cry over losing my hair a second time, but when I told my DH, I could hardly get the words out between sobs. I know its petty, and alittle conseated, but I think it was the hardest thing I have ever been through, and the thought of doing it again is devastating.

Sugar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2005, 09:23 PM

s Sugar

I am glad to read of the chemo switch.
I know some women on doxil.
The foot - hand syndrome was not a bad as anticipated.
And one lady has a beautiful head of curly hair after six doxil treatments.
I'll be praying that doxil brings NED to you!!!!

oxoxox karenann
Unread 06-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Doxil

Doxil may do some thinning but normally you don't lose your hair on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2005, 09:44 PM

Hi Sugar,

I don't know this from personal experience with this med, only as a nurse, but most people don't lose their hair on Doxil. And the hand-and-foot syndrome generally is on the mild side. I double checked on the med website and it quoted 37% for the hand and foot syndrome and 15% for hair loss--and that is for any occurence, not just severe. The hand and foot problems generally clear up fairly quickly and there isn't as much neruopathy trouble as with the other taxanes.

Still it is just not fair that you have to go through this again. It calls for language that would trouble the Hyster Sisters profanity checker. Sometimes it's best to just cry it out. Then remember how many people love and depend on you, and just chew through it, one little piece at a time. We know you can you do this, and we love you just as much when you've got the blues as we do when you are on top of the world.

Michele
Unread 06-09-2005, 10:20 PM

Sugar,
I too am praying this does it for you.

I have no experience with Doxil, just wanted to let you know I am thinking of your.

s
Jane
Unread 06-10-2005, 03:20 AM

Dear Sugar

Maybe I can help you out a bit, as I have just finished 6 sets of treatments with Doxil, but in my case they were combined with Gemzar. I had both drugs on day 1, then Gemzar again on day 8, then 2 weeks off, and started again.

I was also told by a not very experienced doctor that I would lose my hair, but I didn't!! From my understanding, most patients only get thinning of their hair, and only a very few lose their hair entirely. I didn't start losing any hair until after the third treatment, and at that point it was like "shedding", if you've had a dog or long-haired cat, you can understand what that's like! Every morning there would be a few hairs on my pillow, and if I brushed my hair vigorously, there would be quite a bit in my brush. My hair really did thin out quite a bit, but it is SUPER curly now, like a really curly perm, (after having been extremely straight and thick before chemo) and so you cannot really notice the thinned out spots. Now, 5 weeks after my last treatment, it's not really coming out anymore. I did lose my eyebrows however, but again, that was after a couple of months.

About the hand and foot thing, I had some peeling of the hands, in the crevasses where your fingers bend mostly, but it wasn't too bad. I just got some heavy-duty hand cream from the nurses which worked well. My hands did get an odd feeling for a few days after chemo, kind of irritated, and I couldn't really grasp things well, like opening a tight jar, forget it!! My feet were really dry and flaky, but felt fine. The whole thing lasted only a couple of days, and wasn't too bad.

Hope this helps you some, I am a bit hesitant to discuss what I experienced, because I had two drugs at once, and cannot be sure about the effects of each! Any other questions, just email me, ok?

love, Janet J
ovca 1c
in Aarhus, Denmark
Taxol, carbo 9 tx
Doxil, Gemzar 6 tx.
Unread 06-10-2005, 04:22 AM

Sugar
s to you.
May this chemo chase al those nasty cells away and you dance with NED forever.

Cindy
Unread 06-10-2005, 12:44 PM

Sugar,

Here's hoping that not only do you get to keep your hair, but that your hands and feet don't peel and, most importantly, NED comes waltzing back to you shortly.
Unread 06-10-2005, 02:19 PM

Hi Sugar,

I too am glad to hear that your doctor is changing your chemo. I know how hard change is but ususally it is for the best. When my docotor switched me from the taxol/carbo combination to the gemzar/carbo combination I was a little leary but I did very well on it.

I do not know about doxil but Gemzar does not make your hair fall out. Unfortunately in my case, I had the 2 treatments of taxol and carbo before switching so my hair did come out. However, while on the Gemzar it did grow back and I have been wigless for a while.

Now the hand and foot combination I do know about because I did and still do have that symptom. It is not as bad as it sounds and really just looks like dry itchy skin. I keep moisturizing and my dermatologist just gave me a cream to try. If it works I will let you know.

Wishing you lots of good results with the new chemo.

Rosalie
Unread 06-10-2005, 04:45 PM

Thanks everyone

I feel alittle better today. I'm really relieved that the hair loss may not be a problem.
I've been alittle more nauseated today than witth the other chemo. Took my nausea med of course. My mother in law found something called "Queasy pops". They are like suckers for Chemo patients. I used one this afternoon and I do believe it helped.
anyway thanks for all the support and good wishes. Maybe this will be the one to finally knock those little suckers out for good.

Sugar

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register