questions for pre-op, plus kid and pets | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

questions for pre-op, plus kid and pets questions for pre-op, plus kid and pets

Unread 06-11-2005, 02:22 PM
questions for pre-op, plus kid and pets

Does anyone have suggestions to ask the doc pre-op, anything I may not have read yet? Also suggestions for keeping the eight year old and the cat from climbing on me post op? Thank you all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2005, 02:26 PM

Don't have any suggestions for you on the cat, except to keep a pillow handy to muffle any impact from his jumping up. As to the 8 year old, you just need to explain what is going on. At the time of my surgery, my 3 were 6, 8 and 10 (two have now had a birthday and are older). I explained what was going to happen and that mommy wouldn't be able to lift, do chores, or do much more than give hugs and kisses for awhile. After I came home from the hospital, I showed them my scar (mine are all girls). Occasionally, even now, I have to remind them I can't participate in some things as fully as I used to (yet). I just say, remember mom just had surgery, and that is generally effective. Good luck.
Unread 06-11-2005, 02:41 PM

Hi!

If you look in Pre-Op Articles, we have a lot of different topics that include questions to ask your doctor, what to pack, etc. You can find them by clicking on 'Hysterectomy Info' at the top of any page or here. Questions for to ask your doctor are #27.

Best wishes!

s

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2005, 04:07 PM

I don't have a cat so I can't help you there . . . . but I do have kids that just went through this not so long ago. Mine are 5 & 7 so not really at an age that they totally understand the pain. I found it helpful for them to see my incision and also my catheter, it reminded them that there was some serious ouchies there and to be careful and gentle. It didn't scare them enough to make them worry, but it did remind them to be slow around me and I think they were also a little better behaved because they knew I was hurting. They also where aware that only "side hugs" were allowed for quite awhile post op and they were very thankful when we were back to our regular hugs. Maybe you can tell you 8 year old now about your sore tummy and incision and practice the "side hug" beforehand!

Take care, jmw
Unread 06-11-2005, 04:46 PM

My cats were one of my biggest worries pre-op! Pillows are the answer...keep pillows with you whenever you are in a position where those fur-heads can pounce. I kept pillows on my stomach while sleeping and while sitting on the couch.
I posted this same pouncing cat question myself pre-op;
a lady answered saying she kept herself surrounded by teddy bears!
I am 10 wks post-op--just about a half hour ago I was laying down on my back resting after work...forgot my pillow: and sure enough, POUNCE! Right on my poor, sore, belly.
Yes, even this far post-op I use pillows for protection...my belly is soooo sore after working all day!
Unread 06-11-2005, 05:43 PM

Here is what I told my children 4 and 6, I showed them my belly button incision and pointed on my clothes that had two more at the pubic line. I then explained that even though Momma only had small boo boo's on the outside that the Dr. had to do a lot of work on the inside and that a lot of big boo boo's in there.

The thing that was best for them was if I was reclined on the couch (our couch has recliners in it) I would let them sit beside me especially when getting close to bed time. So they still got their Mommy time.

Two wks out and up and about is a little harder for them to remember Momma still has a sore tummy but they try bless their hearts. My 4 yr old wants to tell every body in the world...she had to tell the gentleman checking out infront of us at Wal-Mart earlier today.
Unread 06-11-2005, 06:39 PM

I'm raising my grandchildren aged 3 and 22 months. I wasn't supposed to lift anything over 5 lbs for 5 weeks? HA!
Never the less I'm healing fine. I get DH, DD and a part time Nanny, to help as much as possible. I explained to my 3 yr old that my tummy is hurting and she asks if it's "broken" or has the doctor fixed it yet. She forgot to be careful a couple of times, but she soon caught on.
Your son should not only be old enough to understand better, but also to help you. Cats require pillows.
Take it as easy as you possibly can. Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register