TVH Post Op Appointments | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH Post Op Appointments TVH Post Op Appointments

Unread 06-12-2005, 06:55 AM
TVH Post Op Appointments

For those who have had TVH's.....when was your post-op appointment scheduled for? Did any doctors do internal exams at that time? I have a 2 week post-op appointment and was wondering if I will have to go back again after that. I was also wondering what to expect at my 2-week post op appt. And.....silly question....but since I had everything removed (uterus, cervix & ovaries), will I need to still have an annual exam and PAP smear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2005, 07:22 AM
TVH Post Op Appointments

Hi Lisa

I had a TVH in 2003. My experience with follow-up exams was 4weeks, 3months, 6months and 1 year. I did have an internal exam at each appt. to check on healing. I also had a rectocele repair. Not comfortable, but certainly not horrible.

Just as we are different, so are our doctors. I have asked a couple of times about pap smears. My surgeon told me that since I had my cervix removed, a pap would only be needed every few years. The gyn I am seeing now feels the same.

Hope this helps and hope you are feeling well. Take it easy...........even though there are no visible incisions, you still had major surgery so don't overdo it.

s
Gail
Unread 06-12-2005, 08:18 AM
TVH Post Op Appointments

Gail,
Thanks for the reminder about not over doing it! I do have to keep telling myself that! As a mom, it's difficult to sit back and watch my DH struggle with the daily chores. Natural instinct kicks in and I do so much want to chip in. My insides do feel quite sore, and I feel achy all over. Sure wish there were visuals so that I could actually see where the internal repairs & stitches are! I simply cannot fathom what was repaired inside!
Pictures would help!
As for the annual exam, I guess I will find out more at my 2 week post-op appt. I just wasn't exactly sure what the PAP smear tests and what it tests for. I know, silly question, seeing as though I've had it annually for so many years!
Thanks for your reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2005, 08:28 AM
TVH Post Op Appointments

I had a LAVH and had an appt. 1 week post-op to take out the stitches from the lap and do a general check of how I was doing - no internal. I went back at 6 weeks for my internal. I go back again at the end of August for another check and then I'm good til next year. Because I have one ovary left, I will continue to see him yearly - pelvic exams but no paps. Also, he pointed out, next year will be the year to do my baseline mammogram.
Unread 06-12-2005, 08:51 AM
TVH Post Op Appointments

Hello,
I had an LATVH on the 26th of May and my 2wk this past Thursday the 9th of June.

My Dr. did do a quick manual exam, he was VERY gentle, and then he looked at my 3 little lap incisions and that was that. We then discussed that I am pretty much back to normal activities except still no strenuous lifting, no sex, and no exercising that would break a sweat. I go back in 4 wks but to call if I had any questions at all.

Just as a side note I do have the brown discharge and he said that would continue for another 3 wks or so until all the stitches were healed.

Sorry I keep thinking of things, he also took pic.s (but that was with the lap) and gave them to my husband and Mom in the hospital. He told them if I would bring them with me he would go over them. He explained pic.s to them but I wanted to hear it all from him so I did take them. He was wonderful to go over each picture. Exactly what I was looking at and what had been done. He even showed me that you could see the cath in my bladder in one of the pictures.
Unread 06-13-2005, 09:38 AM
TVH Post Op Appointments

I had a TVH on May 3rd (kept ovaries). They scheduled my appointment for 6 weeks after surgery! After week 1, I called the Dr. to see if I could drive, (whick he said I could) and when I could return to work (which he said I couldn't). Dr. said they would change my appointment to three weeks instead of six. Went in at three weeks and had a total interior exam (cuff was a bit tender). He said I was healing very well and could resume my normal actvities except heavy lifting. I am now almost 6 weeks post op and everything it totally back to normal. My TVH was totally pain-free and I had to keep reminding myself that I had major surgery! Hope all goes well for you too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register