vomiting blood???? NOW what? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vomiting blood????  NOW what? vomiting blood???? NOW what?

Unread 06-12-2005, 01:59 PM
vomiting blood???? NOW what?

Hi Girls

I'm sitting here on Sunday afternoon waiting for my tummy to settle down (if that's possible today) and getting a little scared on whats going on here.

I've had some issues with my stomach ever since my last surgery but had put off having surgery to remove the gallbladder due to my post surgical history. When the did an ultra sound a year ago they said my gallbladder was fine but I did have a growth they couldn't explain. I didn't have insurance then but do now.

I am scheduled tomorrow for an ultra sound of my gallbladder to see if the growth has gotten larger. I am also to have blood work the same day and then see my doc on the 14th. In the mean time my stomach probs have gotten worse and I'm looking for some insight for ya'll.

I've gone to WebMD and researched here but still come up blank.....I don't have gallbladder diesiese (sp) or bowel obstruction and divircuticulitis (another spelling? lol) In fact I'm rather at a loss as the pains they discribe are totally different from what I'm feeling when I have one of these attacks. I feel pain where my left ovary used to be twice!! It's the same pain on the left side and goes to a minor ache after I have a vomiting attack.

I have no fever, But I do have major swelling of the hands and feet, no pain in the chest or gallbladder area and no bowel problems such as constipation or runny stools. I DO have blood in my vomit....enough to scare the smcheckles outta me. I go thru episodes where I barf 3 times...once an hour. After that I feel fine till the next attack. The attacks used to come every couple of months now they are up to every few days. I've had three this week and this is the second time I've thrown up blood. It's not just a little either....

I know I'll have answers in a few days ( I hope) but I was wondering if anyone else has ever gone thru this? Anyone else with gallbladder attacks? what does one actually feel like?

Any insight would be great ladies....I'm at a loss on this one and terrified I'm to have yet another surgery..

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2005, 03:25 PM

Dawn,
So sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I had my gall bladder out 2 years ago. Prior to having it out, I would start to have attacks where I would feel nauseous. A few hours later, my abdomen would start to swell and feel incredibly sore (it hurt to even wear underwear). Then, I would vomit every hour for a good 6 or 7 hours. I felt like I was going to die. I can remember laying on my side saying "The Lord's Prayer" over and over and over again all night hoping that it would end. When the vomiting finally stopped, I would simply collapse and could not move. I would feel weak and bloated for 2 days after. This started being a once-a-month event (which made my previous gyn wonder if it was female related). Then, it came more frequently. I had several tests & ultrasounds to finally realize that my gall bladder was functioning at only 27%. At the same time, the doctors determined that I had acid reflux. Go figure. It was a year from "you know where" for me. Since having the gall bladder out, I have been fine. I have never vomited blood and I truly think that you should call your doctor about that. Please let us know how you make out....I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Unread 06-12-2005, 03:46 PM

Dawn
If it were me, and I was vomitting blood, I would head to the ER now! Not tomorrow, or the next day, but NOW! I've often told dh that if my symptoms ever get to the point of vomitting, that he is to take me immediately to the ER. Go now, do not pass GO, get off the computer and go to the hospital.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2005, 05:07 PM

Thanks ladies!!

Kim...I'm done for now I think, and if I follow pattern I'll be fine now, at least for a few days. It's wierd like that just this time I think it's telling me I can't put off surgery anymore. I go for the Ultra sound at 8 am Monday morn and it something is really bad they will send me to ER and call my doc.

I'm hoping I can hold off just one more week as my step-son is getting married this next coming Sat and I'm in charge of decorating everything!!!!

Roz......After reading all the posts and coming to the conclusion no one has had my symptoms there you are!! You describe me exactly!! Oh my....just like me now. It's exactly what I'm going thru....I haven't been able to understand the weakness and exhaustion after, or the bloating and swelling. Thank you for letting me know!! Can you tell me what about your diet you have had to change? How bad was the healing from surgery...I know it won't be like the hyst but I still have an aversion to be down for to long...lol

Thanks sisters...I knew I could back here and "feel normal"

Dawn
Unread 06-12-2005, 05:31 PM

Dawn,
At last....someone who is experiencing what I was with the gall bladder!! I was starting to wonder if it was all "in my head" when I was going through these attacks...though it sure didn't feel like it was in my head! I was literally afraid to eat anything. Certain things would set it off: gravy, chicken wings, spaghetti sauce, salad (go figure). So....I started eating stricktly a low-fat diet (and did lose quite a bit of weight!). My breakfast consisted of cheerios & skim milk every day. Lunch was a peanut butter & jelly sandwich (lo-fat peanut butter, sugar free jelly and lo-cal bread). I also had reduced fat Vienna finger cookies for dessert! Dinners consisted of turkey, chicken, plain fish (haddock), and cereal! I read every food label and really kept my fats down. Anything greasy or fried would set me off. It was a wicked feeling when I would start to get an attack. Simply unbelievable and painful. I feel so sorry for you having to go through it. The recovery from gall bladder surgery was not bad at all (I had it done laproscopacally). I think that I was back to work after one week (and I'm a teacher....on my feet all day). I still watch what I eat and do continue to eat lo-fat. I can't eat regular pizza (have to eat weight watcher's frozen pizza). I can't eat salad, hamburgers, chicken wings, gravy, and very little spaghetti sauce. The way I look at it.....I'm a healthier person because of it! I do wish you the best and hope that they figure out what it is. I believe the test that determined it for me was the nuclear test where they put an IV in you and make you lie still for 2 hours. Can't remember the name of it. My ultrasounds & CAT scans didn't show anything (no gall stones). Plain & simple...my gall bladder just wasn't functioning 100%.
Best of luck to you, Dawn!
Unread 06-12-2005, 06:00 PM

(((((Dawn))))) girl what are you doing to yourself? I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time (guess I'll have to hop on a plane and go and give you a real again).

I think that I'm understanding, through your posts, that your doctor is aware of these episodes that you are vomiting blood?? If that is the case, I trust that your doctor has a strategy to deal with this issues?

If your doctor is not aware of these vomiting episodes, I agree that you should contact your doctor and explain these symptoms.

I'm sending lots of healing s your way. I do hope that things improve for you, very soon: you've been having problems for far too long. Please be sure to keep us posted.
Unread 06-12-2005, 06:41 PM

Dawn, Dawn, Dawn,
Have I gotten your attention???? Sorry, but I agree with Kim, because , I am a worry wart big time.... If I was in your situation, I would be gone to the hospital , yesterday!!!!I really do feel you need Hugs from all of your sisters on this site.... and if they knew about your post, I am sure they would all respond in kind!!!!I can't relate to your particular malady, but I am sorry I posted so late.... Please keep us informed and we will certainly keep you in our prayers!!! Reeni
Unread 06-12-2005, 06:51 PM

Dawn I'm sorry, but I can't help but think that vomitting blood is not normal and is not something that can wait. Please be sure and mention it on Monday when you have the ultrasound. If it were me, I would be heading to the the docs now, not in a week. I can't imagine how you'll get thru the wedding vomitting blood and feeling as poorly as you do. If you see the doc, perhaps they can at least give you something to feel better until you find out what's wrong.
Unread 06-12-2005, 06:59 PM

I absolutely agree with Kim - go NOW! to the ER! Blood in vomit is not normal even if you have had it before - it could be a bleeding ulcer, if could be a lot of things, but it is not minor. As Kim says, maybe they can give you something to tide you over until the wedding is over. Go NOW, girl, please, for your own, and your family's peace of mind. My DH has acid reflux and has never vomited blood, so I can't say it enough........GO TO THE ER NOW!!! PLEASE. God bless,
Unread 06-12-2005, 07:44 PM

Oh, and by the way, (((((Dawn))))), when I wrote "talk to the doctor", I meant now. Not in a week's time, tomorrow, since you're have the test anyways.

Take care ((((sweetie)))): your sisters are with you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register