fissures | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-12-2005, 04:05 PM
fissures

Has anyone had fissures? These are not in the rectum, but above it on the outside. Ouch. I'm trying to heal them but they keep splitting open. I'm also trying to keep the stools soft so that doesn't happen. I thought I was healing until today when they split open again. Do I need to see a doctor? or can I heal these with some Neosporin or something like that?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2005, 07:55 PM
fissures

Hi Tahil,

I had fissures - boy do they hurt!! They were as a result of the birth of my 9lb 2oz handsome baby boy - 21 years ago! I had an anal sphincterectomy done about 2 years ago (the pain was constant & unbearable) by a colo-rectal surgeon. He told me that surgery is the only way to get rid of them once and for all.....he did offer Botox injections to that area...but I didn't like the idea....and he said they don't always work. But up until then I did manage pretty good with metamucil, sitz baths and a suppository called Camol (sp?) (no prescription needed)when they flared up. I recommend that you see a colo-rectal surgeon .. those fissures are painful! Take care and let us know how you are doing..
Unread 06-12-2005, 08:13 PM
thanks

What is a sphincterectomy? I've had fissures that have healed on their own, small ones, but these are bigger. I had a handsome 10 pound, 7 1/2 ounce boy 10 years ago, but that was by C-section. I believe the constipation is due to my surgery; never had much trouble before and that area being too dry. I've been putting some hemorrhoidal cream on them. Thank you for your advice and time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2005, 04:40 PM
fissures

Hi tahil!

A spincterectomy is a cutting of the spincter muscle. It seems (according to the colo-rectal surgeon) that the spincter muscle contracts & that is what makes the fissure hurt so bad. It made sense to me because when I took a Motrin or Advil I had no pain!
I wouldn't put hemorroid cream on it - the cream dries the area out - which is okay if it's a hemorroid - and that can make healing more difficult. See if you can get the Camol suppositories - the are very soothing and don't contain anything in them that will irritate the area. Good luck and keep us posted!
Unread 06-13-2005, 04:44 PM
thanks

They aren't inside. They are above in what they call the perianal area, above the rectum on the outside. They look like cuts. And they really hurt. I know it is from being constipated since my surgery and I thought I had that under control, but evidently not enough. I'm trying to keep the stools soft so they don't hurt. I haven't put anything on them today so they can heal together. Thanks again for your help.
Unread 06-13-2005, 07:31 PM
fissures

((((Tahil)))) I'm sorry you're dealing with this: while I never delt with fissures personally, my DS, then 4 yo, had some really painful ones and I remember just how hard it was for him

One thing you may want to consider, in addition to keeping the stools soft, would be to provide lubrication in order to facilitate things a little. Back when my DS was dealing with this, his doctor prescribed a lubricating cream (I forget the name: that was 10 years ago ) but it came with an applicator and allowed us to insert the libricant where it was needed.

Your doctor may be able to prescribe the best option for you.

Unread 06-13-2005, 07:38 PM
thanks

Thank you for your help. I've been trying Preparation H and Neosporin and now leaving it dry in order to form a scab. I'm not sure whether to keep lubricating or let them dry for a bit, but thanks again!
Unread 06-14-2005, 02:26 PM
fissures

I had fissures for a long time before and after my rectocel surgery. I healed them by using straight pure petroleum jelly on them before every bowel movement. No exceptions. Now I have no fissures. I still use Vaseline before every bowel movement, no exceptions. It seems like a pain, but it is nothing compared to the pain of a fissure.

Good luck to you,
Mag
Unread 06-14-2005, 03:09 PM
thanks

Thank you so much. I tried to remember to put some hemorrhoid cream on before each bowel movement, but for awhile there ignored it. That has petroleum jelly in it along with other ingredients. You can bet I won't ever forget again. This is for the birds. It's so nice to know there are people out there who know how you feel.
Unread 06-14-2005, 06:27 PM
fissures

In my DS's case, the lubrification was used in order to help prevent straining, and, possibly, causing more fissures, by lubricating the anal canal. It wasn't to treat the fissures. Since his fissures were internal, they were left to heal on their own.

What does your doctor recommend as the best approach?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register