TVH/BSO - My Story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH/BSO - My Story TVH/BSO - My Story

Unread 06-13-2005, 05:07 AM
My TVH Story

Well, I'm ready to tell!!
I had my TVH/BSO June 7th. My surgery was scheduled for 7:30am and I had to be at the hospital at 6am. Once I was registered, they took me up to my room on the maternity floor. I put on the lovely gown and got right into bed. The nurse went through the "20 question" document and took my stats. Then...the dreadful SHAVE!!! She was going to shave my belly, until I reminded her that I was having a TVH! Once that was finished, things started to move rather quickly. The OR person came up with a gurney to get me and then I was on my way. I must also say that 2 nurses tried unsuccessfully to start my IV while in my room (hurt like you can't imagine!). Then, they decided to leave it up to the anesthesia dr. Once I got to the OR "holding area", the anesthesia dr. started my IV and began the wonderful relaxation meds! The only thing I recall after that is hearing someone ask me to put my arms out straight (they strapped them down). I vaguely remember the mask on my face. Unfortunately, I don't even remember if I was able to see my doctor before going into surgery! It was all a blur! I remember waking up in my room moaning and groaning from the pain (yes....it was pain comparabel to child birth!!). I had oxygen on, a thing on my finger to measure my heart rate and the blessed morphine pump. I recall a nurse coming in to wash me up from surgery (asking me to roll over....I could hear her asking, but could not comprehend what I had to do!!). The catheter didn't seem to bother me at all, yet, the nurse was concerned because it wasn't draining (air bubbles). I slept the rest of the day. Surgery took 2 hours and I was back in my room by 11:45am. The next morning, my doctor came first thing and took the packing out (I couldn't even feel that it was in there!). She listened to my heart, lungs & bowels. Everything was ok. The catheter came out and I was able to eat a liquid diet for breakfast & lunch. I did shower that morning and felt like a new person! And I walked...and walked...and walked....and had no problems passing gas. I finally ate real food for dinner (turkey sandwich). I had a bad headache all day and the following night. I also developed bad cramps. The morphine pump was stopped the morning after surgery and I was on percocet every 3 hours. I also used a heating pad that the nurse gave me. The morphine did make me a bit nauseaus following surgery, but they gave me something to combat it, so I never really got sick. I was able to go home the following day and have been doing pretty good since. I am taking Colace and have had to also use milk of mag. I can tell when I over do things, as my belly swells and my insides hurt. Other than that, I have not yet had any symptoms of surgical menopause. I'm hoping that I will be one of the lucky ones who will not need HRT!! I hope my story gives insight to those ladies who are waiting! I am so happy that I had this surgery and I wish the very best to those who will be going to the castle soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register