Heartburn, What Would be Likely Cause? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Heartburn, What Would be Likely Cause? Heartburn, What Would be Likely Cause?

Unread 06-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Heartburn, What Would be Likely Cause?

Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing moderate heartburn for 2 weeks now off and on every day. I don't recall being a heartburn sufferer...maybe a little bit when I was pregnant (19 years ago).

I try to eat well...certainly a low fat diet.

Recently I was in the ER for a UTI and I asked the Dr. there what could the reason be for heartburn and he said there could be many....I gave him a bit of family history and my Dad suffered a stroke when he was 43, he is still alive but I wonder if my heart is having issues. I do notice some heart palpitations during tough yard work or extreme "Saturday house cleaning days". Kinda the same time the heartburn issue started. The Dr. wrote a scrip for some hearburn meds and I tried one that same day and the heartburn stayed for a long time so I wasn't thrilled with the medication and I don't want to take medicaton if I don't really need it.

The other possiblity he thought might be Gall Bladder or a pocket or something in my upper stomach...not sure what that is called....but he did say that was a common cause.

Just thought I'd try posting and see if anyone would like to comment.

Thanks,
Carla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2005, 12:50 PM

By pocket in your upper stomach, do you mean hiatal hernia? I had a big hiatal hernia along with severe GERD symptoms. I had heartburn almost constantly. I ended up having surgery to repair the hernia and create a new lower esophageal sphincter.

That's my experience with heartburn. I know that certain NSAIDS have caused me to have heartburn. Also certain foods, like chocolate, bread, ice cream.......and eventually everything I ate gave me heartburn. None of the medications I was given helped me, that's why I ended up with surgery.

If it continues, definately see your doctor about it. If you have any thoughts at all that it might be heart related, then please see a doctor. In my case, the doctor's always suspected a heart problem and they would do tests to rule that out first.
Unread 06-15-2005, 12:51 PM

Carla,

You did not say what med you tried for the heartburn. I think there are many meds and some work on the spot and some take many days to work. I'd see my doctor if I were you about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2005, 01:59 PM

Pasdechat,

Interesting...had you ever had heartburn prior to the need for surgery?
Even today..I had lunch at 12:00, it is now 4 pm and I still have heartburn.
I did mean Hiatal Hernia, just wasn't sure of the medical term.

Michelle,

The med began with a "P", I don't recall the name.

Thank you both for your input. I will get an appt. in and get checked out.

Thanks
Carla
Unread 06-15-2005, 02:16 PM

Carla, Could the med be Prevacid or Prilosic? Both of these are used for heartburn but take it from me you must take them for a few days to keep the heartburn at bay and contiue taking them even if you feel better. Otherwise, I would check back with your doctor. Like pasdechat said it could be a hiatal hernia, GERD or acid reflux. s!

Emily
Unread 06-15-2005, 02:45 PM

No, I never had heartburn problems except during my pregnancies. It always went away after the pregnancy, but after my last pregnancy(twins), it got better, but never completely went away. Over the three years after their birth it got really severe and that's when I had surgery. So, for me, it appears that maybe it was caused by my last pregnancy???? The surgeon told me that I had a very large hole in my diaphram and that's why I had the hernia, but he was shocked at how big the hole was.

I tried all the "P" names.....pepcid, prilosec, protonix, etc......none worked for me, but I think for most people, they work well. It is true that you have to take them consistently for them to work.

Good luck!
Unread 06-15-2005, 02:48 PM

Oh yeah.........definately make an appointment to see your doctor. I'm sure they'll mess around with meds first to see if something works, but they might want to do some testing. I've had it ALL done, so if you have any questions, let me know.
Unread 06-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Reguarding Heartburn

After the Doc rules out the heart thing, Another possibility is something called Helocobactor bacteria or H. Pylori for short. I suffered with sevear heartburn for years, I had an upper G.I. done and only showed inflamation of the esophogis, I was on all the P's also and nothing would work finally an elderly man I worked for mentioned this H. Pylori. I sugested it to my Doc because at that point she was over medicating me with zantac giving me double the recomended dose which was causing heart palpitations. Any way they can do a simple blood test for this. I was loaded with this bacteria! They had said the pharmisutcal (sp) companys don't want people to know about this conditon because they've discovered 80% of people with ulcers have this conditon and it can be CURED! And for whatever reason the Doc's don't readily think of testing for it. In other words they would loose alot of money. They said that most people's imune systems can fight off this bacteria and have no ill effects , well mine *****! Anyway this was approximently 10 years ago when I was tested for this and to eradicate the bacteria I had to take 15 pills a day for 2 weeks, needless it was'nt pretty, lost all kinds of weight and ended up with thrush from the antibiotics but it was well worth it! I had been sleeping in a recliner for 8 months because all I had to do was lay down to get the heartburn. Anyway they've come along way with the treatment from what I've heard and now I believe it's only 3 or 4 pills a day. And I was also told it was rare in women. This is just some FYI if anyone has been suffering for a long time. Sorry so long! Netty
Unread 06-16-2005, 06:44 AM

Netty,

That is just what I'm afraid of, having the Dr. say..."Here take this". I don't want to pop a pill every day. I don't think someone goes from no heartburn to daily heartburn overnight.
My burn didn't calm down till 10 pm last night.

Thanks for you info, I was not aware of that. You must have been going crazy over that one!

Carla
Unread 06-16-2005, 10:13 AM

Hi - heartburn can develop rather suddenly. I used to have a "cast iron stomach" - could eat anything with no problems. And I had very little heartburn with pregnancy. Suddenly I started getting heartburn - with no obvious food connection - sometimes even before I ate anything. I assumed it was from getting fatter or eating a poor diet and just mentioned it in passing (because I was sure she'd tell me it was from being fat) to my MD. She immediately sent me off for an endoscopy which showed GERD and a small hiatal hernia. I've been on Protonix now for about 4-5 years and that has taken care of the heartburn for me. She told me that heartburn can develop suddently and that if left untreated, can lead to serious problems - Barrett'e esophagus - which can be a precursor to esophageal cancer. She said heartburn is serious and does need to be treated with more than OTC meds like TUMS.
And I found out that there is a hereditary link - my mother also had GERD (and was NEVER fat), and my oldest DS may have it (also a very thin person). There is some indication that babies who are "spitty babies" may be more likely to have GERD as adults (and my DS was a VERY spitty baby).
Do check it out - don't ignore it. Taking a pill a day is pretty easy, compared with the problems that could come from not treating it.
The endoscopy is done with sedation and is not a big deal at all (even for major wusses like me).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register