Heartburn, What Would be Likely Cause? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Heartburn, What Would be Likely Cause? Heartburn, What Would be Likely Cause?

Unread 06-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Reguarding heartburn

Carla, yes it was awful to say the least! The Doctor also told me that my oldest son would probably have it also because I had had it prior to haveing him,but that there was no point in testing him because he was too young to go through all the medications. But as I said takeing all the meds. for 2 weeks was well worth it, I havent had to take anything for heartburn since! As I said before they can do a blood test for this condition to see if you have it. Good luck to you! Netty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Heartburn, What Would be Likely Cause?

I understand not wanting to make medication forever, but I can tell you that I was standing at Wal-Mart when Prilosec OTC became available and it has changed my life.

Like you, I never had heartburn except for my pregnancies until a few years ago. It went from being an occasional thing to an almost everyday thing to an all-day-everyday kind of thing, and it was miserable! At times when I would eat I couldn't even get food down. It was like the acid rushed up or something and my esophagus closed up or something. Anyway, popping that little Prilosec has really made a huge difference for me.

I hope you can find an answer to your problems. I know how miserable it can be.
Unread 06-20-2005, 07:35 AM

Thanks for all the replies!! (great site for info)

Did go to the ER to try and get a jump on the root cause. They were able to give me an oral dose of Malox with a nubming agent. That was weird and supplied about 10 min. of releif.
They did a set of x-rays and found nothing so had a Dr. appt. next day.....they did an ultrasound and so far so good. They also did a blood test to rule out Pylori. I haven't heard back on that one yet so I'm guessing that is out.
I am set up for the Upper GI series with the barrium and x-rays in August.
The Dr. said the main contributors are known to be orange juice, pinapple, tomatoes, chocolate and coffee.

In the meantime I will start taking Protonix to keep the acid at bay.

Carla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2005, 08:09 AM

Carla, My DH takes Protonix and it works well for him. Good luck with your tests. Please let us know what they find out. I have been there and it isn't fun!

Emily s
Unread 06-20-2005, 08:16 AM

I, too have acid reflux. I tried so many meds (reglan, prilosec, prevacis, zantac).....the only one that works for me is Protonix. I've been on it for 2 years now. I also have the head of my bead up on 2 bricks, which keeps my head higher than my feet when I sleep. It was a wicked year for me 2 years ago with the onset of gall bladder problems. They took that out and I was STILL getting violently ill. So then they decided it was acid reflux!! I'm still wondering about this H. Pylori thing. I'd heard about it, but was never tested. Is this something that just lives in you and flares up? I know that the strep b that I have does that. It showed up in vaginal swabs, in my ingrown toe infections, and my son was born with it. Just wondering if H. Pylori is the same.
Unread 06-20-2005, 08:20 AM

Carla, I went through all of that testing too. Nothing ever showed up on the tests until finally the GI doctor did a 24 pH test. This test wasn't alot of fun, but it gave me the answers I needed. They put a tube through your nose and down your esophagus and into your stomach. I had to wear it for 24 hours. This told the doctor so much! I also had an upper endoscopy and that showed that I had a hiatal hernia. But it was the pH test that showed how severe my reflux was. Anyway, I guess my point is, if you don't get any answers from your upcoming tests, don't give up......there's more testing they can do. I did not get any answers from the upper GI, but alot of people do, so I hope that test will give you some answers.........keep us posted
Unread 06-20-2005, 10:31 AM

Is the upper GI one of the less invasive (sp?) ones? From what I understand, it involves drinking the barrium..which I have done in other tests so I am familiar with that, but how about the x-ray series are those as simple as standing up or lying down?

Too bad our bodies don't have a restore point like a computer (LOL)
Unread 06-20-2005, 10:51 AM

The upper GI is very simple. It's not invasive at all. The other tests I was talking about are invasive, but worth it when they give you answers Good luck!
Unread 06-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Reguarding H.Pylori

Lisa, Don't quote me on this because as I said it was 10 years ago since I was tested for this ( And we all know what happens to our minds after 40!!) but the way it was explained to me then was this many people can get this bacteria and there immune systems can fight it off but I happen to have one that does'nt. I was told that it can live between the wall of you stomach and lining? And what happen with me was it would eat through the walls of the stomach periododicly which then would become an ulcer. Intionaly ,when they discovered this bactera they thought it had something to do with hygeen (sp)? Because it was common in third world countrys , However they finaly relised it was the weak immune systems that just couldnt fight it off. It's amazing how far they've come with the treatment in just 10 years! As I said I had to take 15 pills a day for 2 weeks, and the older gentelman who had told me about it had to go through some sort of stomach biopsy to be tested, so they have come along way! I really feel for anyone who suffers with heartburn long term it is misserable! Anyway thats the way I remember it, just don't quote me! Netty
Unread 06-20-2005, 08:36 PM

Hi Ossa,
Oh yes, I know what happens to our minds after 40!!!!!!!!!!We probably get tired of the "same old grind " and wish for something new in our lives.... then our mind tells us, "No, you have to keep doing what I am programmed for... Going to work, coming home , doing more work,, maybe get a vacation (maybe), but , then it's back to the same old grind, " and you were always told to listen to your instincts..... But , then we realize that we just want to do something else..... so our minds rebel and start to play tricks on us!!!!!!!!!!!! Got nothing to do with our own personal mentality..... just God's little joke!!!!!!!!!!!!! He just wants to see if we are paying attention, I think.Just my personal opinion!! Hugs, Reeni

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register