No cranberry juice if you have had kidney stones? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No cranberry juice if you have had kidney stones? No cranberry juice if you have had kidney stones?

Unread 06-15-2005, 07:00 PM
No cranberry juice if you have had kidney stones?

does anybody now why?
I love cranberry juice but I have had kidney stones before.
I feel like I have a little blatter irritation and Dr. says UTI test is normal, would like to try cranberry juice, but dont want another kidney stone. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2005, 07:04 PM

Hmm I thought cranberry juics was good if you've had kidney stones? I could be wrong, and now Im really curious.
Unread 06-15-2005, 07:39 PM

Don't know about the stones, however, it is good for prevention of UTIs. It seems that it has something in it that helps create the corrent acid balance in urine. I drink it when I feel an infection coming on.

I did read that you shouldn't drink it if you are anemic. I lost a lot of blood with my surgery so I did a lot of research on iron-rich foods. I also read about foods to avoid and it seems that cranberry juice slows down or blocks iron absorption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2005, 12:48 AM

The acid level in cranberry juice is very high, hence why one shouldnt consume it after suffering kidney stones.

Concerning drinking cranberry juice to help with UTI symptoms--this is another no-no; cranberry is a huge bladder irritant to an already angry bladder. If youre feeling symptoms similar to that of a UTI,though no infection present per culture, you might be suffering from bladder spasms. You can go to your local pharmacy and purchase AZO Standard--this is OTC Pyridium which helps relieve bladder pain associated with UTI's and other bladder conditions. Should the problem persist, it would be wise to return to your Dr for another UTI culture just to make sure there is definitely no infection. Your Dr will also be able to prescribe you something to help with the bladder pain thats a bit more productive that anything you could get OTC.

Stay well
diana
Unread 06-16-2005, 09:57 PM

o wow i have had kidney stones before and i was told it was good to drink it
Unread 06-16-2005, 10:03 PM

I only read it on the front page under bladder infections, it does say NOT to drink it if you have had kidney stones. It is the first I had heard of it.
Unread 06-16-2005, 10:03 PM

About 1 week after my surgery, I was having slight pain just after urination. My nurse said this could be irritation from the cathater. She suggested cranberry juice and eating blueberries. This is supposed to help neutralize the acid of my urine and if the pain went away, then it was just an irritation. If it did not help, it was probably a bladder infection and then I would be tested. The blueberries I used were from the can, not the pie baking kind, but just in a lite juice. Even 6 weeks post op I still add them to my cereal...they are really yum.

My husband had kidney stones, and I did read online that cranberry juice is NOT good for those who have had the stones.

Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 06-16-2005, 10:24 PM

I have heard for some that drinking cranberry juice has helped with urinary symptoms and preventing UTI's. I have a mom and sister who drink it when their bladder starts getting irritated and swear by it! I'd never heard that it shouldn't be taken with a UTI.

I am a kidney stone sufferer and was told by my URO that cranberry juice was one of the worst things I could drink. Tea is also another one to avoid if you suffer from stones.

jmw
Unread 06-17-2005, 05:21 AM

Cranberry Juice is good for UTI's and for passing Kidney stones too much of anything can cause a Kidney stone such as Calcium etc. But it shouldn't cause them if anything it helps them pass if you did have stones. You could always try the Cranberry supplements they help prevent UTI's. GOOD LUCK!
Unread 06-17-2005, 06:04 AM

Hi ladies,
My 2 cents. When I had my cat scan it showed I have 2 small kidney stones.. too small to treat at this time. ( future fun? ) So I went to see a urologist .. on the list of things to avoid was cranberry juice....They have a high uric acid content .He said anything that stimulate the uric acid in the kidneys could contribute to them. So at this point that is one clear liquid I am steering clear of. I have had enough " fun". I was surprised to see tea on the one serving a day, list, also.
Good luck,
W/B

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register