Hospital Stay for TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Stay for TAH Hospital Stay for TAH

Unread 06-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Hospital Stay for TAH

How long were you in the hospital for your TAH? My doctor says I'll probably be in 3-4 days, depending on how everything goes, of course. I'm just trying to get an idea so I can try to plan accordingly.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Hospital Stay for TAH

I had a TAH on a Friday and came home Monday at 9:00 pm. They wanted me to stay another night, but I had enough of my room mate. Good luck!!
Unread 06-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Hospital Stay for TAH

I went in on a Weds and came home on a Sat morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Hospital Stay for TAH

My TAH/BSO surgery was on Thursday morning. I was released on Sunday afternoon.

I see a lot of posts from ladies who want to get out immediately/sooner than the docs originally say. My perspective was that I wanted to stay in long enough to be able to get around well enough that I didn't put extra work on my post-op caregivers. Three nights was perfect for me to acheive both of those goals. My doc was spot on with her recommendation that I spend 3 nights.
Unread 06-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Hospital Stay for TAH

I had mine on a Thursday morning. My doctor told me to expect to be in 'til Monday. On Sunday morning, though, he said I could go home if I wanted to, so I did.

Good luck!
Unread 06-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Hospital Stay for TAH

My doctor said I would be in for 2-3 days. I had surgery on Thursday and on Saturday I had passed all the tests required for my release. He asked me if I wanted to go home or stay another day. I told him I wanted to go home because I was just so uncomfortable in that bed and there really wasn't anything else they could do for me. I had already been up and walking a bit so I knew I could get around. I also don't have kids and my husband is a great nurse so that is something you'll want to factor in if you have a choice.
3 days

3 days for me! actually, they would NOT let me go home untill I went to the 'loo' (bowel movement). It is usually a general rule!
Ikoyi
Hospital Stay for TAH

I went in on Monday. Ice chips and ginger ale were slowly taken in between snoozing off the PCA pump.

Liquid diet until Tuesday supper time. That first solid food was the best open face roast beef sandwich I've had in my LIFE! I don't think I've ever been so happy about steamed broccoli, either.

Wednesday the IV and catheter came out. After a couple of tries I could pee on my own. I "forgot" to ask for oral pain meds until almost bed time.

Thursday morning the staples came off (odd but not painful) and I went home before 11 am with a prescription for pain meds and an appointment to see the doc in a week.

The closest thing I had to a complication was that I had hoped for a TVH. If that had happened, I would have gone home Tuesday night. But the best laid plans will be rewritten by Murphy's Law, I suppose. Fibroids, uterus and pelvic tension meant that it had to be a TAH, which I knew could be a possibility when I went in.

Best wishes to you for an uneventful surgery, a comfy recovery and improved health.
Unread 06-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Hospital Stay for TAH

I went in on Wednesday morning, and I was out of the castle Friday at about 9AM, right after they removed my staples. Not so bad!
Unread 06-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Hospital Stay for TAH

Hi there

I went in 5am Saturday, had the op and was allowed home Wednesday - 4th day post op, BUT only on the very strict understanding that I did nothing more than I was doing in hospital - which was just drinking, going to the loo, and wandering up and down the corridor. DH promised he would wait on me hand and foot...so far he hasn't let me down

I think it often depends on how much help there will be at home as well as your own physical condition. I had a bad first night with no pain meds as my blood pressure was very low; but from then on what with starting to eat again and moving around - most important - things improved considerably. I had no cause to take any bowel stuff at all, just eating sensibly and drinking loads did it for me.

Hope everything goes well.

TAH BSO

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register