Two weeks post-op, questions on difficult recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two weeks post-op, questions on difficult recovery Two weeks post-op, questions on difficult recovery

Unread 06-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Two weeks post-op, questions on difficult recovery

I'm two weeks post-op (surgery was June 2nd), and have been home almost a week now. I ended up being in the castle 9 nights instead of the planned 2 nights due to infection, fever, poor white blood counts. I'm feeling SO much better since coming home, I think just coming home has rapidly progressed my recovery. I still move slowly at times, and can't do simple things like bending over to put on my own pants, or things like that, but I'm able to do other things now that I couldn't just a week ago.

The visiting nurse and the doctor I saw today (my regular doc is away until next week, I see him on Tuesday) have both said a portion of my incision may have to be reopened. After what I've already gone through, I sincerely hope this won't have to happen. My body doesn't handle things well (as proven by my initial complications and long castle saty), so I really don't want to have setbacks at this stage.

I do, however, still have quite a bit of drainage from the incision. The doctors aren't concerned about it. They keep saying it's good that it's coming out, and I'm sure it is. I just wish I had an idea of how long it's normal for this to continue. The doctors and my visiting nurse won't give a timeframe, and I know they can't say for certain anyway. But I was wondering if anyone else experienced drainage and how long it lasted for them?

I also went through a spell (self-pity I'm sure) while in the hospital where I kept crying and wish I'd never had this done. Unlike most of you, I didn't have any physical problems or severe pain or anything as the reason for the surgery. My surgery was to remove all my organs as a prevention for cancer (thankfully none was found during the surgery). So I know I really had no choice, but while dealing with the complications, I was SO sorry I had it done and cried many times over it. Now that I'm feeling a bit better, my head has taken over and I know again that I did the right thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Reply to Redfox

HI Redfox,
Hope you are feeling much better now that time has passed. The regret you felt I am sure is quite normal. I too felt regret even knowing that it was a life or death situation for me. Koptos to you on your progress. You're not alone. Chanty
Unread 06-17-2005, 07:08 PM

I am praying things are better for you now!!!
I may be the only one that never regretted having my Hyster.Mine was not life threatening.I am the one that asked for it to be done.I was finished with applying band-aids (figure of speach) for something that needed removed.
Hold your head up high and look at all that you have been through and can be happy about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2005, 07:20 PM

I am sorry you have had to suffer like this. I had an LAVH so I didn't have the big incision, I have had a c setion though, the old fashioned "big one" which did become infected, it did drain, and it did have to be opened a little by the doctor, the good news is that with all the infection there and it being already traumatized scarring tissue, I didn't feel a thing when he did it, it was done right in his office, and I left with a prescription for antibiotics, as far as how long it will drain for, it's basically until the infection is gone, the draining is a good sign though, if it were to heal over with infection in there, then they would most likely need to open it to allow it out to prevent it from spreading. I had no major complications with this surgery, and at 2 weeks I had a meltdown because my dr had told me after about 2 weeks I'd be feeling much better and walking at my normal pace, however I also could not reach my feet, and my boyfriend had to help me with my socks. Which is a major compromise when you consider I am 22 and pre operative I was doing yoga 4 days a week and keeping pace with my 2 year old!
I kept my ovaries, but still did experience some hormonal swings which explained a lot of my tears, and the first time I saw a new baby post op I thought I'd explode, but at the same time, it was a decision 8 years in the making, and it was time. I would do it again in a heartbeat if left to make the decision again! 11 weeks out now, and feeling great! No contortionist stuff yet, but feeling better than ever!!!
Unread 06-25-2005, 12:26 AM
go sox

Hello,
I am sorry you had such an initially difficult recovery and hope it is getting better for you. I also wanted to respond to you because I am a HUGE Red Sox Fan. Sitting 1/2 game out of first isn't a bad place to be when Baltimore seems to be on a losing streak. Remember with the healing, patience is a virtue. With our experience as Red Sox fans, we should know that. 86 years, and the wait for arguably the best playoffs and World Series win ever, was well worth it. I still remember crying when the ball went between Buckner's legs. Oh, the horror. Be patient and get better.
Unread 06-25-2005, 07:53 AM

UPDATE

The drainage has almost stopped finally. My doctor is very pleased with how the incision has healed, it's almost completely closed at last. I feel great, but am still under very strict restrictions. I still can't drive and have not been told when I might be able to. It's looking like I'll be out of work the full 8 weeks, with the possibility of it being even longer. I'll be glad when I can do simple things like change sitting position on the sofa without it being so much work!

I can't believe how far I've come in the past 2 weeks though. I'm finally believing the doctor when he says I WILL get back to normal (well, at least normal for me, lol). It will take a while, but I'll get there.

Sue

P.S. Winnie: We are currently in first place. Woooo hoooo!!
Unread 06-25-2005, 08:00 AM
glad it is better

I am so happy to hear that you are looking at some progress. I got an infection on my incision 6 days after surgery. The very middle of my incision did not completely close until after 4 weeks post op. There was a dissolvable stitch working its way to the surface that was keeping it from closing. The doc said to leave it alone and let it fall out and heal naturally.

I thought he was wrong-but I did listen and it did fall out.

Draining incisions are much better than completely closed ones with the fluid building up behind them and causing all kinds of havoc.

's and best wishes for week by week progress.
Unread 06-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Getting there

I'm glad you're finally making some improvements. Perhaps you are biometrically linked to the Red Sox. They finally got to first place and you finally started feeling a teeny bit better. You will get back to normal, hopefully before the playoffs.
Wishing you well.
Unread 06-25-2005, 09:31 AM

Redsoxfan, so glad you are starting to feel better! 9 nights is too dang long to spend in such a place as the hospital. I hope your incision continues to heal better now and that everything is smooth sailing from now on.
Unread 06-25-2005, 09:51 AM

Normal?!?!?!? I didn't know the meaning of the word before surgery! Just wait, it's a great feeling to go a day without pain! It gets even better! I didn't realize until after I was better how limited and controlled I was!
I am glad to hear you are doing better! The "good days" become more frequent until eventually they've taken over enough you stop counting!

Best Wishes!

Heather

age 22 LAVH Mar 30/05

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register