Clothes to Buy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Clothes to Buy? Clothes to Buy?

Unread 03-16-2001, 01:25 PM
Clothes to Buy?

Hi!

Any suggestions for close to buy after surgery. Do you stay in p.j's the most? When is it comfortable to wear clothes and what would be the best? I don't believe I'll be wearing my jeans anytime soon so I need suggestions. I'm getting as much done ahead of time as possible. My TAH/BSO is scheduled for 4/25.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2001, 01:45 PM
Clothes to Buy?

I stayed in pajamas a lot at first, primarily because it reminded visitors/friends/family that I was still recovering. If you start getting dressed, you start hearing, "Oh, you look so good" and they start expecting too much! Of couse, if I was alone, I would get dressed and go for a walk - don't tell anyone!

I found men's pajamas very comfortable. I bought the smallest ones I could find. The large, drawstring waists were great, because they came up well above my large vertical incision. Also, the button-up tops were great because I didn't have to reach my arms up and pull them over my head.

Once I felt like wearing clothes again, I wore sweat pants or leggings, and button-up shirts (I had trouble getting anything over my head for a couple of weeks).

It's not only important to have comfortable clothes ready, but also have them handy! Do NOT put them in a drawer that you will have to bend over to open, or on a shelf that you will have to reach up to! I made sure everything in the house that I could possibly need was at waist height, on a counter or something. The house looked a little cluttered for awhile, but it was worth it!

Good luck!
Unread 03-16-2001, 02:24 PM
A-line dresses are a must!

I went to Sam's Club and found some tank dresses for 9.00. I only bought one, but am sending Dh for some more. I only had long night gowns and tshirts to sleep in, so the dresses (one size larger) are fantastic. I'm 4 days post-op, so the big ones are wonderful..

Dani
TVH 3-13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2001, 02:29 PM
Clothes to Buy?

Michelle - I had tah/bso last March and stayed in short cotton nightshirt/gowns (baggy) my entire recovery. Being comfy is the main thing!!!
Unread 03-16-2001, 02:30 PM
Clothes

I have pretty much lived in my sweat pants and large t-shirts. I am 10 days post op today. Our anniversary was Wednesday, 8 days post-op and I was able to wear my blue jeans to dinner. I wore this pair the day before surgery, then told everyone not to wash them. I had them stretched out enough that I was really pretty comfortable. I did go out and get big undies. I bought some that were just a size bigger than normal. Then I got worried and went to Target, (like a K-mart sort of if you don't have Target's), and got 2 pairs of maternity undies. They had them where it was one size fit 38 to 52. They were very comfy the first few days. Now the others seem fine too. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Unread 03-16-2001, 02:30 PM
Clothes to Buy?

It makes me feel better to have something besides my gown on, so I lay around in sweat pants that are at least one size too large. They're comfy and still presentable for company.
Unread 03-16-2001, 02:41 PM
clothes...

I'm three weeks post op and spent the first two weeks at home wearing flannel pj bottoms (a size bigger and with drawstrings) and a t-shirt during the day. I did spend a lot of time in bed during the day, but at night I took off the bottoms because I would get all tangled up in the blankets and tossing and turning with an abdominal incision hurt too much. Nylon bottoms and/or tops can help that problem, but I didn't have any, so just opted for the t-shirt at night. Also I am still having night sweats and just get too hot with a pj's on. This week I'm dressing more and am not in bed that much during the day, except to take a nap, so I'm in sweat pants or leggings and a t-shirt or sweat shirt or a flannel shirt. Raising my arms over my head didn't hurt my tummy, so that hasn't been an issue for me. I have a bikini incision, so that may be part of it. If you had a larger, vertical incision, raising your arms may be more uncomfortable at first. Also one more tip, in regards to undies...I took a suggestion of a fellow sister and went to Target and bought a pack of three maternity undies. They have two sizes...one fits hips 30-52, which is most women I think! And the other is for plus size women. I bought the first size. I wear a size 14 jean. They are comfortable 100% cotton, they are roomy enough to stretch in the waistband and are not binding at all...very comfortable, especially around the incision. They stretch enough too that they don't ride up (I hate that). I still have trouble wearing my other undies...they are too tight over my swelly-belly, especially by the end of the day.
Unread 03-16-2001, 03:42 PM
Clothes to Buy?

Hi,
I bought three pairs of pull on draw string type slacks at Walmart in the Lingerie department. One pair is silky and is very comfortable, the other two are a polyster blend. I bought them about 2 sizes bigger than I normally wear and they have been very comfortable. I also bought xx large panties which have been great. I'm 3 weeks post op and still can't wear ordinary sizes. I can wear my sweat pants but couldn't imagine getting into jeans. My swelly belly is still very tender and the incision still hurts if I'm on my feet for any length of time. One thing I bought for the hospital that was a God send was aerobics tubes that you normally pull on over the top of your runners and sox. They really protected my elbows from the rough sheets and didn't get in the way for IVs or Blood Pressure cuffs.
Unread 03-16-2001, 03:43 PM
Clothes to Buy?

BrendaC I bought a really cute maternity dress and panties 3x to big to wear home from the hospital. Since I've been home I have pretty much lounged around in either a nightshirt, a big top and sweats or pjs. Just remember, the bottom line is comfort.
Unread 03-16-2001, 04:05 PM
Clothes to Buy?

Hi Michelle,
I wore comfy p.j.'s the first couple of days, but couldn't wait to wear clothes. I wore leggings and turtlenecks and was not only comfy, but felt more human. I even purchased a silk, tank top pajama outfit from Victoria's Secret prior to surgery so that I could feel somewhat like my old self. Even though I was "dressed" no one thought for a minute that I was back to my old self. I think (knowing me) they thought I would go back to normal too soon, so no one encouraged me! I was also one of the ladies who put on make-up prior to leaving the hospital. I needed to feel better about myself and that helped alot.

Best wishes with your surgery and recuperation.

Dee TAH/BSO 1/09/01

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register