Question about Yeast Infection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about Yeast Infection Question about Yeast Infection

Unread 06-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Question about Yeast Infection

Hi Ladies:

I hope everyone is well and enjoying their summer...

Question. I've been on numerous pills since March (Flagel and Zitromax) and the past two weeks I've been fighting a yeast infection.

Saw the Dr. last week and she gave me 150mg of Fluconzole take one pill for 3 days. HOwever I still have it pretty bad. I do have a prescription for Fluconazole 100mg they gave me a few months ago, should I stay on it....Or should I try the over the counter stuff that you insert????

Also, how long before it goes away??

Thank you
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2005, 11:13 AM

I'd follow the doc's instructions. In addition, there is a nutritional supplement pill you can buy at your pharmacy without a prescription....Acidophyllis. Run the idea past your doc, if you like. It has worked wonders for me..........I had yeast in my bloodstream from an outbreak in my colon as a result of too many antibiotics messing up my natural balance.

Hope you find relief soon!..............Deb
Unread 06-18-2005, 11:14 AM

Julie,
If the prescription hasn't worked yet, I doubt that anything over the counter is going to clear it up. I would give the doctor a call before taking something that is over a year old. The med may have expired and perhaps the doctor would prescribe something else. I know it's Saturday, but there is usually someone on call.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2005, 12:08 PM

Hi:

How did you know you have yeast in your bloodstream???

My prescription is only 3 months old not a year.... I have been on so many pills no wonder I can't get rid of it, at least I don't have the itching, a little burning...

Oh has anyone heard of a SOLID Componment...I had a CT scan done for back pain. They saw my two cysts (simple cysts) on the kidney but found a SOLID COMPONMENT so I have to have a MRI on Tuesday and I'm pretty scared of this (not the MRI) the Componment.....I have had the cysts for years...

Thank you once again...
Julie
Unread 06-19-2005, 03:13 PM

I also seem to have yeast that keeps coming back, and I haven't been on antibiotics since my surgery. I took Diflucan, and it seemed to help briefly. Then when I went back to the doctor I either still had it or it was back again. I refilled the RX and also used a homeopathic, over the counter suppository that is inserted nightly for seven days. It worked for a short time too.

I've been taking acidophillus for months but it doesn't seem to help.

It has since come back again. I read in a book by a gynecologist that plain yogurt--the kind with live, active cultures can also be used to rebalance the PH in your vagina. (It was a home remedy used long before there were medicines.) I've also read this online when I was looking for alternatives to prescription medicine. I have used it externally and internally since yesterday and I feel better already. The doctor's comments were that it can be used nightly for five days.

However, you may want to check with your own doctor before you try this.
Unread 06-19-2005, 03:34 PM

I had several NASTY bouts of yeast and the only cure I found was BORIC ACID supp's.

Your Dr. can give you Rx for them and a compounding pharmacy can fix it up in a glycerin base. You can also get them on line if you search out Boric acid vaginal suppositories. I've got the name of the online site I bought mine from somewhere around here.

That was the ONLY thing that help me and I keep them on hand in the Rx drawer all the time. They were a magic bullet for me!

Funny how something that is used and will kill the common cockroach, who has survived for 265 million years!, will help a yeast infection...amazing!!
Unread 06-19-2005, 10:19 PM

AZO pills at any drug store work well too.
Unread 06-20-2005, 05:53 AM

Thank you ladies...Man I hate Yeast Infections.... Today it seems a little better.....THANK YOU GOD....

Julie
Unread 06-20-2005, 08:16 AM

I've had good luck with the boric acid suppositories, too. I've also inserted acidophilus capsules intravaginally for maintenance (check with your doctor first), and that helps--but it's very important that these be powder inside capsules so they dissolve well. Tablets and geltabs just get icky and irritating.
Unread 06-20-2005, 09:55 AM

Julie:

I've had yeast in my bladder now twice in two months. My doc prescribed 2 doses of Diflucan (generic is what you took). One the first day and one 3 days later. Seems to have done the trick now both times. Call your doc and ask about a followup dose.

I think my Ph has been getting imbalanced as my ovaries are shutting down and as I try to work with the estrogen add back and that's caused the yeast overgrowth. Weird that its in my bladder and not vaginal. I think beer has also aided and abetted (I mean 1 beer occassionally ... way below the Texas average consumption level)

I eat yogurt but would be hesitant to apply it externally or internally. The Dannon natural flavor vanilla is yummy as a smoothie you can make in your blender. 1 cup yogurt. 1 cup ice. 1 cup fruit (this part is where the experimenting gets fun... I've used bananas, strawberries, rasberries, orange juice ... they are all good for me). Plus drinking something cold is a great way to get thru a hot flash and the smoothie is way healthier than a cold beer!

Feel better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register